Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: "Old" Prices

Default "Old" Prices

I just remembered about a "shopping" bookie that my Dear Late Mum had, which she actually carried on from her Mother. My Grannie had dated hers - from November 1934, but sadly I don't have the dates for my Mum's entries :

I know that my Mum's lists were for groceries bought from "The Van" and was given the authenticity of his "signature" every time.

What really tickled me is that about every third/fourth entry there is a wee bit at the bottom stating "sweeties", obviously as an after-thought - thats cos I remember myself and my brother literally running up the road from school, on a Monday, when we saw "The Van" at the house (we'd more often miss it !!) - hoping our Mum would allow us a wee sweetie!!!

Mostly we were disappointed, cos, when we were young money was very tight, so a Mars Bar was like a bar of solid gold to me and my brother !!!

Here's a wee excerpt from my Mum's "Bookie" - c. 1972 (???)

tea - 9 + 1/2 pence
    sugar - 10 pence
    butter - 26 pence
    bread - 11 pence
    bisc. - 27 + 1/2 pence
    peas - 4 + 1/2pence
    beans - 4 + 1/2 pence
    dog food - 11 pence
    marmalade - 12 pence
    milk - 6 1/2 pence
    sweets (!!) - 6 pence
    disinfectant - 9 + 1/2 pence
    Lifebuoy Soap - 9 + 1/2 pence
    toilet roll - 10 + 1/2 pence

Her average shopping bill from "The Van" would be about £1.60 !!!!!

Default Those were the days.

That's very interesting Iffy and it's good to make some comparisons with how some products are have increased or decreased in relative terms.

Things could not have been that tight financially as I see toilet roll on the list.
    You know times are tough when you have to go to the outside toilet down the garden and the toilet paper is the News Of The World cut up into squares and hanging on a bit of wire behind the door.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Hi Iffy

I think your mum's list might have been before 15 February 1971, as that's when decimalisation was introduced in the UK and Northern Ireland . I remember being very sad to lose ha'pennies, thruppences, sixpences and half crowns, and being able to say something cost 'five bob' .

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    That's very interesting Iffy and it's good to make some comparisons with how some products are have increased or decreased in relative terms.

Things could not have been that tight financially as I see toilet roll on the list.
    You know times are tough when you have to go to the outside toilet down the garden and the toilet paper is the News Of The World cut up into squares and hanging on a bit of wire behind the door.

Hang on there, this is 1972 you know and NOT WW1. What makes you think that in 1972 Toilet Paper was a Luxury and outside toilets. I do not think so as even in Dundee, as that where I was living and working in 1972, these were all but gone.

Now if you had said the same thing about 1952 then I remember things almost as you stated.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    Hi Iffy

I think your mum's list might have been before 15 February 1971, as that's when decimalisation was introduced in the UK and Northern Ireland . I remember being very sad to lose ha'pennies, thruppences, sixpences and half crowns, and being able to say something cost 'five bob' .
    No I think it is from 1972 for if your read the prices they are in Decimal Coinage and Not LSD, Pound Shillings and Pence.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    No I think it is from 1972 for if your read the prices they are in Decimal Coinage and Not LSD, Pound Shillings and Pence.

How true !

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Hang on there, this is 1972 you know and NOT WW1. What makes you think that in 1972 Toilet Paper was a Luxury and outside toilets. I do not think so as even in Dundee, as that where I was living and working in 1972, these were all but gone.

Now if you had said the same thing about 1952 then I remember things almost as you stated.

Hi, Thats very scary becuase I actually remember our out-door toilet - though I can't remember wot I actually "used" to "finish off" - GOSH I wiz only a wee bairn at the time !!!!
    Last edited by Iffy; 06-Oct-09 at 21:04. Reason: wrong name

Default Toilet

I got married in 1972, and yes, life was slightly more comfortable in the loo at that time, but it was only in the late sixties that we had a inside toilet fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post

Did you get sick of your arse hitting the headlines?

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Did you get sick of your arse hitting the headlines?

Boom, Boom. Or is it bum,bum?