Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: do you talk in a Caithness accent

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • full Caithness accent

48 34.04%
  • Caithness accent a wee bit

56 39.72%
  • no Caithness accent at all

37 26.24%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caithness accent

Default Norfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cornwall View Post
    Have you been down my neck of the woods lately
    It's not the accent that troubles me in Norfolk, but the web feet.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    It's not the accent that troubles me in Norfolk, but the web feet.
    Oh, the ironing.

Only sometimes, if I'm arguing with someone then all the Caithness slang and words come out LOL.
    I definitely don't spell or type that way though, I can't stand when I talk to someone in a forum and they type using the Caithness slang.
    But even worse than that is when a snob comes up here and tries to pass comment on my accent - they need to recognise what part of the world they are in and that I'm not going to put on a posh accent for nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by emc246 View Post
    Only sometimes, if I'm arguing with someone then all the Caithness slang and words come out LOL.
    I definitely don't spell or type that way though, I can't stand when I talk to someone in a forum and they type using the Caithness slang.
    But even worse than that is when a snob comes up here and tries to pass comment on my accent - they need to recognise what part of the world they are in and that I'm not going to put on a posh accent for nobody.
    (You are) "An insult to Caithness, its dialect, culture and its identity" - John Cairns

I totally agree with you, though.

You might not believe it but when I went to work in london first of all I had 2 guys arguing as to where I came from, one said belfast, one said glasgow, and up to then I had never been out of Thurso, what a laugh I had!!

Quote Originally Posted by madmissus View Post
    You might not believe it but when I went to work in london first of all I had 2 guys arguing as to where I came from, one said belfast, one said glasgow, and up to then I had never been out of Thurso, what a laugh I had!!
    #I would believe it, we used to get it every time we went to Ibrox- which part of Ulster were we from? Everytime
    Cmey e Scorries

Default Rome

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    My accent changes quite often, i catch on to accents fast. My auntie lived in orkney and at Army Cadet Camp Caithness and Orkney stuck together alot so i can catch on to that accent fast, when im in Skye well.....i catch on to that too. Then when my OH's parents are up visiting from Inverness i get that accent too! Im terrible.

And its a completely different language never mind accent when im drunk!
    Have you ever been to Rome?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

i think our accent is quite nice. i live down in edinburgh just now and most people like the way i speak cause its softer than a lot of edinburgh accents.
    although they do laugh at me a lot. the a is pronounced quite differently down there so they make fun when i say words like card or carrots. they think it sounds like im saying cord and corrots and often have to ask me what im on about!
    i spent ages one day asking where carrie was and all i got back was 'who the hell is corrie?!'

If ur fay edinburgh e spek edinburgh if ur fay glesgow e spek glesgow if ur fay caithness an e dina spek caithness then e must b an in comer!!!!
    Hids no at difficult e surely spek way e accent e wiz born way! Am choost a bak e dicker mind e!

guaranteed!!

Default Caithness accent

Im proud to be caithnessian, i talk the talk and i am not ashamed to speak the lingo, as they say thurso has become so cosmopolitan, folk in the future wont know how a caithnessian really sounded like. I remember going to the doctors and said "my bowg has been really sore" Dr Burnie, looked at me as if i had grown two heads, and said in a loud voice PARDON? so i repeated it, my BOWG is sore, then remembered he was not from caithness, we both could not talk for a few minutes for laughing lol

I've lived in the U.S. much longer than I lived in Caithness. When I first left Caithness, I had to make an effort to pronounce words properly -- either that or repeat everything I said several times before being understood. Now when I come home, some think I have an American accent with some Caithness words, hoose, oot, etc. Yet when I meet people here for the first time, they usually ask me if I'm from Scotland or Ireland.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123