Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Robin

Smile Robin

A robin has been distracting me from my work all afternoon.
    He has been sitting on a bush a few feet from the window, singing his heart out. Every now and then he flies at the window and tries to get a grip between the edge of the frame and the glass. I'm only about three feet from the window and he isn't in the least frightened by me.
    He's really made my day!

Just had a very similar experience myself.
    Whilst washing my car a Robin came to watch. As I moved along the car, he did not move, until I was within one foot of him! Then he flew onto the car. As I continued around, he flew onto the tip of the windscreen wiper blade - wish I had a camera to hand
    What a lovely, tame Robin it was

I'm assuming it's the same robin who came to our bird table all last winter, but he has never let me come so close before.

He's still singing away and flying at the window as I type.

Default Robin

They are a delight to have in the garden and are one of my favorite garden birds.
    I used to enjoy digging my my veg patch on a dry cold winters day and have only the Robin for company.

He (or she, who knows?) would sit close by as i turned over the sods and then nip in for a worm or grub.....mmmm, delightful.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    They are a delight to have in the garden and are one of my favorite garden birds.
    I used to enjoy digging my my veg patch on a dry cold winters day and have only the Robin for company.

He (or she, who knows?) would sit close by as i turned over the sods and then nip in for a worm or grub.....mmmm, delightful.
    Robins are lovely wee birds and you conjured up a lovely image there Kevin.

My robin was still there yesterday afternoon, alternating between the bush and the windowsill, when suddenly there was a flurry and a dark shadow over the window.

I jumped up in time to see a sparrow hawk coming out of the bush and then diving back in again. It came out again and flew away, but I couldn't see if it had anything in its claws. I stood there at the window with my heart in my mouth for what seemed like several minutes, before my little robin flew out from under the bush.

He must have got a terrrible fright, poor little thing, but he's back this morning singing as loudly as ever.

This will be the third year a robin has come to our coal bunker where we nailed a bowl for food for it, I do not know if it's the same bird that comes every year but it is strange, as we have not started putting food in yet.

Do any wild birds have this intelligence I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Anji View Post
    My robin was still there yesterday afternoon, alternating between the bush and the windowsill, when suddenly there was a flurry and a dark shadow over the window.

I jumped up in time to see a sparrow hawk coming out of the bush and then diving back in again. It came out again and flew away, but I couldn't see if it had anything in its claws. I stood there at the window with my heart in my mouth for what seemed like several minutes, before my little robin flew out from under the bush.

He must have got a terrrible fright, poor little thing, but he's back this morning singing as loudly as ever.
    Oh I am so glad your wee Robin survived the Sparrow Hawk attack!

I was in the garden one day and heard the birds making an awful noise in the hedge and when my dog ran up to it a Sparrow Hawk flew out! Thankfully he hadn't caught any of 'my' birdies!

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    This will be the third year a robin has come to our coal bunker where we nailed a bowl for food for it, I do not know if it's the same bird that comes every year but it is strange, as we have not started putting food in yet.

Do any wild birds have this intelligence I wonder.
    Robins are very territorial so it is likely to be the same one. They will kill other Robins who invade their territory!
    I often wonder how birds know where to go to get fed?

Default robin

the cat got my robin 2 weeks ago and we are all missing him

Quote Originally Posted by a9pikey View Post
    the cat got my robin 2 weeks ago and we are all missing him
    Keep putting the feed out, another one will soon take up the vacant territory.

75-80% of all small birds die in their first year of life from all sorts of causes, if a Robin survives to be 3 years old it's done exceptionally well. Many people think they are seeing the same Robin in their garden for year after year, it's more than likely it's several successive Robins, as one dies another will take it's place! It's survival of the fittest in the raw.

There are roughly 8 million cats in the UK, statistically each one will account for about 100 or more live prey species per year, a good percentage of these will be birds. Lets say each cat takes 10 birds a year that's 80 million birds meeting an untimely end annually, having said that it's not really an untimely end, because if the cats don't get them something else will.

Robin.

nirofo.

Default robin

what a cracking foto, well done