Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Which Scottish city would you choose to live in?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aberdeen

9 8.49%
  • Dundee

2 1.89%
  • Edinburgh

14 13.21%
  • Glasgow

8 7.55%
  • Inverness

23 21.70%
  • Stirling

2 1.89%
  • None of the above

48 45.28%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where would you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Not so bad if you're a student as there are pubs and clubs close at hand. But the city is an absolute mess for many people who work there or have to move around the city. Many city centre dwellers are finding it increasingly difficult to get tradesmen to come and do jobs for them without paying a premium.
    In the year of "the Homecoming" the place was an appalling disgrace.
    If the tram project continues as it is even more businesses will move to the periphery.
    It depends where you live for almost everything. For example, you say "Not so bad if you're a student" - well I live in accommodation out near Cameron Toll near KB, in amongst some of the biggest damn houses I've ever seen, and I can assure you that there is not a pub within 20 minutes of walking and not a club within 40 minutes. And I don't really know what you mean by saying "the city is an absolute mess": I'm only in my 4th week here but I've found the public transport (specifically the buses) to be excellent, and everyone seems to be getting on with everything. To be honest I've heard very very few people spend any time complaining about the trams. And I'm not so sure about businesses moving to the periphery - it's not as if it is difficult to get to the shops and stuff on Princes St, and I was there this morning and it didn't seem particularly quiet.

Oh well.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    A lack? This is your 7th poll since June.
    And this one is just as obscure as the rest
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Cities are nice to go to for a short break but to live permanently in a City is frankly crap.
    I see that the option "non of the above" is leading , I think this is probably because contributors to this forum love the small town country life of Caithness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Cities are nice to go to for a short break but to live permanently in a City is frankly crap..
    Based on living in what city? I have lived in a few and I love every thing about it, and I am from a rural/farm background.

I liked staying in Glasgow and Inverness but wouldnt move back to a city to live every again its just far too busy.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Based on living in what city? I have lived in a few and I love every thing about it, and I am from a rural/farm background.
    I wouldn't have said what I said if I had not lived in Cities during my prolonged lifetime. London - Crap, Liverpool -- Really Tatty Crap , Edinburgh - Sophisticated Crap, Tokyo -- Mad Bedlam Crap Capetown -- Scary.
    I'll stick to Caithness now thankyou , where you are welcomed with genuine warmth and has a community spirit that would be hard to match elsewhere

Just what makes London crap? I can't see that myself. It really depends where you lived in London. It is so huge and diverse; it is more down to where you choose to live within it than the city itself.
    Last edited by Boozeburglar; 03-Oct-09 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan16 View Post
    It depends where you live for almost everything. For example, you say "Not so bad if you're a student" - well I live in accommodation out near Cameron Toll near KB, in amongst some of the biggest damn houses I've ever seen, and I can assure you that there is not a pub within 20 minutes of walking and not a club within 40 minutes. And I don't really know what you mean by saying "the city is an absolute mess": I'm only in my 4th week here but I've found the public transport (specifically the buses) to be excellent, and everyone seems to be getting on with everything. To be honest I've heard very very few people spend any time complaining about the trams. And I'm not so sure about businesses moving to the periphery - it's not as if it is difficult to get to the shops and stuff on Princes St, and I was there this morning and it didn't seem particularly quiet.

Oh well.
    Alan16 I hope you enjoy your time in Edinburgh. It’s can be a lovely city with lots of great things going on but today’s Edinburgh isn’t a patch on what it once was. I’ve only just left the Lothians after twenty years and in that time I’ve seen the city go into a steady decline. Over recent years lots of small businesses and shops have moved out initially because the Greenways discouraged trade and latterly because of the increase in road works.
    You’re luckier than most you have a huge choice of buses running you down Clerk Street, Nicholson Street and South Bridge to the West End. Have you been on a No3 or 33 bus in South Bridge at 4.30 PM? It’ll often take an hour to get to Shandwick Place. For many commuters travelling by bus is an adventure because the inward route is not necessarily the same as the outward route. Routes are changed at short notice because of road works.
    The city is a mess because traffic management is done on an ad hoc basis. The road works often leave an area filthy and strewn with all sorts of debris. During this summer visitors had to be issued with maps to enable them to negotiate the length of Princess Street because many pedestrian routes were closed.
    Mobile tradesmen are having a particularly hard time moving around the town and retail businesses lose customers as the road works close off whole streets.
    Edinburgh folk might well ‘get on with it’ but I put that down to their stoicism. They’ve seen all the expensive traffic management experiments come and go including a proposed congestion charge that got vetoed by the residents. Many people are critical of the Trams because they don’t believe the benefits of just one route are worth the widespread inconvenience and cost.
    As I say I hope you enjoy your time in Edinburgh, and good luck with your studies.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by alan16 View Post
    has to be edinburgh. also, note the lack of votes for dump dundee...
    hahaha......

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    And this one is just as obscure as the rest

It's not actually obscure. Slightly misleading, perhaps,but I am guessing the OP intended that.

I've not voted btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan16 View Post
    - well I live in accommodation out near Cameron Toll near KB, in amongst some of the biggest damn houses I've ever seen, and I can assure you that there is not a pub within 20 minutes of walking

Oh well.
    Try south along Mayfield Road just before you get to Liberton Road.

If I had to live in a Scottish city I would choose Glasgow, probably the west side or somewhere along the Clyde.................but thank goodness I live in Caithness and this is where I shall stay.......it's a great place.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'm on Gordon Terrace which runs parallel to Liberton Road, and I know Mayfield Road, so thanks for the advice.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Cities are nice to go to for a short break but to live permanently in a City is frankly crap.
    I see that the option "non of the above" is leading , I think this is probably because contributors to this forum love the small town country life of Caithness.

Ditto.....born/raised ,had super time as a child ,growing upn in Dundee,but there is absolutely NO way that I would ever live in any city whatsoever.
    alan16 is just a young whippersnapper living in the candy store just now..............One day[hopefully] he will grow up and learn...and stop insulting Dundee.
    Wonder where he grew up???

I love where I live now but went for Stirling as my choice. I lived there for four years as a student and it's a lovely wee place, though I think I prefer it because it's really only a big town as opposed to a city.

I used to live 20 minutes drive from Glasgow- you couldn't pay me enough to live there (or in any of the bigger cities for that matter) but it's great to visit and the choice of shops is good.

Inverness is a nice place to visit too but when there are gorgeous areas of countryside just a few miles out from the city I'd choose to live out there instead.

Aberdeen and Dundee are some of the most depressing places I've been- not a big fan of them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Are you encouraging underage drinking Canuck,
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Just what makes London crap? I can't see that myself. It really depends where you lived in London. It is so huge and diverse; it is more down to where you choose to live within it than the city itself.
    I liked visiting London for the touristy things and seeing the sights etc but to live there would be my idea of an absolute nightmare.

I've never been in a place with so many people and felt so lonely. People stand very close to you on the tube and wouldn't even think to smile or pass the time of day with you. The people barge down the street , would never think to be polite and say sorry for bumping into you. Bus drivers don't even smile at you when you get on the bus.

As a city it's incredibly diverse, have never seen so many different people in one place but they should embrace their diversity by talking to other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Well I am still constantly amazed at the number of people that can't read.

Please go back and re-read Crayola's original post.
    I can read perfectly well thank you Serenity however just because some government committee decides to declassify and redefine a city's status it doesn't change the fact that Perth has been regarded as a city for hundreds of years. In fact Alex Salmond has now acknowledged that declassifying it was a mistake and city status should be restored at the next opportunity.

(From Wikipedia, Crayola's original point of reference)
    City status
    The classic definition of Perth has been as a city, and traditional documentation confirms that this has been true since time immemorial. However, in the late 1990s, the UK government and the Scottish Executive re-examined the definition[17] of a city and produced a list of approved cities, from which Perth was omitted. It is now considered to be a "former city", a similar definition to that of Brechin or Elgin. Current road-signs around the borders now call it "The Perfect Centre" instead of "The Fair City", although directional signs within still indicate "City Centre". In June, 2007, Alex Salmond, the newly-elected first Minister of Scotland backed a campaign to confer city status on Perth, saying it should be granted "at the next commemorative opportunity".[18] The architectural writer John Gifford has said that Perth is a city "to its inhabitants and most outsiders, but not all bureaucrats.

I was trying to make the point that if I had to choses a "city" to live in it would be Perth having lived there previously I think it should have been included.

I love Edinburgh but only as a place to visit - if I lived there I think the novelty would wear off...

Is Perth not a city? I thought it was... I like Perth (and most of my family live there )

I wouldn't live in a city if you paid me!
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast