Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Which Scottish city would you choose to live in?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aberdeen

9 8.49%
  • Dundee

2 1.89%
  • Edinburgh

14 13.21%
  • Glasgow

8 7.55%
  • Inverness

23 21.70%
  • Stirling

2 1.89%
  • None of the above

48 45.28%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Where would you live?

Im living in Glasgow, and love it, so thats my pick!
    "And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…What a sick, masochistic lion."

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Did you watch it? I enjoyed it in parts but what a miserable so and so Brian Cox is.
    I too watched this programme, as I started my working life at 15 as a Creeler (apprentice weaver) in a large Jute carpet mill, Thomson and Shepherd.
    Sorry Crayola I do not agree with your opinion of Brian Cox, because of his own roots, the programme producers could not have found a better narrator.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Did we watch the same programme golach? By the end I thought he was going to drown himself in the Hoogly.

Did you watch it? I enjoyed it in parts but what a miserable so and so Brian Cox is.
    I certainly did and that is just his way..............I saw nothing wrong with his narration.It was very interesting ...as my grannny worked in a mill as a weaver.Very hard going ,but no complaints from her............8 children to raise as a widow.
    her pinkies were bent with pulling the jute through the machine.
    No benefits then for single parents............

No benefits indeed....

I knew almost nothing about the Jute industry in Dundee nor did I know that so many went to India from Dundee so I enjoyed the programme, and in particular the many lengthy anecdotes from those very people. But I thought Brian Cox's misery was unnecessary.

No benefits indeed....

I knew almost nothing about the Jute industry in Dundee nor did I know that so many went to India from Dundee so I enjoyed the programme, and in particular the many lengthy anecdotes from those very people. But I thought Brian Cox's misery was unnecessary.
    A lot of folk in scotland know very little about Dundee.........but it was and still is [to me] my home city and my family are steeped in tradition and history of Dundee.
    I knew of jute wallahs ,I actually had a wee friend whose parents went out to Calcutta.
    I found it all fascinating,especially the scottish cemetery and the church.
    It is very sad though that the workforce is living in the poverty that the mill workers lived in all those years ago.
    I hope things get better for them.........

Lightbulb

No benefits indeed....

I thought my old pal's misery was absolutely genuine, and reflected the realisation of what his parent's, and my mother's working conditions were!
    We used to pass some mills on the way to school and if any of the loading bays were open, the noise was deafening, and the heat and stoor would almost choke you. That's about as close as we ever got to see what went on inside.
    The song he sang a verse of was "The Jute Mill Song", and was written by Mary Brooksbank who was a friend of, and worked alongside, my Mum in the mill.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by BINBOB View Post
    A lot of folk in scotland know very little about Dundee.........but it was and still is [to me] my home city and my family are steeped in tradition and history of Dundee.
    I knew of jute wallahs ,I actually had a wee friend whose parents went out to Calcutta.
    I found it all fascinating,especially the scottish cemetery and the church.
    It is very sad though that the workforce is living in the poverty that the mill workers lived in all those years ago.
    I hope things get better for them.........
    The Scottish church was indeed fascinating. I've seen one with a similar history somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember where it was.

Dundee is almost unknown here in the west, those of my ken who do know it tend to be dismissive Old Firm supporters that attend away games!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    I thought my old pal's misery was absolutely genuine, and reflected the realisation of what his parent's, and my mother's working conditions were!
    We used to pass some mills on the way to school and if any of the loading bays were open, the noise was deafening, and the heat and stoor would almost choke you. That's about as close as we ever got to see what went on inside.
    The song he sang a verse of was "The Jute Mill Song", and was written by Mary Brooksbank who was a friend of, and worked alongside, my Mum in the mill.
    Ok, point taken regarding Brian Cox's misery but it did make for a miserable programme albeit probably deservedly so. I watched it with a native Glaswegian and my somewhat negative reaction to BC's misery was mild compared with hers.

Lightbulb

Ok, point taken regarding Brian Cox's misery but it did make for a miserable programme albeit probably deservedly so. I watched it with a native Glaswegian and my somewhat negative reaction to BC's misery was mild compared with hers.
    Let's face it, if it was going to be true to it's subject , it was never going to be a "feel good " programme.
    I thought it was a great documentary and told it like it was! Warts and all.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

I know it shouldn't have been a 'feel good' programme but Cox was so taciturn towards the end that time dragged and I was actually glad when it ended.

I know it shouldn't have been a 'feel good' programme but Cox was so taciturn towards the end that time dragged and I was actually glad when it ended.
    I think your out voted on the choice of narrator for this programme Crayola, more of us liked the choice of Brian Cox, but each to their own.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234