Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Amateur Radio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Amateur Radio

If anybody is interested in Amateur radio or Ham radio Caithness Amateur radio Society meet on teh first wed of every month at the Nethercliffe Hotel in Wick at 730 pm . If you want to gain an Amateur radio licence we can arrange for you to have a couse of lessons and the exam and it is a lot easier than you think.
    It is not just radio but also encompases electronics, computing etc . as well as Tv - Basically a lot more than people realise .
    Anybody who is interested is more than welcome to come along for a chat .
    Or email me
    gm1ban@fsmail.net for more info

Default Scanner ?

Hi, I'm not quite at the amature radio stage, but used to enjoy listening to my Dad's scanners and radios.
    Could you tell me what sort of scanner (make/model etc) I would need to listen to coast-guard, planes and other various broadcasts please, as I miss this.

Caithness AMateur Radio Society now also meet at Castletown Heritage Centre where they have a permanent Amateur Radio station . they usually meet there on the 3rd wed of the month at 7-730pm. anybody interested is most welcome to come and see.or email for more details

Quote Originally Posted by vectus View Post
    Hi, I'm not quite at the amature radio stage, but used to enjoy listening to my Dad's scanners and radios.
    Could you tell me what sort of scanner (make/model etc) I would need to listen to coast-guard, planes and other various broadcasts please, as I miss this.
    Depends on how many ££'s you want to spend.
    Most Realistic scanner's you can get off ebay will cover a broad range and you could get one for £50 - £80.
    If you want new top end tackle then your into £££'s and more.

It also depends on the quality of the unit you want too, audio and reception wise.
    Another consideration is if you want it mobile.

Feel free to PM if you want any more info.

Default scanner

Hi,
    I bought a transciever off ebay some time ago, its a Jingtong VHF. FM model J-T208 but can't pick up anything to listen too.
    Is this the completely wrong sort?

Quote Originally Posted by vectus View Post
    Hi,
    I bought a transciever off ebay some time ago, its a Jingtong VHF. FM model J-T208 but can't pick up anything to listen too.
    It's 2m Ham radio, 136 - 174Mhz. Not really a scanner at all.

Is this the completely wrong sort?
    Pretty much I'm afraid.

Something like this may do for starters: fleabay linky

Phill.
    This is a little large, I was thinking of something more portable, but thanks for the info.

DRM.
    Thanks for your reply, yes I know its illegal to transmit without a licence. (hopefully the police have better things to do )

I only want to listen to coastgaurd, planes etc.,

Hello! I am very interested in Amateur Radio. Here in Switzerland i am listen to the shortwaves, but i do not have a good antenna. I use an old Sony receiver and severals russian receivers (R-311, R-324/326 and other). I will move to Caithness in c 2 month and would be happy to meet you.
    Regards
    meinrad