Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is the next general election?

Default When is the next general election?

I've been reading about David Cameron's party conference speech, but can't find out when the next general election actually is set to be held. Has a date even been set?

Err No and it would not be in David Cameron's party conference speech unless it had been announced by Gordon Brown First.

It is up to the PM to say and to call the General Election and the first we would know about it would be when he goes to the Palace to ask the Queen to disolve Parliment.

Then shortly after that he would anounce the Election Date. So you will have to wait like all the rest of us.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Cheers Kodiak - but it sounded from a couple of articles I read that it seemed to be imminent. Is there a time limit it has to happen by? They all seem to be gearing up for it anyway.

Five years is the maximum period for a Parliament. This is specified within provisions contained under the Septennial Act 1715 and the amended by Section 7 of the Parliment Act 1911.

The Very Last Date the General Election can Take Place is Thursday 3rd June 2010. So Gorden Brown Must call the General Election on or before this Date. A General Election is always held on a Thursday.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Could do with it being a set date, then then the PM can't wait until he's in our good books before he calls it

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    Could do with it being a set date, then then the PM can't wait until he's in our good books before he calls it
    I agree with you. In my opinion a general election should be held at the same Time once every 4 years.

Edgar Allen Poe

Got it from a reliable source (ex speaker of House of Commons when we were on hols, we saw him on Loch Ness) it be in May next year (and he told me I will get a mention in Chapter 12 of his memoirs, fame at last!!)

As the last General Election was in 2005 the next has to be 2010
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Errr... the sooner the better?

Seriously though, it has to be in June 2010 or before. Up to Gordon Brown's lot to make a decision. That'll be a first, then......
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Quote Originally Posted by madmissus View Post
    Got it from a reliable source (ex speaker of House of Commons when we were on hols, we saw him on Loch Ness) it be in May next year (and he told me I will get a mention in Chapter 12 of his memoirs, fame at last!!)
    Most people say it will be in May 2010 for one reason only. The Council Elections in England are on the 6th May 2010 and it is believed that if the Labour Party loose a Lot of seats at the Council Elections they would then get clobbered at the General Election if it was held after this.

So to stall this event it is believed that Gordon will call the General Election for the same day as the Local Elections.

But on saying that anything can really happen.

Edgar Allen Poe

GNG is correct - June 2010 or before, with the decision by the current government.
    Don't just say it - do it!!!

Default Good Books

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    How would Gordon Brown go about trying to get himself in the good books of the voter between now and June 2010?, it's a very tall order.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

The next General Election will be on 6th May 2010. The Conservative Party will win by a large margin. This is as certain as Christmas!!

Default Odds

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    The next General Election will be on 6th May 2010. The Conservative Party will win by a large margin. This is as certain as Christmas!!

What odds are being offered on that one scorrie?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    How would Gordon Brown go about trying to get himself in the good books of the voter between now and June 2010?, it's a very tall order.
    I think by giving Cameron a nudge and a wink to keep up his rhetoric as in the CON (pun intended)conference. Surely the public are not that daft to believe/conned by them again.
    Watched question time last night and the boy who wants to be chancellor was squirming away repeating his lines over and over, precisely I might add, plenty of practice I suppose, trying hard not to sound a toff.

What odds are being offered on that one scorrie?
    William Hill are going 1/7 on an Election in May 2010 and 1/14 on The Conservatives winning the most seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I agree with you. In my opinion a general election should be held at the same Time once every 4 years.
    Then that would stop the likes of Cameron keep pushing for an election to be called at every opportunity, simply to disguise the fact that he hadn't got any policies or solutions of his own to the various crises that have hit over the last year or so. He'd actually have to find something useful and intelligent to ask in PM's questions - now wouldn't that make a change.
    If at first you don't succeed...................

....erase all evidence that you even tried

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    I think by giving Cameron a nudge and a wink to keep up his rhetoric as in the CON (pun intended)conference. Surely the public are not that daft to believe/conned by them again.
    Watched question time last night and the boy who wants to be chancellor was squirming away repeating his lines over and over, precisely I might add, plenty of practice I suppose, trying hard not to sound a toff.
    If the Tories want my vote, the very least they'd have to do is to get rid of that Osborne idiot - he's a total liability, but I'm afraid they'd also have to elect a new leader. Mr Slimey simply doesn't instill me with confidence and trust.

Unfortunately I think you're living in a dreamworld if you believe the British public won't be conned by the Con-servatives again. The British public as a whole seem only too prone to knee-jerk reactions and seem only to consider that they if don't want Labour in again, they'll vote Tory instead. I'm afraid we're heading for another long, long, bleak period of Tory "let's stuff the weak and defenceless and screw the less well off to make the books balance" government.
    If at first you don't succeed...................

....erase all evidence that you even tried

Default Betting

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    William Hill are going 1/7 on an Election in May 2010 and 1/14 on The Conservatives winning the most seats.
    I am not a betting man, but if I were, would that mean if I put £20 on each bet, and won, I would receive my £40 back and £4-27 in winnings?

If that's the case I would rather stick £40 into Northern Rock.

I am not a betting man, but if I were, would that mean if I put £20 on each bet, and won, I would receive my £40 back and £4-27 in winnings?

If that's the case I would rather stick £40 into Northern Rock.
    It would be much better to invest your money in Blackpool Rock,

Edgar Allen Poe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast