Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: house name??

you're learnin fast that the council is a joke but that you need to play along with them to get what you want!!
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Default House name

Quote Originally Posted by Sianymo
    Whats the Gaelic or Viking(seeing as Caithness is more Viking than Gaelic) for House under the Big Sky or House next to the Bubbling Burn?
    Hi here are a couple of name suggestions in gaelic, sorry i don't do viking!

Taigh is house - "Taigh a t-adhair mor" is "house of the sky big" or
    Taigh an Abhainn Bheo (literally, house of the living river!)

because of the gaelic translation, this is about the closest you can get for what you would like.

Hope this helps!
    Regards,
    Sheena

Reference naming your place, porshiepoo , just have a word with the postie. He needs to know a name and where you are, you need the correct location and post code. Mail will then find you.
    I once I was settled in I once had mail delivered which consisted of my name, the name of the area I live in and the precise address of "the house on the right up the lane opposite so and so". Well done the postie, even I would have had difficulty finding me.

As to what to call it, how about "Longshanks Revenge", that would certainly get some attention.
    But don't tell anybody who suggested it, I hate hospital food!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

You need to contact the Assessors office so that your details can be updated for council tax.

As for uninhabited properties, it was 50% council tax discount but as of 1st April 2005 it is now only 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    Reference naming your place, porshiepoo , just have a word with the postie. He needs to know a name and where you are, you need the correct location and post code. Mail will then find you.
    I once I was settled in I once had mail delivered which consisted of my name, the name of the area I live in and the precise address of "the house on the right up the lane opposite so and so". Well done the postie, even I would have had difficulty finding me.

As to what to call it, how about "Longshanks Revenge", that would certainly get some attention.
    But don't tell anybody who suggested it, I hate hospital food!
    Thats a corker that is! lol.
    Wonder how you say that in Gaelic. lol.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by crashbandicoot1979
    You need to contact the Assessors office so that your details can be updated for council tax.

As for uninhabited properties, it was 50% council tax discount but as of 1st April 2005 it is now only 10%.
    Thanks for that. I was just about to write a very sarcastic letter accusing the council of all kinds of prejudice - you've saved me! lol.

Still a joke though eh! What kind of council charges council tax and water rates for a property that isn't habitable? It just doesn't make sense. And then they have the cheek to make you pay for the blinkin bin!!!!!!!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Passed a house today called "Farabide"!
    Made me smile! lol
    CaItHnEsS GiRl... x

Quote Originally Posted by caithnessgirl
    Passed a house today called "Farabide"!
    Made me smile! lol
    I wonder if Nero called his house Dunromein.

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    I wonder if Nero called his house Dunromein.
    Stop it fred. That's a cracker. How can I have a go when you come up with one like that.

If you carry on like that I will end up having to start agreeing with you and that would confuse everybody.

Here's a list for you porshie http://www.wecantthinkofaname.com/Housenames.htm

Royal Mail will tell you to register a new name with the Council but if you try they don't want to know and will tell you to register with OS. I did what my neighbours had done - went into the sorting office and filled in a little form. This gets it put on the Royal Mail database but beware, as I mentioned in an earlier thread the TV licensing people update their database from the Royal Mail one and will chase you for a licence. I am actually going to tell OS because an old name for my house keeps appearing on plans so they obviously don't check with Royal Mail.

It's all good fun and keeps lots of people happily occupied.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    Royal Mail will tell you to register a new name with the Council but if you try they don't want to know and will tell you to register with OS. I did what my neighbours had done - went into the sorting office and filled in a little form. This gets it put on the Royal Mail database but beware, as I mentioned in an earlier thread the TV licensing people update their database from the Royal Mail one and will chase you for a licence. I am actually going to tell OS because an old name for my house keeps appearing on plans so they obviously don't check with Royal Mail.

It's all good fun and keeps lots of people happily occupied.
    Too true they use one another's databases. (That's one conspiracy theory I do know is true!)

Never mind that though, back to the serious stuff.
    Some years ago, due to a dreadful act of criminal folly on my behalf, I got the threatening letter about my not having a licence for the TV I had.
    (For some reason, for your information, it is considered a serious criminal offence for which you get a Criminal Record)
    As you all know, I am a pleasant, easy going person who would never cause problems.
    That being the case, I threw the threat in the bin.
    The same thing happened to the following threats including the one threatening me with the dire consequences if they sent out their Storm Troopers.
    Eventually the dreaded knock came to the door. (They were decent enough to call in the early evening and not drag me off in the middle of the night!)
    "You haven't got a Licence for your TV, sir!" Not wishing to be any more awkward than usual, I looked him straight in the eye and said,
    "Have!"
    "Haven't!"
    "Have!"
    "Haven't!"
    "Have!"
    He realised my childishness was far more ingrained than his and capitulated.
    "Show me!"
    "Fine! There!"
    I took great delight in producing my pristine current TV Licence, totally upto date and following straight on from my previous one.
    Exit rather confused man from TV Licensing muttering about their records and inefficiency and incompetence etc. etc.

Reason for problem? Simple really, I had erred by inadvertently not being a sheep. The system could not cope with an, accidental admittedly, lone wolf.
    One day at work I realised it was past the end of the month and I hadn't renewed my Licence.
    Conscientious little Baa Lamb that I am, I took the first opportunity to go to the Post Office and purchase a TV Licence.
    This terrible piece of rebellion was brought about because I hadn't got the reminder the Licence People had previously sent me so the part normally kept by the Post Office wasn't there to be returned.
    Their computer was unable to deal with this accidental act of insurrection and proceeded in an attempt to extract revenge.

It was the most enjoyable TV Licence I have ever bought, it drove them crazy!

Porshiepoo, how about calling your house, "No longer lives here!"
    That should cause a few headaches!
    And don't mention any nearby "water-courses" or closeness to the sea, the Insurance companies specifically ask about them for Home Insurance so whatever you do, don't call it "The Ark"!

Why not combine your names and come up with a really cheesy name for your house - there are quite a few of them around Caithness if my memory serves me.

What were these people thinking??

Of the "non-personal name" ones, I nominate the following as some of the all-time worst:

1) Shangri-La
    2) Chez Nous (or anything with "Chez" as the prefix)
    3) Anything referring to that Spanish hamlet that the owners visited in the 70's
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo
    Thanks for that. I was just about to write a very sarcastic letter accusing the council of all kinds of prejudice - you've saved me! lol.

Still a joke though eh! What kind of council charges council tax and water rates for a property that isn't habitable? It just doesn't make sense. And then they have the cheek to make you pay for the blinkin bin!!!!!!!!
    What I canna figure out is how they justify awarding a 10% discount if the property is unoccupied, yet a 25% discount if one person lives in it

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by crashbandicoot1979
    What I canna figure out is how they justify awarding a 10% discount if the property is unoccupied, yet a 25% discount if one person lives in it
    Crikey! How does that work??

Almost worthwhile getting a squatter!
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

I suppose they don't want to encourage people to leave houses unoccupied.

Choosing house names - bit like choosing baby names - do be careful and consider whether you're going to have to spell it every time. Can get very tedious, especially if like me you have to spell your surname as well. In fact that's the only good thing about these databases, with any luck you only need to give a bit of your address and the postcode.

My last house, before I renamed it, was called Lenore. It was a combination of the devoted owners' names but I didn't fancy living in a fabric conditioner.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Someone on this thread suggested calling your house after your favorite place in the world. That's no use. "Cuddled up under the duvet with Sandra" is a silly name for a house.

Thanks for all the hints, tips and ideas.
    Still aren't any closer to a name though. Part of us really wants to be naughty and choose a name that people are gonna hate lol, but the sensible part of us knows we've got to live here and that perhaps some people may not share the same sense of humour as us. I love the Longshanks one! lol. Don't worry though ain't brave enough, maybe adapt it to 'Longshanks live ere' lol.

Jaws, I did laugh at your little spat with the Tv licence company. I had a similar one about 15 years ago, only I wasn't exactly innocent - Eek!
    They turned up on my doorstep - unannounced, how rude is that. lol - and insisted I should have a licence if I had a telly. So guess what I did? Told them I didn't have a telly!!!!!! Yep, I really did. They asked me if I was sure, so I told them of course I was sure, how thick did they think I was? To that they retorted "Thick enough to claim you don't have a T.V when there's one playing in the background!"
    God, I cringed. I look back now and lmao but at the time I coulda died. I got a massive fine and I must say it did the trick cos I'm paranoid now about having a licence. lol.
    I never was one for lying so I don't know why I tried it that day - one day I'll tell you all about the library incident. lol.

[QUOTE=porshiepoo]

Thats what we thought! But nope we're paying full rates on the derelict and get a discount for a 2nd home on the temporary accomodation. We're still going through all this with them and trying to sort it all out.
    It's a joke really, they even tried to charge us for a mobile home that we have too until we showed them thats it's used for dogs only.

Strange. We only paid 50% on a property which was not derelict,but because we were doing it up. And that's recently.
    If it's totally unlivable then you shouldn't have to pay rates at all.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

When we eventuall y get our own wee but in ben were going to call it Muckinfuddle...think about it
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast