Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: house name??

Question house name??

Does anyone know who you contact to give your new house a name?

Thanks for any help.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

When we built our house all we did was put name on house and postie started delivering didnt have to notify anyone!

If in doubt - the nearest sorting office.

Nah, you do not need to tell anyone save the people posting to you.

What is it then? 'Thistle Do' ?
    Hang your sign with pride and be bold!

'Landmarker Towers' looks out of place on this estate but hey! what do I care.

(jokin' okay)

We didn't actually want to name it cos it's only temporary accomodation but the councils making us pay council tax on it while we renovate a derelict (we also pay council tax on the derelict which is uninhabitable) so we figured we'd name it and get the bills paid into the new name.

I figured 'Little England' but hubby thought we'd get lynched

'Sleepy Hollow' as it's set in a hollow (sort of) and I have narcolepsy

Any ideas (decent ones & clean ones) appreciated.
    We have very close views to the sea and shelligoe burn running through if thats any help with ideas.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

[quote=porshiepoo] we also pay council tax on the derelict which is uninhabitable

are you sure??? surely it should be habitable? before you pay council tax

krieve Guest

What about burnigoe lol or shellburn

anything that ends in igoe sounds caithnesian, so thats a good start in my opinion

Going back to the council tax. You only pay it if your house is classed as a dwelling and in Scotland that means a house with running water. If your derelict place has no running water, then its not classed as a dwelling. I would certainly question it at the local council.

I know they were talking about changing the rules but at most you should only pay 50% on the unihabited.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo
    We didn't actually want to name it cos it's only temporary accomodation but the councils making us pay council tax on it while we renovate a derelict (we also pay council tax on the derelict which is uninhabitable) so we figured we'd name it and get the bills paid into the new name.

I figured 'Little England' but hubby thought we'd get lynched

'Sleepy Hollow' as it's set in a hollow (sort of) and I have narcolepsy

Any ideas (decent ones & clean ones) appreciated.
    We have very close views to the sea and shelligoe burn running through if thats any help with ideas.
    Well, there's 'Sea View' and 'Burnside', although neither name is very imaginative, I know. And yep, I'd forget about the 'Little England' one, lol!
    I do rather like 'Sleepy Hollow', though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan
    I know they were talking about changing the rules but at most you should only pay 50% on the unihabited.
    You are correct Tristan 50% on uninhabited properties. My sister paid 50% council tax on a derelict and didn't pay full until all building documents, etc had been signed when they moved in (only a year ago).

why not think of your favourite place in the whole world and name it after that? I did

So what's your's called footie chick

after a place in new zealand thanks for the interest. bet you thought it was after a football ground!

Look at the view to help you think of a name

Default house name

Whats the Gaelic or Viking(seeing as Caithness is more Viking than Gaelic) for House under the Big Sky or House next to the Bubbling Burn?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by footie chick
    Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo
    we also pay council tax on the derelict which is uninhabitable

are you sure??? surely it should be habitable? before you pay council tax
    Thats what we thought! But nope we're paying full rates on the derelict and get a discount for a 2nd home on the temporary accomodation. We're still going through all this with them and trying to sort it all out.
    It's a joke really, they even tried to charge us for a mobile home that we have too until we showed them thats it's used for dogs only.

Apparantly you have to pay council tax until the property has been demolished as it's been banded. They've only just banded the temporary accomodation, not sure of the law up here but in England if we name the temporary accomodation and get rates etc paid to it then after a few years you have a right to replace it with permanent accomodation.
    Blinkin pallaver just for something to stay in while we renovate a derelict. It would have been cheaper (tax wise) to have demolished the derelict completely and re-build new but we thought we were doing the area a favour by renovating the existing old building.

Unreal cos u cant claim vat back on renovation either!!! You think they would pay you to do up old properties to live in rather than build new ones all over the place!

Thats what we thought footie chick. My hubby really wanted to knock it down and start again but I really wanted to keep as much of it as possible cos it's at least 150 - 200 years old and figured it is a part of the history in Lybster as it's on Patrick Sinclairs land and is actually very near his grave.
    Looking back now though it would have paid us to demolish it as we wouldn't have to pay rates on it.
    The council really don't like helping out up here do they! We found out today that although they've decided to band our temporary accomodation so we have to pay rates, we can't have a wheelie bin unless we pay for it. What a joke!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast