Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Mobile broadband in Caithness

Default Mobile broadband in Caithness

Is it off the ground yet? Would I get a decent / any signal in Halkirk worth buying a decent phone for?
    Your vision will become clear
    Only when you look into your heart ....
    Who looks outside, dreams..
    Who looks inside, awakens.

Halkirk has a vodafone mast, but it's not upgraded. GPRS only.
    All other signals come from Dorrery, all the masts there are GPRS. Only mobile broadband speed your get is in and around Wick on O2. I have picked a decent signal up on my phone when out shopping there.

If it's any help I have no problems with Vodafone GPRS up in Caithness. And often use the mobile BB dongle too as BT BB often drops out, and it's fine on GPRS. Using it now too on GPRS in Stirling.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddd View Post
    Is it off the ground yet? Would I get a decent / any signal in Halkirk worth buying a decent phone for?
    I think if you buy a phone with internet on it you will get to use it but it will be very slow you wouldnt get the benifit of 3g speed.
    And if your just browsing or sending an email it should do it but if you try sending a picture by email it would probably freeze your fone because its 2 big a file to send.
    To be honest about it i have internet on my phone i only ever use it for emails thats handy other than that the screen on the phone is 2 small to go surfing the net?

OK thanks - I guess I'll give it a miss for the time being.
    Your vision will become clear
    Only when you look into your heart ....
    Who looks outside, dreams..
    Who looks inside, awakens.