Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Areas of Thurso to live

Quote Originally Posted by tartanyorkie View Post
    Thank you. I think I have decided to apply with Pentland as it sounds ok and Pennyland is handy for town and Lidls. Just got to fill this long form in now and convince them I need three bedrooms for when OH's kids come to stay. As there is no legal, just an informal arrangement I do not know how we can prove it.
    It is a long form! I just filled one in myself! There is a blank space at the back for you to write in, put in there that your OH will be moving in with you and kids aswell.

I believe that Pentland also take you in for an interview about the form and just to go over it so explain and stress again that a 3 bedroom house is necessary. Depends on the gender and age of the children too by the way.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Well, we need three, or four bedrooms as my son is 16 and he has three girls. It says you need proof but if they come here they can see how small the house is and the photos of the girls. Two have to stay at their grans when they are here in the school holidays so it is not good at all.

I hate filling in forms especially by hand, but the long bit about reasons for moving I am going to type out and stick in- it is a long rant, lol. All the better if they interview you.

Lol, just read that. My son is 16 and OH has three girls, not my son has three girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Best area of Thurso ??? -----Wick
    The rivalry seems to continue between Thurso and Wick. LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
    The rivalry seems to continue between Thurso and Wick. LOL!!!
    There is no contest oldmarine, Thurso wins hands down
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I always stay in one of the wooden "atomics" whenever I visit Thurso. Its quiet and handy for Pennyland primary(where my niece is a teacher) and Frazers, the local shop and Lidls. It was better when The Helmsman was open though, now its a 5 minute walk into town if I fancy a pint, instead of a two minute walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    I always stay in one of the wooden "atomics" whenever I visit Thurso. Its quiet and handy for Pennyland primary(where my niece is a teacher) and Frazers, the local shop and Lidls. It was better when The Helmsman was open though, now its a 5 minute walk into town if I fancy a pint, instead of a two minute walk.
    Just round the corner from me. It is a nice area, school is good too. Thats where my OH's 2 kids go too. Cant complain about the area at all.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Just round the corner from me. It is a nice area, school is good too. Thats where my OH's 2 kids go too. Cant complain about the area at all.
    Forgot to mention, you can see Orkney from the bedroom window. Weather permitting, of course.

I have just handed my form in and we had a ride round all the areas. I must say none of them looked bad but then again kids are in school. Although you can usually get an idea of a place by the stuff hanging about in the gardens etc. and everywhere looks clean and tidy. I just have to wait and see what we get offered now.

I moved up from South West Scotland last year, and my family managed to get a house in the pennyland area of the town. I have to say i find Thurso an incredible place to live. Relaxing way of life, with see views. Id even go so far to say that this is one of the best places to live in the UK. Our area is great. Not far from the school, nice friendly neighbours and its fairly quiet.

Loving your positivity! I totally agree. Too many people winge about Thurso, mostly people who have hankered to live elsewhere but never have. I've lived all over and I love living in Caithness. No traffic, safe, none of this gang intimidation nonsense.

And, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing!

So nice to see positive comments about the place. My OH does not realise how bad some places can be. Coming from Seacroft in Leeds prepares you for most places, lol. People who live here do not know how lucky they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    Forgot to mention, you can see Orkney from the bedroom window. Weather permitting, of course.
    Yep same here!! Well barely, but can see it!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

So nice to see positive comments about the place. My OH does not realise how bad some places can be. Coming from Seacroft in Leeds prepares you for most places, lol. People who live here do not know how lucky they are.
    I don't think coming from Seacroft prepares you for Thurso because the two places are as far apart in culture as they are in geography. I had the misfortune to spend some time in Seacroft once upon a time and it really is the pits. Thurso has almost none of Seacroft's problems and you really don't need to worry about bad neighbours in the way you would down there. I wish you were happy in Reay which can be a fine place but you obviously aren't so a move to Thurso might be good.

Getting back on topic, when I was a lass Mount Vernon was regarded by my friends and I as the posh atomic estate, Ormlie/Pennyland/Castlegreen had its posh bits but it had atomics of all origins and some Vulcans. Springpark was for locals and non-atomic incomers. How much has this picture changed in the last 20 years?

Are Pennyland and Mount Vernon still populated mainly by atomics and Springpark by non-atomics or has population mixing wiped out the distinction?
    Last edited by crayola; 04-Oct-09 at 13:02.

I believe all the public housing landlords now operate a common register - you just make one application for a house and when you reach the top of the list, you'll be offered one by whichever landlord is functioning in the area you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_B View Post
    Is there a bad area of Thurso?
    Absolutely not as far as I can see (and I don't live there - but almost).

We moved up here just over two years ago and I have to say that I love Thurso: I think it's the friendliest town I have ever come across. I have worked with a lot of young people and they are some of the best "young uns" I've had the pleasure of ever working with.

I also now work with people of all ages and the same goes. My wife and I have had some fairly serious health issues since we moved here and the people have been fantastic.

You will be welcome whichever area you move to. Good luck.

Default areas to live

i've lived in a couple of areas in thurso, mount vernon, ' the glebe' and springpark

have to say all three have been decent and have had no problem with neighbours

but if i had to pick one then springpark, but thats just because i got a house for sale there !!( little plug for the items for sale thread)

can't say that now since i've moved to edinburgh. but just keep yourself to yourself and you get no problem.

This thread is making me smile quite a bit since I'm thinking of buying a house in the area in the near future and haven't been here long so don't know the town too well yet- it's good to know that I don't need to worry too much about buying in a bad area...

I wonder if I could have opinions as to where the best places in and around Thurso are to live. I am very isolated out here and do not see a soul from week to week so need to move where I can meet people. I have a housing application form but am afraid of getting a house somewhere which is horrible and, not being from here originally do not know which housing association has which houses. I would be very grateful for advice. If you do not want to state things publicly on here and possibly start a slanging match please pm me. Thank you.

Nowhere! move to Wick
    A gentle stream can split a mountain, given enough time.

I am intrigued by the possibility that sleepy little Reay may be home to a community of vampires. I will now have to drive through with added caution and trepadation particularly when passing the cemetery outwith daylight hours. And I thought that Sandside Beach was a danger zone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast