Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Areas of Thurso to live

Default Areas of Thurso to live

I wonder if I could have opinions as to where the best places in and around Thurso are to live. I am very isolated out here and do not see a soul from week to week so need to move where I can meet people. I have a housing application form but am afraid of getting a house somewhere which is horrible and, not being from here originally do not know which housing association has which houses. I would be very grateful for advice. If you do not want to state things publicly on here and possibly start a slanging match please pm me. Thank you.

I live in the pennyland area. Its a good area, quiet aswell. Nice neighbours too.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Thank you. I am grateful for any information about the area. My OH has lived in Reay all his life so has no idea what living in a rough area is like. I was born in Leeds and brought up in what is now one of the roughest estates. Having bad neighbours is a nightmare but at least if most of the other people where you live are nice it helps a lot. I do not want much, just a quiet life at night and friendly people to talk to. I think they must be vampires here because there is no one about during the day, and I mean no one.

Hi there, I live in the Mount Vernon area and find it a lovely place to live. Its quiet, just a few nice kids running around, and lots of friendly neighbours. Its just a couple of minutes from the river where you can meet lots of nice folk out walking their dogs, a couple of minutes from the swimming pool and about 5 mins walk from the town centre x
    Last edited by ter21wat; 30-Sep-09 at 13:49. Reason: spelling

I don't think you can go wrong with Pennyland or Mount Vernon. If it was me Pennyland would be my choice.

Thank you for everybodys replies. Unfortunately the housing application form does not state areas, just the housing associations/whatever. I know which housing association not to apply for now, but which ones do whatever areas. If I just put Highland Council they could offer me a house anywhere. How do I narrow it down? If I had money there would be no problem!

Is there a bad area of Thurso?
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_B View Post
    Is there a bad area of Thurso?
    I do not think there is. Two main areas have already been mentioned, Pennyland and Mount Vernon but a third main housing area deserves mention. Springpark/Mount Pleasant is a very friendly area to live in with an excellent school on its doorstep. The area is known for its friendly neighbourly people and it is so close to the town just across the Ellan Bridge. I have stayed in two of the three areas mentioned here - not a lot to choose but I would say Springpark jusr shades it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    I do not think there is. Two main areas have already been mentioned, Pennyland and Mount Vernon but a third main housing area deserves mention. Springpark/Mount Pleasant is a very friendly area to live in with an excellent school on its doorstep. The area is known for its friendly neighbourly people and it is so close to the town just across the Ellan Bridge. I have stayed in two of the three areas mentioned here - not a lot to choose but I would say Springpark jusr shades it.
    I have to agree with you there - my boyfriend lives in springpark and I love it over there too. Friendly people and the little co-op shop is handy

2 words is all I need. Mount Vernon.

I grew up there and loved it, great place to stay. Friendly, quiet and not far from the street!
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

After living away from Thurso for the past few years, I would definately say that there are no bad parts of the town. Of course, one area may seem more desirable to someone, but the next person may prefer a different area.

I'm currently staying in the Mount Vernon area, and have to say that I am liking it.

Although I don't know many of the neighbours yet. Would love to know who knocks on the door as they walk past when they've let the cat into the building, though! lol
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

Hi there

I have lived in 3 different Pennyland houses and they are spacious houses with decent gardens. I love living here, and the school is great if you have kids. Easy to meet other mums at the gate or in the playpark. I have never had any problems with neighbours either which can be a major headache. Good luck!

Wherever you live your home is your castle and once you close the front door your life is whatever you want it to be.

I was brought up in Pennyland and when I was offered a council ground floor flat in "The Glebe" some folk thought I was mad. It is perfect for our needs, the neighbours are fine both in our block of four flats and the two houses next door. It is no rowdier at nights than anywhere else I have ever lived...so far, so good.

All of Thurso is fine, although I wouldn`t like to be in High Ormlie, but only because of mobility problems and the proximity of family and friends.

Good luck in your quest. I am sure when we applied for a house the one council form did for Pentland Housing and Cairn too.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Try to keep Albyn housing until your last resort
    At least no one will copy this signature

I would have to say Springpark or Mount Pleasant area is the better choice, unless you get a house near the toon centre. I've always fancied living near the Turnpike, lovely and quiet down there.

I would avoid High Ormlie or the Albyn Housing.

I stay in spring park area...its handy for everything...far enough out of the way but still close enough to get to where you need......just the way i like it lol
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Are Spring Park and Pennyland council? The form does not give a choice of areas, just Housing Associations and the council, so you could be offered a house anywhere as far as I can see. I wonder if I put where I would like in the further information bit they will take notice or not?

Best area of Thurso ??? -----Wick

Quote Originally Posted by tartanyorkie View Post
    Are Spring Park and Pennyland council? The form does not give a choice of areas, just Housing Associations and the council, so you could be offered a house anywhere as far as I can see. I wonder if I put where I would like in the further information bit they will take notice or not?
    Pennyland area is Pentland Housing Assosiation. If your form is the same as the one i have infront of me then Page 3, "Which highland housing register would you like to be housed by" Its question 1, then put down Pentland housing assosiation.

For spring park its the Highland council. You can tick both boxes.

Hope that helps!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Thank you. I think I have decided to apply with Pentland as it sounds ok and Pennyland is handy for town and Lidls. Just got to fill this long form in now and convince them I need three bedrooms for when OH's kids come to stay. As there is no legal, just an informal arrangement I do not know how we can prove it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast