Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music Downloads

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Yes, by the complete product i meant, the ones and zeros encoded onto an official factory printed Cd, complete with artwork, and booklet with printed lyrics. We will have to agree to disagree on the vinyl matter as i was never a fan. And a good quality Cd player and Amp beats Vinyl hands down on sound quality. I'm a total music geek, it rules 99% of my life, but i just never saw the appeal of vinyl.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyrich View Post
    Maybe vinyl, because of the physical restrictions of the relationship of the needle and groove, placed an emphasis on creative production. Maybe that's why it sounds better to some ears-people had to work harder to make better-sounding records.

The incredible loudness and zero dynamic range of contemporary cd's (Metallica's Death Magnetic is a good example) just isnt possible on vinyl. Maybe a slightly softer, rounder sound is more pleasing to the ear. Good quality vinyl gear playing a good quality record shouldnt be by definition unable to produce high frequencies. Nor should it lack clarity.

I couldnt actually care less about vinyl and dont own a record deck but they do sound good. And gatefold sleeves are cool.
    Damn, I'm gonna have to agree with you both, to an extent.

I have a fair old collection of vinyl, and a fairly decent deck and amp to play them through. There is a definite warmth and that familiar and most welcome 'hum' of anticipation as the needle lands and you wait for the first track to begin. It's like the buzz of electricity and latent power that you get when you plug a guitar into an overdriven amp.

However, compared to the sound quality of the CD, vinyl lags way, way behind.

For example, there's a CD version of an old AC/DC song intro where you can actually hear the sound engineer stirring his cup of coffee in the control room. It's simply unintelligible on the vinyl version, and they were both pressed from the same master tapes.

Gatefold sleeves vs CD booklets though? Absolutely no contest.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    yes, by the complete product i meant, the ones and zeros encoded onto an official factory printed cd, complete with artwork, and booklet with printed lyrics. We will have to agree to disagree on the vinyl matter as i was never a fan. And a good quality cd player and amp beats vinyl hands down on sound quality. I'm a total music geek, it rules 99% of my life, but i just never saw the appeal of vinyl.
    philistine!
    Vinyl rules!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12