Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All Star Factory/Viking Bowl/Liquid no more!

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    With a bit of luck the administrators will be able to sell it quickly and everyone will be re-employed. I wonder if one of the chains would take it on? It would be nice to have Orange Wednesday up here.
    They apparently started Orange Wednesday about 3 weeks ago so I was told.

I think it needs new a new owner for sure, someone who could breathe new life into the place.
    I used to work there and the place is bigger than what the public see, there is loads of room down the back!

Maybe something different is what is needed.
    Laserquest anyone? How about an indoor sports centre?
    Keeping the cinema of course!
    Pictures of you, litter my floorboards.

How about the College take it over and turn it into a music & drama tuition centre.

There's ample room for performance art (two auditoriums) so plays could be held in one and musical performances in the other.

Downstairs there's more than enough room to have a multiplex of smaller rehearsal rooms and practice areas for bands. Maybe even a recording studio.

A small cafe at the front entrance and the college crowd would be flocking there too.

Just some random thoughts, folks. Could it work, though?
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    Good riddance!
    Do not suppose the good, honest, hardworking, staff who have lost their jobs are saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    How about the College take it over and turn it into a music & drama tuition centre.

There's ample room for performance art (two auditoriums) so plays could be held in one and musical performances in the other.

Downstairs there's more than enough room to have a multiplex of smaller rehearsal rooms and practice areas for bands. Maybe even a recording studio.

A small cafe at the front entrance and the college crowd would be flocking there too.

Thats a really good idea and I hope someone looks into this further.

I'm sorry to see it go but not suprised as a similar venue looks like being closed over the winter and its in Saltcoats.
    People have not got the disposable income just now so venues like these
    are losing out on custome.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

When I worked there I quite often thought about a concert in one of the cinema rooms. It would be pretty cool.

Recording studio I think would fail though, it's so much cheaper and easier to record in your own home studio these days that everyone is doing it.
    I would like a decent studio up here but I don't think it would last.

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    When I worked there I quite often thought about a concert in one of the cinema rooms. It would be pretty cool.

Recording studio I think would fail though, it's so much cheaper and easier to record in your own home studio these days that everyone is doing it.

I'm out of touch when it comes to accessing funding but I'm sure there is money available for youth projects such as these.

We were trying to get something like what MLK was suggesting over here but finding a suitable venue was difficult but we had accessed the money.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    As part of a college campus though, the recording studio would mainly allow the tuition of sound engineering and such like, and the whole place could be a high level music college of sorts.

It would need considerable funds to purchase and renovate the building though, and the UHI would need to adapt its syllabus to accommodate drama, music and media studies perhaps, to justify the original outlay.

But, of course, it's in Thurso and not the media-focused central belt so it's an idea that's already dead in the water.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

As part of a college campus though, the recording studio would mainly allow the tuition of sound engineering and such like, and the whole place could be a high level music college of sorts.

It would need considerable funds to purchase and renovate the building though, and the UHI would need to adapt its syllabus to accommodate drama, music and media studies perhaps, to justify the original outlay.

But, of course, it's in Thurso and not the media-focused central belt so it's an idea that's already dead in the water.
    I really like this idea man. I would love to go and do sound engineering, I always wanted to do it years ago but never got round to it.
    As you say, it probably is dead in the water but it would be nice.

Default Viking Bowl

Why not just open it as it was with new bowling machines/lanes, recovered seats and with a better pricing structure?

That place could be a proper gold mine in the right hands.

Quote Originally Posted by MR_A View Post
    Why not just open it as it was with new bowling machines/lanes, recovered seats and with a better pricing structure?

That place could be a proper gold mine in the right hands.
    I agree with you,in the right hands with the proper management this place could be great!Films here on release dates,music in the bar,DECENT cooks and updated lanes would make all the difference! There are a few local business "tycoons" who could easily make this place work well-lets hope one of them does just that and we dont lose another amenity! x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Darn it! I used to love going to the cinema and being the only one in there. lol.
    Never bought their sweets though. There's supporting the place as a business and then there's being ripped off! I think the cinema entrance prices are bad enough but their sweet prices......................
    Think they got cocky and figured that as the only cinema/ bowling alley north of Inverness they could pretty much charge as they please.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

I was starting to frequent the cinema quite a lot and go to see films I wouldn't normally bother with. Was quite enjoying it, I'd have bowled more but for the poor state of disrepair. I also didn't download films. Ahh well....

£7 a cinema ticket though, didnt the fact that half price tuesdays were quite busy tell them something.

Quote Originally Posted by octane View Post
    Well the've went bust, I hope there homes are at risk because of the way they have ripped off the community for years!! What goes round, comes around.

The place was an embarassing disgrace to caithness and the've run the place so far into the ground that for someone to take over will be like flogging a dead horse.

For all potential interested parties.......stay well clear and keep your hard earned cash....the place needs flattened or a total gutting at the very least.

Well done to the selfish incompetent owners...........not!!!!!

Sometimes wonder if location has a lot to do with it being a success or not.
    they would have been better of not having a sports bar and more aimed at restaurant cafe style coffee bar aimed at familys with a reputation for good food.

I worked there almost 10 years ago, and over the period when the cinema opened. When I left I never went back, was never made to feel welcome.
    I think the management/owners were resistant to change. The chef at the time was full of ideas, mexican night, new menu etc.. but they were just not interested!
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

It is a great shame, I used to enjoy bowling until it took at least three searches of the building to find someone who could restart the machinery and a game took eons. I love going to the cinema but found it far too loud in there despite being half deaf anyway. Compared with a drive to Inverness it was not that expensive - will we have to wait for the Silver Screen Machine again?

As for the college idea they took the music dept. down to Alness some time ago. I doubt if they would want to commute from there. They had a drama studio which shut a couple of years ago and Barrogill Hall which was bought for the same purpose but stayed as it was and hasn't been converted to any use.

The place originally was supposed to have been funded for community uses as I understood it but that was a victim of the first bankrupcy. A cinema, bowling alley and bar would be just fine; being able to use the space for performance - ideal.

Commiserations to the staff who always made me and whoever I visited with welcome.

Default Liquid

I myself worked there in the days of the Viking Bowl when it was busy and you could see the potential in the place, there was a good bunch of staff and the crack was good. But I got the feeling from the management that you were not allowed to enjoy yourself at work so eventually we all left one after an other. What the management failed to realise was that the staff are the main asset in business.
    Another reason for the failure is a conflict of interest. DRINK & DRUGS Don't Mix ( so the doctor says anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    http://www.christie.com/search/brief/8/33752?1254206135

It was on at £650k when I was looking at it, but has now dropped to £495k.

Edit: They've also added a lease option, which wasn't there before.
    That sounds a good price until you read so many posts about the state it's in.

what's happening with the cinema development at the old Dominoes site in Wick ?

is that still going ahead ?

Quote Originally Posted by greenasiamcabbagelooking View Post

Hahahahahaha! With 'Big Beat Leisure' driving towards a site start of Autumn 2007, was it?
    They burned our gear - may they burn in hell!!!!
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by greenasiamcabbagelooking View Post

Yes, it opens on the same day as the restaurant on the corner of Princes St and Sir John Square in Thurso. I can't wait.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast