Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broadband Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_inkstack View Post
    told to upgrade my current broadband speed by purchasing a BT 'Excelerator', went on the website to do so to find out that my telephone sockets are incompatable - great
    I don't know if this is the same as the advice I was peddled.
    I am seriously persisted off with the backwards technology we are getting here, I used to have a suitable broadband connection in my opinion, and this served our needs. But now makes dialup look good.

Anyway yesterday I contacted BT and asked some questions, amongst a line of apologies I was told about a line accelerator! First I heard of it and I asked for more details expecting ground braking technology that would solve my depressingly slow "broadband".
    They told me it would ensure my speeds would be at or around 3000kbps, wowser I thought.
    And when I looked into it...... ta da .... crock of the proverbial.
    Bit if an old ferrite ring jobby. A filter. It would not and cannot alter the speed on the line, it merely helps mildly post domestic termination.

The simple fact in my opinion is that BT do not have the overall capacity to supply a decent broadband speed to the majority of the users in this area of the UK.
    And like any corporation they don't give a toss because it is not economically viable.
    However, I get bombarded with TV ad's, mailshots, web advertising and email SPAM!!!! from them telling me I can have 20Meg broadband!

Latvia, it's the future! I'm tellin' ya.
    Either that or the trebuchet for the BT Directors!

The story so far
    We were visited by an Open Reach engineer on Wednesday who tested the line and said that it was only capable of attaining 512 Kbps with his modem. He was unable to measure the length of the line accurately but suggested it is 4.1 miles. He suggested I wait until he submitted his report before contacting BT Broadband.
    After his visit I disconnected the new shiny black Home Hub and replaced it with the old white one.
    BT Broadband contacted me on Thursday and confirmed the engineer’s report. I explained that I was not happy since Barrock is fitted for ADSL Max and so is capable of 8 Mbps. I said that I was not even getting 10% of that and argued that any other business that charged the full price and delivered less than 10% of the product would be guilty of fraud. It was then suggested that the Home Hub might be defective. So I asked for and was promised a new one in 2-3 days.
    Almost immediately I noticed my Broadband speed increased to 500 Kbps (Wow). This is obviously better than the 116 Kbps I was getting a week ago but I still can’t watch Doc Martin on ITV Player! I would be happier with at least 1 Mbps. If that isn’t going to happen then Ofcom, Otelo and Trading Standards will be approached next.
    If BT had been honest with me from day one I might have been in a better position to make an informed choice but to advertise “up to” speeds and then fail by such a significant margin smacks of fraud and must be challenged.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

...I too am in Barrock and was told to upgrade my current broadband speed by purchasing a BT 'Excelerator', went on the website to do so to find out that my telephone sockets are incompatable...
    If you unplug everything from your telephone line and simply have your router/ADSL modem with PC connected to your master socket, do you still only get 116Kbps? If so then the Accelerator shouldn't make any difference as BT tout it as something which "filters out interference from your home phone wiring to help you go faster".

... so until BT decide to upgrade our current dacs system, I'm stuck with 116 Kbps broadband too - nearly as archaic as dial up !
    I've come across DACS boxes previously and understand they were used to convert a standard telephone line into two separate lines, effectively doubling exchange capacity, however they are absolute death to broadband.

Whenever I have been in contact with BT to insist they remove a DACS box from a line they have complied, although a lack of spare exchange lines may explain their reluctance/inability to do so here.

My dealings with BT over DACS units have only ever been successful where BT Internet or BT Business Broadband have been the ISP - if you are with any other ISP then you have to get the ISP to talk to BT on your behalf. This is a complete waste of time as one will just blame the other and vice versa. Under these circumstances I've found it's best to cancel the Broadband contract with your current ISP (citing inability to provide a decent speed) and sign up to BT which will then get them talking internally to Openreach to get the DACS box removed.

This is how I've come to the conclusion that, when getting Broadband for the first time up here, it's easier to sign up with BT first so ensuring that, should any problems arise with your line, they are sorted tout suite. Once your initial contract period is up you can then switch ISP safe in the knowledge that your line is, at least, capable of broadband.

If it's of any interest, BT Openreach will fund the first £20k of costs to remove a DACS unit which is a fair amount of work, but obviously doesn't run to a complete exchange upgrade to add more capacity.

I think your best bet would be for those being fobbed off to write to OfTel / OfCom (or whoever they are!) and/or your MSP / MP for assistance in resolving the matter.
    Last edited by Bobinovich; 04-Oct-09 at 23:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    If BT had been honest with me from day one I might have been in a better position to make an informed choice but to advertise “up to” speeds and then fail by such a significant margin smacks of fraud and must be challenged.
    Although I agree with the sentiment - they will have spent a lot of time and money making sure that they're within the law.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Ah-ha I knew I'd read it on the OfTel site at one time. This states that "The Guidelines say that, where a line is fitted with a device like DACS, Oftel considers that the line is unlikely to achieve optimum performance. Therefore, where an end-user complains about slow speeds and it turns out that the line is fitted with DACS, the provider (BT/Kingston) should take all reasonable steps to provide a line without DACS, eg by removing the DACS device, or providing an unused line which isn't fitted with DACS."

and goes on...

"Oftel's view - as set out in the guidelines - is that where a customer who requires Internet access complains about a line that is fitted with DACS, all reasonable steps should be taken to provide the customer with a line without DACS. This could be done in a number of ways, eg removing the DACS device, transferring the DACS line to another user who does not require Internet access etc.

BT is required to ensure that it provides (upon reasonable request) a connection capable of supporting functional Internet access. If it fails to do this, then Oftel may need to take enforcement action against it. So, if BT refuses to do something about a customer who has complained about a line fitted with DACS, unless BT can provide very convincing reasons, Oftel may decide it is not providing functional Internet access and take enforcement action, eg impose a fine."

Hit BT Openreach with that lemon and see their face squish ! It can't do any harm anyhow.

Well it has been said already and I know this:
    The kit up here is BT, be it BT, Openreach, BT Business or what ever. So I have, and until a new physical network comes along, used BT.
    Because if there are any issues, your on a hiding to nothing as they will, and do, argue between themselves.

But that said, I do believe we are getting ripped off.
    I am not a heavy user, frequent yes, but not heavy. I don't game, I dont really use youtube, I don't watch TV online type things.
    I used to watch some of the clips you get on the news sites here and there, but I cannot do that anymore.

I do use the internet/broadband for work, but again this is email and basic web-browsing in the main and some voip calls. But all well within my assumed capacity.

My (new) router is plugged into the BT socket via the supplied filter (also swapped for new), I also remove the phone as I do not use it, it get's plugged in when wifeys home!

But, the service is now pooh!
    And despite what they try and tell me, I know that from the exchange to my wee housey it is a pair of good old copper wires which are spliced in a number of locations.

As is the same in most towns and cities!

Whatever is being plumbed into the exchanges up here, and maybe the capacity of the exchanges is not good enough.

I chatted with a BT Business sales gimp yesterday about broadband, I told him my woes and asked what it would take to get a service that would guarantee me 2meg.
    He could not answer it.
    I pushed and pushed again, he avoided the question.

I asked how much it would cost for a leased line, he could not answer me!
    (leased lines have a supposed better contention ratio, i.e. it yours and no one else's)

I think it is time for a few letters to our MP's, MSP's EurowasterMP's, No 10 and the Chairmans office at BT!

Last edited by Phill; 04-Oct-09 at 23:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan16 View Post
    You have my sympathy - when I was in Wick, my connection speed was diabo... Wait, I just need to start this 5MB song download... *Clicks start... 1 Mississippi... 2 Mississippi... 3 Mississippi... 4 Missis... Done* What was I saying?

Thanks for that doll You sound nearly as bad as my boss who lives in Bettyhill and has 8Mb broadband - how does that work then ??????

My dealings with BT over DACS units have only ever been successful where BT Internet or BT Business Broadband have been the ISP - if you are with any other ISP then you have to get the ISP to talk to BT on your behalf. This is a complete waste of time as one will just blame the other and vice versa. Under these circumstances I've found it's best to cancel the Broadband contract with your current ISP (citing inability to provide a decent speed) and sign up to BT which will then get them talking internally to Openreach to get the DACS box removed.

This is very true, i was with orange, BT advised that to upgrade my line it would cost me £1000 +, now with BT Broadband and they took the Dacs system off for free but apparently there isn't enough population out here to upgrade the line from theexchange for faster broadband speeds - they've got you by the short and curlies every way !

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    If you unplug everything from your telephone line and simply have your router/ADSL modem with PC connected to your master socket, do you still only get 116Kbps? If so then the Accelerator shouldn't make any difference as BT tout it as something which "filters out interference from your home phone wiring to help you go faster".

I've come across DACS boxes previously and understand they were used to convert a standard telephone line into two separate lines, effectively doubling exchange capacity, however they are absolute death to broadband.

Whenever I have been in contact with BT to insist they remove a DACS box from a line they have complied, although a lack of spare exchange lines may explain their reluctance/inability to do so here.

This is how I've come to the conclusion that, when getting Broadband for the first time up here, it's easier to sign up with BT first so ensuring that, should any problems arise with your line, they are sorted tout suite. Once your initial contract period is up you can then switch ISP safe in the knowledge that your line is, at least, capable of broadband.

If it's of any interest, BT Openreach will fund the first £20k of costs to remove a DACS unit which is a fair amount of work, but obviously doesn't run to a complete exchange upgrade to add more capacity.

I think your best bet would be for those being fobbed off to write to OfTel / OfCom (or whoever they are!) and/or your MSP / MP for assistance in resolving the matter.
    bob. maybe a silly question but how to you find out if you have
    dacs box on phone line,thanks,as live about 2 miles from watten exchange,and speed is rubbish.

This is very true, i was with orange, BT advised that to upgrade my line it would cost me £1000 +, now with BT Broadband and they took the Dacs system off for free but apparently there isn't enough population out here to upgrade the line from theexchange for faster broadband speeds - they've got you by the short and curlies every way !
    The UK government are throwing about a proposal at the moment where they will tax broadband and use the revenue to pay for high speed connection all over the country.

Really - if they think that we believe this money will go towards the lines they must think we are buttoned up the back.

Just like speeding fines go to repairing the roads eh?
    Behold the turtle - he only ever gets anywhere by sticking his neck out...

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox57 View Post
    bob. maybe a silly question but how to you find out if you have
    dacs box on phone line,thanks,as live about 2 miles from watten exchange,and speed is rubbish.
    Unfortunately I don't know if there's any way for an end-user other than tracing your line both within your house and back to the telegraph pole - if you see a box anywhere on it with DACS on then it's probable that you are connected through one. There are a number of different types which can be seen on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by AfternoonDelight View Post
    The UK government are throwing about a proposal at the moment where they will tax broadband and use the revenue to pay for high speed connection all over the country.

Really - if they think that we believe this money will go towards the lines they must think we are buttoned up the back.

Just like speeding fines go to repairing the roads eh?
    We should be telling the government that we already pay this tax in the form of VAT on our Telephone/Broadband charges. Not only that if we're all paying for 8 Mbps and getting less than 1 Mbps then obviously we're being overcharged as it is!
    Time we all wrote to John Thurso and told him we're not happy.
    Maya Angelou

[QUOTE=Gronnuck;601074] I'm confident any engineer won't find any problem with my wiring/Home Hub/computer. QUOTE]

So! was your Home Hub faulty?

Silverfox57: If you have broadband working (no matter what speed) you are not on a Dacs.

[quote=Kirdon;603327]
    I'm confident any engineer won't find any problem with my wiring/Home Hub/computer. QUOTE]

So! was your Home Hub faulty?

Silverfox57: If you have broadband working (no matter what speed) you are not on a Dacs.
    The BT customer advisor suggested it might be faulty so I asked for a replacement. I've already got a white Home Hub and a new black shiny one and both have the same characteristics and receive under 500 Kbps.
    I think it would be too much of a coincidence for a proven Hub to fail at the same time as a brand new one and so I'm happy to have another Hub just in case.
    Judging by the recent research I've done there are a lot more people suffering slow broadband speeds than BT would care to admit.
    Maya Angelou

Thumbs down

We should be telling the government that we already pay this tax in the form of VAT on our Telephone/Broadband charges. Not only that if we're all paying for 8 Mbps and getting less than 1 Mbps then obviously we're being overcharged as it is!
    Time we all wrote to John Thurso and told him we're not happy.
    I had to be taken off a dacs system a few years ago to allow us to have Broadband, persevered with the dial up as for as long as possible as BT was going to make us pay. Apparently we are on the end of the telephone line from the exchange and that's why our connection speed is so poor. Engineer told me a few years ago that it wouldn't improve untill the actual line was upgraded but BT should have informed me when I signed up for Vision facility recently of the problems if you have less than 2Mb connection and the probability that we wouldn't be able to use it. If they had done I would have stayed with SKY !

Thurso.. or is it Wales? Not sure, what day of the week is it?

..... BT should have informed me when I signed up for Vision facility recently of the problems if you have less than 2Mb ....
    Wait a mo - after working where we worked, you actually expected BT to tell you the truth, or information apart from the very basic!! Shame on you! lol

Just tested and I got:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123