Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Thurso MP

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    Sorry, I know I am not allowed to double post but what exactly is your gripe? Has JT done something specific that he should not have done, or has he not done something specific which he should have done, and if you cannot put up you should shut up.
    ywy2
    My gripe is that I think he is under-performing in certain areas. I appreciate he has performed well for people on an individual basis, stirling stuff an'all that. But he seems very quiet in the House with respect to representing Caithness, I never hear about him speaking. So he's the one that's shut up.

For a second there I was convinced that you thought that I had knowledge of something about him that I wasn't telling you.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    why should I give you Information that does not concern you, is it to simply improve your social status?
    YOU were the one that posted about JT not helping you, I simply asked what had happened. How could anything YOU do improve MY social staus?
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Come the revolution, I would be right up front with the rest getting my teeth knocked in, where would you be probably hiding under the bed, and like all good politians when the dust settles you would come crawling out and taking credit for the outcome.
    Whose revolution, yours? With the rest of who? And what on earth is a 'good politian'? And what makes you think I'm one? You have anger issues friend. Goodbye.
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 28-Sep-09 at 22:05.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    My gripe is that I think he is under-performing in certain areas. I appreciate he has performed well for people on an individual basis, stirling stuff an'all that. But he seems very quiet in the House with respect to representing Caithness, I never hear about him speaking. So he's the one that's shut up.

For a second there I was convinced that you thought that I had knowledge of something about him that I wasn't telling you.
    Please be specific about your complaints Reggy "he seems very quiet in the house" is not a strong basis.

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    Please be specific about your complaints Reggy "he seems very quiet in the house" is not a strong basis.
    I think it is being specific.

If your MP isn't prepared to stand up and fight his corner for his own patch then we may as well have a ventriloquist's dummy as an MP?

He seems like a decent bloke, for sure, and he seems to pursue every local gripe until officialdom becomes exhausted.

But he's never going to be on the inside of Government, is he? In the Lib Dems, he'll always be a voice in the wilderness of Opposition, certainly at Westminster, so these local issues are how he builds up voter loyalty.

If it's influence on national policy rather than parochial politics you want, I'd suggest the area needs to elect someone with a blue badge or a red badge. In reality, the Government at Westminster is only ever going to be Tory or Labour. Continually returning a Lib Dem keeps this area firmly on the periphery.

I'd emphasise this isn't a personal reflection on John Thurso's ability, merely a suggestion that he bought the wrong ticket in the raffle.

Default Politics

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    He seems like a decent bloke, for sure, and he seems to pursue every local gripe until officialdom becomes exhausted.

But he's never going to be on the inside of Government, is he? In the Lib Dems, he'll always be a voice in the wilderness of Opposition, certainly at Westminster, so these local issues are how he builds up voter loyalty.

If it's influence on national policy rather than parochial politics you want, I'd suggest the area needs to elect someone with a blue badge or a red badge. In reality, the Government at Westminster is only ever going to be Tory or Labour. Continually returning a Lib Dem keeps this area firmly on the periphery.

I'd emphasise this isn't a personal reflection on John Thurso's ability, merely a suggestion that he bought the wrong ticket in the raffle.
    I watched Ali G Indahouse for the first time the other night, and after some of the rubbish that has been talked down at Brighton recently I think Mr G has a bigger chance of my vote (if I ever voted).

Ali G. InDaHouse Trailer
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Talking

The skies are still blue for John, no storm clouds as yet on the horizon and he is doing his bit for tourism at the very end of the tourist season...

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1455615

I doubt very much if JT had any input into the timing of this 'seminar'.

As you point out, its the end of the tourist season, what better time to plan and discuss the way ahead for 2010 and beyond ?

Talking

2010? Do you think we'll see much of him next year?

As for Gaelic Mod and bilingual signs he is caught between a clach and a hard place.

Quote Originally Posted by davie View Post
    I doubt very much if JT had any input into the timing of this 'seminar'.

As you point out, its the end of the tourist season, what better time to plan and discuss the way ahead for 2010 and beyond ?
    Exactly. There would be no point holding such a seminar at the beginning of the season (too late) or during (everyone too busy) so when do you suggest, Rheggy?

In fact he frequently raises local issues in the House and probably does a lot more behind the scenes than we hear about in the Press, as those of us who have asked him to raise matters know.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

OMG, people are so touchy and defensive about John, I like that, I really do. What were you thinking that I was implying?

Good to see John putting his efforts into representing his constituency even right at the last, never too late I say. Trying to market a desire to come here is great, almost revolutionary in approach. I guess he'd want the tourists to go to the museums and heritage centres and that, eh, packed full of all the artifacts of honest Highland yesteryear, untainted by corperate greed and corruption?
    Last edited by Rheghead; 28-Oct-09 at 22:06.

another thread out of control,keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    In fact he frequently raises local issues in the House and probably does a lot more behind the scenes than we hear about in the Press, as those of us who have asked him to raise matters know.
    Which issue did he raise in the House which you asked him to do?

Would people generally agree that John Thurso's pro-nuclear and unsympathetic stance towards wind energy and other minor issues like hunting and expenses has made him a somewhat embarassment in his own party and has left him very vulnerable to deselection from the Liberal Democrats in the light of any unsavory matters that might arise? If so, would he garner strong local support from the wider Easter Ross and Sutherland areas if he stood as an independent?
    Last edited by Rheghead; 29-Oct-09 at 00:30.

I;m sure JohnThurso will find all this very interesting when he reads it!
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I;m sure JohnThurso will find all this very interesting when he reads it!
    Who else but the man himself would be better to answer my questions seeing nobody can be bothered to discuss his prospects. I'm sure he will be eager to discuss the points that I've raised, but then again perhaps not so much. I believe he has been a very busy man these last couple of days...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123