Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Beaten by emotion

Default Beaten by emotion

I moved from caithness to seek a job and start my career but now about 8 months down the line and i'm still riddled by home sickness. i miss my friends and my family so much and sometimes it is hard not to see them often as i did when i lived in thurso.

I sometimes think have i made a big mistake? Was i ready?

I can't work in caithness as there are no full time nursery jobs up in caithness so even though my friends and family are there i can't move back as it would be a backward step for my ambition to set up my own nursery.

I'm penned in by my own ambitions.

I love my job and it is why i am in inverness. I couldn't leave it untill i have done my year in ness and move somewhere else.

Any tips on how to handle home sickness?

I have a whole week off work in november and i am looking so forward to spending a whole 8 days with my family and friends. I can't wait.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

I moved in the opposite direction. I'm originally from North Lanarkshire and moved to Thurso 7 weeks ago. So far I absolutely love it but I do miss my family from time to time. With me a phone call is enough to stave off the home sickness but my parents visit every few months and I'm lucky enough to be a teacher with lots of holidays so I can get down to see them.

I think the best way to stave off home sickness is to be as busy as possible. I've been lucky to make friends up here fairly quickly through my work and have a good social life. Perhaps you could try to meet more folk down in Inverness which might take your mind off your home sickness a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceddaisy View Post
    ...be as busy as possible....
    Great advice for any situation but especially emotional when things may be playing on your mind. Having too much time on your hands allows your brain to run riot, the consequences of which often include lack of sleep which in itself is not good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    I moved from caithness to seek a job and start my career but now about 8 months down the line and i'm still riddled by home sickness. i miss my friends and my family so much and sometimes it is hard not to see them often as i did when i lived in thurso.

I sometimes think have i made a big mistake? Was i ready?

I can't work in caithness as there are no full time nursery jobs up in caithness so even though my friends and family are there i can't move back as it would be a backward step for my ambition to set up my own nursery.

I'm penned in by my own ambitions.

I love my job and it is why i am in inverness. I couldn't leave it untill i have done my year in ness and move somewhere else.

Any tips on how to handle home sickness?

I have a whole week off work in november and i am looking so forward to spending a whole 8 days with my family and friends. I can't wait.

Just be gratefull your not too far. At the end of the day your only a little 2 hrs drive away. Sucks for me as I'm 4000 miles away and can't exactly pop over to see my 4 kids at the weekend

I spent 5yrs living 12,000 mls away from home. I did not find it too bad as I had made up my mind not to get homesick as it was too far away and I couldn't afford to come back for a short holiday. Your problem is that maybe you are too near home, but having said that you are able to pop back up here for a quick break at the weekends and that should relieve things. Main thing is to have plenty to do in your spare time even if it means going to evening classes for some recreational hobby.

Good luck and stick it out.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

i feel for you hun but at the end of the day you are only a couple hours away. come home at weekends days off. i moved over here 10 years ago, at the age of 22 with no family or friends on the same continent. its not easy and the first 3 years i was miserable, but i stuck it out because i love my husband and well it was either stay or go.
    keeping busy does help, making new friends helps a lot.
    and what you will learn with a little time and as you grow, you can never really go back home
    once you have spread your wings.
    its a great place to visit but you will out grow your past, and find lots of new adventures and your own path to follow.
    i hope its not a long journey for you, and that you have a blast making your dreams come true!
    http://itqueries.com/

Dont say no to anything, dinner, coffee, parties, nights out with work. Even if you dont think you will like a night of folk music say yes and go along. Scour the paper for free/or cheap things and even if they are things that might not be your taste and go along. Do a class - traditional music, singing, dancing are all cheap as chips through the council.

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    iand what you will learn with a little time and as you grow, you can never really go back home
    once you have spread your wings.

Says who?
    Behold the turtle - he only ever gets anywhere by sticking his neck out...

Quote Originally Posted by AfternoonDelight View Post
    Says who?
    Experience
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing