Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: £35??

I might pay that kind of money for a ticket for A BAND I CAN ACTUALLY REMEMBER FROM THE 70S. Smokie appear to have slipped out of the memory banks completely. Anyway for that kind of money I could get some of the Beatles re-mastered CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    I might pay that kind of money for a ticket for A BAND I CAN ACTUALLY REMEMBER FROM THE 70S. Smokie appear to have slipped out of the memory banks completely. Anyway for that kind of money I could get some of the Beatles re-mastered CDs.
    Who are the Beatles?

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    Who are the Beatles?
    Some Sixties band, I think.

Anyway, although I can see where Gizmo is coming from (£35 for a not exactly brilliant venue), if you think about it, you could soon knock up £35 per head just going out for a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    £70 is not dear if u enjoy listening to them some people smoke that in a week or drink it on a friday night.
    Imagine if u was a smokie fan and they were playing in inverness only look how much that would cost to drive down and back up plus the hasstle of driving.
    In this day and age if a couple can go out for a nights worth of quality entertainment for £100 thats reasonable in this day age with the cost of things

Sounds lek you have plenty of money then!!!!
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

Quote Originally Posted by telfordstar View Post
    Sounds lek you have plenty of money then!!!!
    I wish i had but i dont i just think a lot of people are making a mountain out of a mole over £35.

I donot think it is dear and if i was not working till late i myself would have gone really liked smokie in the 70s x

You have to ask yourself why the tickets are £35.

Firstly the bands fee, how many are in the band, how far are they travelling, are they staying the night, meals...??? They may also be there early in the afternoon doing sound checks.

Then there's rent and rates, advertising, staff & the list goes on really...
    Greed & Competition aren't the result of immutable human temperament, greed & fear of scarcity have being created & amplified. Consequently, we've got to fight with each other in order to survive!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio12thNov View Post
    You have to ask yourself why the tickets are £35.

Firstly the bands fee, how many are in the band, how far are they travelling, are they staying the night, meals...??? They may also be there early in the afternoon doing sound checks.

Then there's rent and rates, advertising, staff & the list goes on really...
    according to the Courier, its £35 for Smokie and the Disco, and £7 for the disco only. so assuming my math is correct you are only paying £28 for smokie. But you can't just buy a £28 ticket
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Just to let you know the people who think the Waterfront is chargin that much to make a profit I would say ur wrong I rekon the Waterfront will be lucky to break even I heard the band is costing £20,000 plus they get food, drink and accomodation then the waterfront have still all the usuall bills to pay on top of it and you are right about SECC they can fit alot more in than the waterfront can i rekon what maybe a 1000 in th Waterfront so that doesn't give much if they were to charge less. I personally can't wait I love smokie and I'm in my early 20ies I think it'l be a good mixture of people and ages and from what I hear scotland Smokie r only playin 2 gigs in Scotland and hearing about it on the radio made me think great Caithness finally gettin some talk about it. Anyway I hope its a good night and busy when I got my tickets they told me there wasn't many left so I can't wait and also I've knowen about it for so long I managed to be clever with my money and save up for it it's not like you just found out about it .

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzz View Post
    I heard the band is costing £20,000
    There's not a chance in hell that they're charging £20,000 for one performance. Not a chance.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    There's not a chance in hell that they're charging £20,000 for one performance. Not a chance.
    Nope, no way. If they're charging £20k and getting it then there's something far wrong. That's rubbish.

Who cares how much it is. As Jeid said, if you don't want to pay £35 to see them, don't go.

Not sure if this is of any use or measure, but here's a list of some band fees circa 2005 (in $ dollars)...

Andrew WK 10-12.5K
    Audioslave 100K+
    Bad Religion 25K
    Badly Drawn Boy 10-15K
    Barenaked Ladies 150K
    Basement Jaxx 10K
    Beach Boys 75K++
    Beck 75K
    Ben Folds 35K (plus piano rental)
    Billy Corgan 15-20K (theatres only)
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club 10-12.5K
    Bloodhound Gang 17.5-25K
    Blur * 35-40K
    Cardigans, The 7-10K
    Counting Crows 50-80K
    Green Day 100K+
    Jon Spencer Blues Explosion 20K
    Keane 35-50K
    Kings of Leon 15-20K
    Lenny Kravitz 150-200K
    Moby 40-50K
    Polyphonic Spree 15-20K
    Queens of the Stone Age 75-100K
    Rancid 20-25K
    Weezer 125-150K

Quite interesting, Who'd have thought Weezer would be one of the top paid bands on that list?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Quite interesting, Who'd have thought Weezer would be one of the top paid bands on that list?
    I wouldn't have but either River's is a weird chap, once fined his band mates for being out of tune. I bet he has a strange rider and odd demands
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Regardless of price, the entertainment value of the posters that have appeared around town that feature the band have made their journey north worthwhile.

Hilarious does not adequately describe the sight. It's like seeing what def leppard will look like in five, maybe ten years. Hell, i wouldnt be surprised to see that treacherous scumbag Vivian Campbell appear on stage at the waterfront with smokie. He'll peddle himself to the lowest bidder without a second thought.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Weezer 125-150K

Ye gods. I wonder if they'd lower the fee if they didnt have the warbling cretin on vocals.

Issuing a fine to his unfortunate bandmates for being out of tune has a special irony. He's flat on every single thing i've heard of theirs.

Spend half their fee on the beach boys and get a lesson in singing in key!
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

I hear there's a band called 'James Brown Is Jesus' playing in Thurso this weekend and the admission if free!!! This an outrageous ticket price for a band of no real position or past hits!!!!!!

Shocking, isn't it? Though I wholeheartedly concur.

Actually, now that I see what those bands get, I feel bad for asking for £80 when we played in May supporting Yashin, clearly our fee is too high

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Actually, now that I see what those bands get, I feel bad for asking for £80 when we played in May supporting Yashin, clearly our fee is too high
    Indubitably!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast