Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't do as I do, do as I say!! / Who Do You Believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    She wasn't using ignorance as an excuse, she was using ignorance as a mitigating circumstance which we are all entitled to use in court. She fully accepts that ignorance was not an excuse that is why she pleaded guilty.

Why do you think she was treated leniently? She got fined £5000, that is a hefty fine despite the mitigating circumstance of not knowing, whilst drivers who bring in illegals only get fined £2000 knowingly doing so (last time I looked into it). So where is the logic there?
    mitigating circumstance is just a fancy way of putting an excuse. also what was the maximum for this offence ?.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    mitigating circumstance is just a fancy way of putting an excuse. also what was the maximum for this offence ?.
    Am I supposed to glean some sort of severity with which she was treated by a comparison with the maximum sentence?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Am I supposed to glean some sort of severity with which she was treated by a comparison with the maximum sentence?
    Yes, or how can you make a statement on the subject.

She wasn't using ignorance as an excuse, she was using ignorance as a mitigating circumstance which we are all entitled to use in court. She fully accepts that ignorance was not an excuse that is why she pleaded guilty.

Why do you think she was treated leniently? She got fined £5000, that is a hefty fine despite the mitigating circumstance of not knowing, whilst drivers who bring in illegals only get fined £2000 knowingly doing so (last time I looked into it). So where is the logic there?
    Drivers get the fine even if they don't know £2000 being the maximum per head.
    Not knowing is not an excuse/mitigating circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    Yes, or how can you make a statement on the subject.
    Wouldn't a comparison with sentences dealt to other individuals be more reliable? We're trying to establish if she was treated out of the ordinary, right?

To add to that, she was fined 50% of the maximum sentence, for unknowingly employing one person. Seems like she was dealt with severely in my opinion considering what others are getting up to.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 23-Sep-09 at 14:06.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Wouldn't a comparison with sentences dealt to other individuals be more reliable? We're trying to establish if she was treated out of the ordinary, right?
    Have it your way/interpretation, I really can't be bothered, nor really care.

Default Who do you believe........?

The Baroness or the housekeeper, someones telling porkies.

I would have believed the housekeeper, but since she's sold her story to one of the Sunday rags (via that 'media consultant' goon) I couldn't care less.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    I would have believed the housekeeper, but since she's sold her story to one of the Sunday rags (via that 'media consultant' goon) I couldn't care less.
    Like you, I think she has sour grapes and is now milking the papers for all the cash she can get before being deported (eventually/maybe).
    I thought making money from criminal activities was outlawed, or is this a civil crime as the baroness used for her excuse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12