Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't do as I do, do as I say!! / Who Do You Believe?

Default Don't do as I do, do as I say!! / Who Do You Believe?

Is it right that Baroness Scotland should remain in her Government role?
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

No. And why did she only get fined £5 000, whereas if it had been any small business man they would have had to pay £10 000. I was always under the impression that ignorance of the law was not an excuse. These people make me sick.

Also since she helped to write this Law she does not even have the excuse of not being aware of it. So it is far, far worse and she should GO !!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Angry

New Liebour political parasites, politicians if you wish, don't GO - there is no honour among them.

She broke the law and should be kicked out of office forthwith, serve a prison sentence and be stripped of her title.

Default Don't do as i do, do as i say!

Politicians have different Laws , to the general public, surely people must realize that after the expenses claims.

Someone said that she does not accept ignorance of the true state of an immigrant as defence. Typical hypocrisy. Who else would be allowed to plead that they "forgot to photocopy the documents"? She says she made a mistake - just like all those expenses "mistakes"
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

No half-measures - off with her head I say!!

She didnt practice what she preached so she should go.

Absolutely... why change a system we accept and understand...

I mean I understand the need for corruption and accept it will never go away...

Angel...

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Someone said that she does not accept ignorance of the true state of an immigrant as defence. Typical hypocrisy. Who else would be allowed to plead that they "forgot to photocopy the documents"? She says she made a mistake - just like all those expenses "mistakes"
    Aye and she has the audacity to say it wasn't a criminal offence just a civil action.

Quote Originally Posted by PantsMAN View Post
    No half-measures - off with her head I say!!
    Is that not a bit extreme? I suggest the ducking stool, if it's good enough for my ilk it's good enough for Lady S.

Does anybody know how you apply to become attorney general? Is legal experience necessary or can I make it up as I go along by applying heaped tablespoonfuls of common sense to my undoubted aptitude for high office?

Get your best broomsticks out sisters, our time is nigh.

I think it is highly commendable of her to admit to her mistake and take the hefty fine on the chin. Good for her I say.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I think it is highly commendable of her to admit to her mistake and take the hefty fine on the chin. Good for her I say.

He says in a tongue in cheek manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    He says in a tongue in cheek manner.
    Not really, listen to what she says.

I am an immigrant in the UK under the same Visa system as Lady Scotland's worker. I too am expected to supply my employer with copies of my documents.

But life takes over and sometimes we forget to attend to these details. Of course this story has reminded me that I need to get those copies over to head office.

I am very aware that it is so easy for things to fall through the cracks. Once the situation is recognized, if all the paper work really is in order, then it doesn't take much to get things sorted. What the Border Patrol should be about is not spending resources on charging people where minor omissions have been made, but rather focussing on the blatant breaches of immigration law.

Not really, listen to what she says.
    I don't agree, try using ignorance as an excuse in court and see where it gets you.
    The point being she should have done it and didn't, what makes it worse in her case, she drafted the law and now has been treat leniently while other businesses get the book thrown at them. Gross incompetence in my opinion, such as it is.

Hardly her decision. She appears have been told to apologies by the PM which is rather different. Recently 'Caithness' business man got jail for employing illegal immigrants - apologising did him no good.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I am an immigrant in the UK under the same Visa system as Lady Scotland's worker. I too am expected to supply my employer with copies of my documents.

But life takes over and sometimes we forget to attend to these details. Of course this story has reminded me that I need to get those copies over to head office.

I am very aware that it is so easy for things to fall through the cracks. Once the situation is recognized, if all the paper work really is in order, then it doesn't take much to get things sorted. What the Border Patrol should be about is not spending resources on charging people where minor omissions have been made, but rather focussing on the blatant breaches of immigration law.
    I am afraid in your situstion you have to be doubly careful. It is your responsibility to ensure you follow the rules of a country in which, effectively, you are a guest but deriving the benefits of a system you may be paying towards now but may not have been for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    I don't agree, try using ignorance as an excuse in court and see where it gets you.
    The point being she should have done it and didn't, what makes it worse in her case, she drafted the law and now has been treat leniently while other businesses get the book thrown at them. Gross incompetence in my opinion, such as it is.
    She wasn't using ignorance as an excuse, she was using ignorance as a mitigating circumstance which we are all entitled to use in court. She fully accepts that ignorance was not an excuse that is why she pleaded guilty.

Why do you think she was treated leniently? She got fined £5000, that is a hefty fine despite the mitigating circumstance of not knowing, whilst drivers who bring in illegals only get fined £2000 knowingly doing so (last time I looked into it). So where is the logic there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast