Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bird watchers

Default Bird watchers

Hi all you bird lovers.
    I have some friends coming to stay with me next week and they are avid bird watchers please can you advise me the best places to go to at this time of the year to observe any. I hope to take them to Forsinard one day.
    Thank you in anticipation

Quote Originally Posted by Racoon View Post
    Hi all you bird lovers.
    I have some friends coming to stay with me next week and they are avid bird watchers please can you advise me the best places to go to at this time of the year to observe any. I hope to take them to Forsinard one day.
    Thank you in anticipation
    Forsinard is not really a good spot for general birdwatching, especially at this time of year, once you are down there you have very few places to go to close by. Try Dunnet bay for sea ducks etc, some of the harbours are worth a look for Gulls, Ducks and Waders, Harrow can be good if you get the tides right. Look for stubble fields, there could be a few early Geese feeding, also look for finches here. You could try St Johns Loch for Swans and Ducks and St Johns Pool may hold a few passing migration stragglers. Loch May sometimes pays dividends if you have a telescope, (the hide is too far away for close watching).

nirofo.

If you do decide to make the trip to Forsinard, keep an eye out for geese, there are usually quite a few around by the lochan about a mile along on the right from the main road, it's also good buzzard territory and if you park up on one of the riverside places you should get glimpses of quite a variety of small birds.
    I agree with nirofo that Forsinard it's self at this time of year is a bit of a waste of time although if the centre is open the films are well worth a watch.
    A wander round Scrabster harbour is often interesting as can be the entrance to Thurso river and quite a few species turn up on Wick river by the main carpark.Gill's bay view point,binoculars or scope advised,Sannick Bay and Ham pool might be worth a visit.
    Where ever you go, happy birdwatching.

There's always plenty to see up Wick River. Was up there today and saw Black Headed & Herring Gulls, Redshank, Heron, Swallows, House Martins, Mallard, Teal, Wigeon, Goosander and Goldfinch.

Smile Bird watching along Wick River

That's a great selection!
    Caring people, caring for your animals......highlandpetcare.co.uk

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.