Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local bands - vocals v guitars

Exclamation wow

u never heard of duress gleber2?
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by zebedy
    u never heard of duress gleber2?
    Heard of them,that's all, and if Reev's no better than Einstein then I dinna want to hear them anyway.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid
    Think its all a matter of taste. You can check our singer out from the link in my signature.

I really like Stevie Taylor's voice.
    Wow! I have just listened to Wasted State's two sample tracks, and am mucho impressed by Gavin Chessor's voice!

Exclamation

Duress are lethal Gleber2

They are on the return! REEV!!.. even if it takes me kickin ure bottoms in gear!

And yes...

The once cover monkeys are coming back with sumthing different!

Even if i have to organize there praks for them!

I finally heard Reev sing tonight. He might not be the best but his tone, intonation, articulation and diction were surprisingly good. Ten years of hard work and he might become a singer if he doesn't drink himself to death in the interim.

Exclamation

awesome... I agree... Dunno what all the big words meen Gleber2 but yeah Reev is a great singer!

Do u know what Like my uncle was... Did he sing back in the day Gleber2?

Some thoughts on guitars over vocals.....

I was at a gig in Edinburgh last nite - Emergenza Unsigned semi final. Some of the bands were boring - long bass solos going nowhere; others were gimmicky - chucking guitars about the stage (what's that all about? Guitars get broken easily!) Anyway, the band who won, 7 Story Ruin, are all talented musicians - but you could sing along to their songs, and to me, that is really important. So I guess vocals over guitars for me!

Check them out at
    http://www.myspace.com/7storyruin

What were you doing at an Emergenza show, Susan? Stay away fae they battle-of-the-bands/ sign-away-your-soul shows, they're no good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge
    What were you doing at an Emergenza show, Susan? Stay away fae they battle-of-the-bands/ sign-away-your-soul shows, they're no good for you.
    I seem to remember a band called Gamma Delta getting knocked out of a Battle of the Bands last year by a group called Emergenza. Do I detect a whiff of sour grapes?

When you're 17, you've got to live the dream while you can ..... Just showing my support for the boys from Leith.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    I seem to remember a band called Gamma Delta getting knocked out of a Battle of the Bands last year by a group called Emergenza. Do I detect a whiff of sour grapes?
    Not at all. It was merely an experiment. In fact, if you buy - or just choose to look it up online - you can see my (mini) feature on the Battle-of-the-Bands phenomena in the Critique section of The Scotsman newspaper next Saturday. All will be revealed there. By the way, it was Gamma Vs Delta ;-)

Not at all. It was merely an experiment. In fact, if you buy - or just choose to look it up online - you can see my (mini) feature on the Battle-of-the-Bands phenomena in the Critique section of The Scotsman newspaper next Saturday. All will be revealed there. By the way, it was Gamma Vs Delta ;-)

How can you expect an old man like me to recall the minutae of unimportant facts?

I don't; just merely bringing it to your attention.

I'll make a point of looking for that next week! Thanks.

BTW did you go to see Elvis at the Playhouse?? Not a fan, but went with friends........OMG it was dire!

Thankfully I missed it. However, I was asked to cover the Elvis show at the Festival Theatre, based on the '68 Comeback. You can always book my own Elvis here: www.superelvis.co.uk. He's available for children's parties, weddings, bar mitzvas etc. Just don't get me started on the Sing-along-with-Elvis shows. Sheesh!

Yes... I think I 'm clear now...??!!

Vocals are the most important then? and if they are decent and the overall sound is good then lyrics become more meaningful.

Which leads me on to who writes the best lyrics then ?
    Or again does that depend on taste,age or association with the genre involved.
    Patience is the ability to put up with someone you'd like to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless
    Yes... I think I 'm clear now...??!!

Vocals are the most important then? and if they are decent and the overall sound is good then lyrics become more meaningful.

Which leads me on to who writes the best lyrics then ?
    Or again does that depend on taste,age or association with the genre involved.
    Who can tell when most of the vocals in modern music are virtually impossible to decipher.

I take your point..infact I wonder whether a large percentage of those that notice lyrics are the critics[gives them something to write about]... but rather less generally.
    What about those beloved bands and individuals who live more locally?

There was a list somewhere someone was making wasn't there of websites etc of all bands and individuals locally?

but perhaps it may be difficult to get an unbiased opinion from those with bands etc on here?
    Patience is the ability to put up with someone you'd like to put down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12