Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local bands - vocals v guitars

Default Local bands - vocals v guitars

Why does nearly every local band that plays in Thurso (from what I've seen) concentrate more on guitar playing than vocal clarity? Surely the lyrics and vocal performance are the most important part of a song? Guitarists can have their moments of glory in the solos, then come back in behind the vocals and not over the top of them. What's the need for them cranking it up the whole way through?

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatsPurr
    Why does nearly every local band that plays in Thurso (from what I've seen) concentrate more on guitar playing than vocal clarity? Surely the lyrics and vocal performance are the most important part of a song? Guitarists can have their moments of glory in the solos, then come back in behind the vocals and not over the top of them. What's the need for them cranking it up the whole way through?
    Maybe it's because none of them can sing. But that seems to be de rigeur these days to be popular!!!!
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

well, I didn't like to say incase I put noses out of joint!

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatsPurr
    well, I didn't like to say incase I put noses out of joint!
    My nose is so out of joint it revolves. Say what you think, but be sure your band can't be put in the same box.

Which band or individual has the best vocals then ?
    Or is it a matter of taste?
    Patience is the ability to put up with someone you'd like to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless
    Or is it a matter of taste?
    I've not heard all the local bands so I can't say. Stevie Taylor has a distinctive voice ,Cyanide have a fine chanter and Crimson Tide are excellent. I won't comment on the rest.

Think its all a matter of taste. You can check our singer out from the link in my signature.

I really like Stevie Taylor's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid
    Think its all a matter of taste. You can check our singer out from the link in my signature.

I really like Stevie Taylor's voice.
    There are those that can sing and there are those that can't. Not a matter if taste but a matter of fact.

Yeah John, but thats not what was asked. The question is:

So indeed, it is a matter of taste.

Yeah John, but thats not what was asked. The question is:

So indeed, it is a matter of taste.
    You infer that none of them can sing and its a matter of taste as to who is the best of a bad bunch. And also the criteria that creates your taste dictates your opinion.

Exclamation woah ^_^

I love reading the forums

But man You guys are using sum pritty big words...

I've lost track!

haha
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    You infer that none of them can sing and its a matter of taste as to who is the best of a bad bunch. And also the criteria that creates your taste dictates your opinion.
    Actually, I'm not, you're putting words into my mouth. I never said any of "them" were a bad bunch. Stop mis-reading what I'm saying. I said it's a matter of taste, much like who the best guitar player is, who the best drummer is, which band is the best etc. I could list on forever, but I ain't gonna bother.

You think Stevie Taylor has a good voice, as do I. However, it doesn't mean that we'll share all our opinions on what we class as a good singer. There might be something in a vocalists style that I find appealing and you totally dislike. That is a matter of opinion John. Correct, there are those who can sing and those who cannot. It just ain't as black and white as that. There are voices that I listen to regularly, a lot of them try to sound similar and they all do a good job, but some do it better. It doesn't mean the person who doesn't do it as well can't sing.

Thanks for clarifying what you see as my understanding of your post. Diction, intonation, articulation and timing are the points which decide whether one is a good singer or not, not anyones opinion, although you are indeed entitled to yours.

Thanks for clearing that one up.

Thanks for clearing that one up.
    C'mon man, is it impossible to get a good arguement on this music Forum anymore. Bring back Uppiebalad.
    By the way, hev ye got an elephant??????

Barry usually has an antagonistic thing or two to say, where's he these days?! On the other forums probably.

Nah but seriously, it's no like the old days when you could walk into a pub and there'd be some dude standing there with a tele or strat, hooked up to a fender twin or peavey bandit giving it the old bar chords, waiting for his big pentatonic minor moment. Then it was back into the shadows allowing the singer to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    C'mon man, is it impossible to get a good arguement on this music Forum anymore. Bring back Uppiebalad.
    By the way, hev ye got an elephant??????
    Indeed it is, sad times. Shame we need someone like him to keep us interested. Lets get him back.. I have his e-mail address

An elephant? What?

Indeed it is, sad times. Shame we need someone like him to keep us interested. Lets get him back.. I have his e-mail address

An elephant? What?
    You a obviously don't keep up with the General Forum or you would't ask the relevance of elephants.

Back to the other question. Pavarotti can sing, Bob Dylan and Mick Jagger can't. Their popularity is a different matter. I cringe at Dylan and Jagger but that does not change the opinions of those who almost worship them as singer/songwriters. Don't like Pavarotti much when I compare him to Caruso, Geli or Macormack but my opinion does not change the fact he can sing.The style of vocals created by the 1976 punk thing can be emulated by anyone whether they can sing or not and the subsequent shouting screamo styles just make me laugh and believe me, I have heard quite a lot of it. To compare the relative vocal merits of this style of singing is more about entertainment than vocal ability and most of it benefits from being drowned out by a heavily distorted , totally unsympathetic guitar.

Hmm were not getting anywhere here, well, whos the best.....i know who is, i am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

"The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

Quote Originally Posted by Reev
    Hmm were not getting anywhere here, well, whos the best.....i know who is, i am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How come I've never heard ye sing then??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast