Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: "Fields of Barley"

Default "Fields of Barley"

I saw this play and I have read the review in last weeks paper and the one coming under attack in today's Groat.

I thought the review in the newspaper was rather unctuous and may as well have been written by the playwright, whilst the review on Hi-Arts website was balanced, better written amd reflected the impression I have of the play. I can trace my Caithness roots back over 300 years.

Any chance you cluld provide linlks to or copies of the articlesyou refer to? I read Barry Gordon's review on the Hi Arts site and would be interested to see the one in the Groat and today's letter if possible. I checked the Groat website but could not see anything.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

http://www.hi-arts.co.uk/Default.asp...05.Lang-EN.htm

Sorry - does that mean that everyone speaking in a Caithness dialect to people outside the county should tone down their accent so that other people can understand them?

Accents and dialects are what makes our country such a rich tapestry and the author of the piece was obviously looking for an angle to trash the play, and not in a constructive way.

George has always written plays about Caithness, he's a Caithness writer and should never have to apologise for doing such. Some people do actually enjoy getting experience of other accents and dialects - this is the arts; imaginations are supposed to be used! It would have totally devalued the play to have done it any other way.

Well done to the young actors and the director on a fine piece of theatre - we could do with more of that kind of thing in Caithness. Just make sure it's in the Queen's English next time though - we wouldn't want people in Caithness to be speaking in their own dialect now, would we - how inconsiderate...
    Behold the turtle - he only ever gets anywhere by sticking his neck out...

Sorry, Scotsboy - I had a look for the other link but it's not been updated today. It's not a letter in the Groat - it's an article on page 5.
    Behold the turtle - he only ever gets anywhere by sticking his neck out...

I'll have a look later and see of it is updated. Cheers.

I didn't detect any tone regarding the piece on hi-arts, just a reviewer giving his honest opinion.

For what it's worth I thought the play was good too, and the actors were super, perhaps the echoes of Sunset Song were a bit obvious.

The Norse mythology and the soliloquys, for me, didn't work.

Just discovered this thread.

I have asked the Groat if they would publish my right-of-reply letter; if they decide not to, then I will put my reaction up on a public blog for those who care to read it.

As I have no access to the local paper in my region, I can't be sure if the Groat has published my letter in reply to Duncan Ross's article re: Fields of Barley, last Friday. If it is published, I can't be sure, either, if it has been edited or censored. Therefore, a full transcript of my letter (verbatim) can be found here:

http://shaveandahaircuttwobits.blogspot.com/

"Indeed, perhaps we should all consider the words of French writer, Francois de La Rochefoucauld - who said "Those who occupy their minds with small matters, generally become incapable of greatness" - and move on. I know I will."

Aye, your going to be great right enough Barry.

Sorry about the text. I dunno how to change it.
    Last edited by gleeber; 25-Sep-09 at 07:05. Reason: Bold text

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    As I have no access to the local paper in my region, I can't be sure if the Groat has published my letter in reply to Duncan Ross's article re: Fields of Barley, last Friday. If it is published, I can't be sure, either, if it has been edited or censored. Therefore, a full transcript of my letter (verbatim) can be found here:

http://shaveandahaircuttwobits.blogspot.com/
    The groat published your letter today in the 'Letters to the Editor' Section.
    They didnt edit anything either by the looks of things - it's all there word for word.

Talking

Some (self) important mannies writing about this play.

I mean a "respected reviewer for the past ten years" and some Gollach cheil has the temerity to disagree with him and even imply that he uses words out of context.

What is the world coming to ?

The tragic thing that makes it all so funny is that the critical review has provoked debate whilst the play has been forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by AfternoonDelight View Post
    http://www.hi-arts.co.uk/Default.asp...05.Lang-EN.htm

Sorry - does that mean that everyone speaking in a Caithness dialect to people outside the county should tone down their accent so that other people can understand them?

:
    No they should not tone down their accents but equally they should not exaggerate the accent to extreme which some do for effect. I think Ian Sutherland in Wick has superb local history knowedge and George Gunn is a good writer but I am afraid both feel they have to greatly over emphasis the Caithness dialect almost as a protest or to give message to say 'we are from Caithness and do not forget it'.

"In the case of The Fields Of Barley, it was my view that the play’s use of dialect - however aesthetically pleasing - might, and I say might, limit its appeal performed anywhere else other than Caithness. That’s not to say it wouldn’t be appreciated elsewhere (though I do not understand a word of Gaelic, I have a sincere appreciation of its melodic cadence), am sure it would. I just doubt it would be as appreciated in other parts of the country, as it would in Caithness."

What's wrong with that? Are you under the assumption that art is universal? The Steamie doesn't have the same appeal here as it does in Glasgow but do many people bang on about that? No, because it's from the 'centre'.

I also believe that the play is called "Fields of Barley" without the 'The'.

Not seen the play, but would certainly like to.

I didn't think the Hi-Arts review was that bad, in fact I thought it was pretty positive............however by the tone and content of his response I think Pepsi is as "guilty" of not being able to accept criticism as those who were upset by his piece..........as we are banding erudite quotes around, I am sure it was Brendan Behan who said there is no such thing as bad publicity.

By the way anyone know where I can get an Atomic City t-shirt??

I would like to see Fields of Barley and Atomic City. Is there really an Atomic City t-shirt?

I thought Barry's review was fair and good. He's a reviewer not a sycophant.

I can only see Sting as the American.

Nice to see that so many people are concerned about the arts in Caithness, its presentation and the language we speak.

Firstly, I can't help but feel a little for both parties. I'm sure Barry / Pepsi wrote the review with good intentions, and that his concerns over the use of Caithness dialect were genuine.

However I would have expected the review to tackle this issue head on, by talking about the use of dialect in theatre in a more general fashion. The reference to Trainspotting in the original review, for example, doesn't really lead anywhere, in my opinion, where it could have led for wider scope and a more detailed comparison.

Where does Trainspotting succeed where Fields of Barley falls down, Barry?

It does seem that the review has pricked a few egos, but this could well be due to the ambiguous nature of some phrasing - 'soiled' being the perfect example - and Pepsi's stance over some local issues on this very forum. Could his reputation have preceded him, adding a negative slant where it was not intended?

All in all though.. a good discussion.
    Week will inherit the earth.....

I've pretty much said all I want to say on this subject. Any further correspondence on it (for me, anyway) can be dealt with via PM. Ta.