Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thurso History

Default Thurso History

Crossing Thurso river, normally the coble crossed at the south end of the harbour at a place called the Gutters, but in spates and high tides it crossed above the Gutters.The crossing was dangerous and especially in stormy weather. On market days they were inclined to overload the coble and records suggest that they were far from sober. One tragic occasion in the spring of 1749 the coble capsized and seventeen people were drowned.

taken from OLD THURSO by Donald Grant

Quote Originally Posted by highlander
    Crossing Thurso river, normally the coble crossed at the south end of the harbour at a place called the Gutters, but in spates and high tides it crossed above the Gutters.The crossing was dangerous and especially in stormy weather. On market days they were inclined to overload the coble and records suggest that they were far from sober. One tragic occasion in the spring of 1749 the coble capsized and seventeen people were drowned.

taken from OLD THURSO by Donald Grant
    All this talk about Donald Grant.. He was the Rector of Thurso High School in the late fifties and sixties. He wrote Caithness Dialect poetry and was a recognised expert in this art form and the history of Caithness. He wielded the belt better than anyone that's ever belted me. A true giant of man.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    All this talk about Donald Grant.. He was the Rector of Thurso High School in the late fifties and sixties. He wrote Caithness Dialect poetry and was a recognised expert in this art form and the history of Caithness. He wielded the belt better than anyone that's ever belted me. A true giant of man.
    Yes, I thought it was same Donald Grant who wrote the book "Old Thurso". I didn't realise he wrote poetry in Caithness dialect, though. I'd love to read those poems; maybe I can find some via Google, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran
    It was Macdonald Square, and prior to that it was known as the Bleaching Green. The name was changed to Sir John's Square in 1893. When it was known as Macdonald Square, it was just an open space with no embellishment. Sir Tollemache gifted it in 1879, with the condition that the Town Council lay it out as a terraced garden, surrounded by a wall surmounted by an ornamental railing.
    Who's a clever girl then Sporran
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I wonder if anyone has any information on the Polish chap (I forget his hard-to-spell/ pronounce name) who painted the mural on Tollemache House? I'm sure it was Tollemache's sister that designed the piece, but not much is said of the painter. Granted the piece - plus its neighbour round the corner - looks like abstract test-design logos for British Airways in the 60s, but I reckon the colours (black, white, red) are what the arty types may call Deconstructionism. Surely a subtle irony given the offices on the other side of it.

Default Thurso History

The Beach= On 19th July 1899, a large school of whales wandered into Thurso bay and half dozen boats put out to round them up. After a six-hour struggle 104 whales were driven ashore and left to die by the receding tide. Provest Mitchell of Montrose, who had a personal interest in whales, heard of them and relieved the Town council of the problem of burying and removing the carcases before the stench became too overpowering.
    A regulation of 1751 warns us "that every person who takes stones out of the beach, except for streeting, shall pay Two pounds scots for each transgression".

In 1876 the Prince and Princess of Wales visited Thurso to open an Exhibition of Art and Industry. The procession route from the railway station was closed to carts from 10 am to 5 pm, and to carriages from 1 pm to 5 pm. The Prince in his address spoke of "the energy which it is well known exists in so high a degreee among the population of this district" and the highly gratified authorities gave Princes Street its present name to mark the occasion. Before that the part from Olrig Street to St Peter's Church was known as Forss Street, from the Church to Davidson's Lane was Sutherland Street and from there to the railway station was Ulbster Terrace.

Later, in 1893, the name of Caithness Street was changed. The Town Council sought to rename it Sir Tollemache Street but Sir Tollemache said he would prefer to have it named after his father, and so we now have Sir George's Street. Eventually, Sir Tollemache's own name appeared many years later, when it was given to the Atomic Energy Authority's building in the High Street, next to the Arcade.

Donald Grant wrote under "Castlegreen" . I once had to learn the dialect poem E' Scorraig which I think was one of his.

His speciality was delivering the happy news in report cards to pupils. If he didn't grip you by the hair it was by the ear and with each bad result it twisted by another point of the compass. E' lassagies hed nane o' at coorse treatment. Wi'd sometimes pit a dose of e' brylcream on wir heids afore e cerds came oot but 'at jest pit e mannie til yer lugs!

I can also testify that he could handle the belt but had a lot of respect for him. He was a keen fisher and once got a 5 pounder of Calder and I think he knew that I'd rather be on the river than in the school.

Default Thurso History

This was found in an old Caithness Courier c.1952

THURSO - STROMA SALT COD

Ths is New Year's Day and thousands will no doubt celebrate by sitting down to a dinner of turkey, goose or other bird of feather. But for my Hogmanay dinner, it will be a plate of Golden Wonders and a piece of glittering sald cod sent to me by a friend, a Thurso 'exile' now resident in Edinburgh. In an accompanying note with the coddie, she wrote: ''This is no' a Stroma coddie - it's a Thirsa coddie born an' bred in Thirsa Bay. Never even saw W.K.''

I am certain the coddie must have at some time or other glided to the water surrounding Stroma, and therefore, I seem to have been more fortunate that Herbert Sinclair '' on the fish line'' While the coddie is boiling at this moment, I recall Thurso Bay in all it's glory. I also recall my first visit to Thurso from Wick on a holiday with my old pal, Dan Willie Tait, when it cost 10 1/2d return. Dan Willie would, I feel sure, be busy today if he were here, supplying me with thirst-quenchers offer my tatties and Thurso sald coddie.

As a grace, I may quote Burns, adapted as follows :

''Fair fa' yer honest, sonsie face
    Great coddie o' the Thirsa race!''

AB

Default Thurso History

GRANNIE KIE

Div ye mind ae tea in a bowlie
    Yir grannie gave till ye
    Aft times ye geed till see her
    Till keep her company.

She hedna much till gie ye
    Ae fire wis affen low
    Boot id cheered her hert till see ye
    An' meyd ye sweer till go

She wis kinda quate an' silent
    Boot aye she'd gie a nod
    As if till say ''Ye'll make it child''
    Chist leave it all to God

An' ids only now A'm thinking
    If she seen ae times ahead
    An' kent ae rod, tho maybe hard
    There wis only wan we'd tread.

Isabel Salmon

Thumbs up Old Thurso

Are there any old people out there who remembers the prisoner of war camp that used to be between the Glebe and Burnside Robin

Quote Originally Posted by darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
    Are there any old people out there who remembers the prisoner of war camp that used to be between the Glebe and Burnside Robin
    Robin, it was not a prisoner of war camp, but a Transit Camp for troops heading to and coming from Orkney, but there was a Prisoner of War camp at Watten, one of my uncles was a guard there at around 1946

Cool Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Robin, it was not a prisoner of war camp, but a Transit Camp for troops heading to and coming from Orkney, but there was a Prisoner of War camp at Watten, one of my uncles was a guard there at around 1946
    Thanks for the info Golach,always thought of it as the prison camp,remember as a kid the germans working up in back of the Glebe,I caught my hand in a drain in Bayview Tre and later a german gave me a sail boat for the pain no kidding Robin

Default Prisoner of War camp at Watten

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Prisoner of War camp at Watten, one of my uncles was a guard there at around 1946

Well Golach - my dad also was a guard there in 1946 - in fact he married my mum in Watten Church in 1946. Last year somebody very kindly gave me a plan of the camp - it is too big for me to copy but I would willingly lend it to you if you don't already have a copy.

LB

I certainly remember the P O W Camp at Watten, and several times we went out there for the great concerts they put on.
    I also remember the Germen men coming to our doors in Wick selling leather bags, rope slippers and other things - all the children had rope slippers !
    Later, at the end of the war some of them were kept back to dismantle the
    'boxes' ---oops forgotten the name, around the cliffs. I remember them goose-stepping along the street.
    After the war one of the men returned to Caithness with his choir - to thank the people of Caithness for their kindness.
    I have a photo of the German men from a Groat cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
    Thanks for the info Golach,always thought of it as the prison camp,remember as a kid the germans working up in back of the Glebe,I caught my hand in a drain in Bayview Tre and later a german gave me a sail boat for the pain no kidding Robin
    My family moved to Perthshire in 1946, to a little place called Pitroddie, where 100yds from our farm cottage ( with no electricity or running water or inside toilets), there was German Prisoner of War camp with about 100 inmates. I was aged 6 then going on 7 and was the only child for a mile radius from the camp. As a result I was adopted by the "Prisoners" and I saw showers, flushing toilets, and Movies for the first time all be it they were in German. I at 7 could count up t0 20 in German, and say please and thank you. I spent ,many happy hours in that camp. I also had many many toys made by the Prisoners.....oh if I had known their worth at 8 years old.
    I spent so much time in the Camp that the Prisoners who all wore Patches on their Jackets and trousers, sewed a patch on my jacket, My Mum says I broke my heart when she took it off. I remember my folks playing cards by "Tillie" lamps with the Germans, with virually no English / German between them.

Default The Meadow Well

The Meadow Well at the top of Manson's Lane was for centuries Thurso's main water supply. There were other wells, of course, among them one in what is now the garden of the Station Hotel, one in the Mall, one at the Glebe, the Gilbank Well where the steps now descend at the west end of the Esplanade, and one on the north side of Grove Lane, but the Meadow Well was the most productive and best known. It had to meet heavy demands and in dry seasons its resources were severely taxed. In 1818 a new casing was put round it and a larger cistern was provided. In the dry season of 1842 the water level was so low and there was so much waste when receptacles were being filled that the burgh constable was instructed to lock the well door, pocket the key and allow access only when absolutely necessary. The summer of 1852 was again a very dry one and the level of the water fell to five and a half inches. It was necessary to issue stern public warnings against excessive use and waste of water.

Default Before Thurso Town Hall

Before Thurso Town Hall was built in 1871, the square in which it stands served as a market place. Farm produce was sold at the Cocky Stane, a flat stone set in the street on the east side of the square and probably the place referred to in old records as the Poultry Stand. At a similar stone on the west side, the Auld Fish Stane, the produce of the sea was sold. The Fish Stane now lies on the opposite side of the square. Here also stood the pillory or cuckstool, erected in 1698 by the Kirk Session "in the most public place in the town for the disgracing and affronting of swearers and takers of the name of the Lord in vain." It stood there until well into the second half of the 18th century and did not confine its attentions to swearers and blasphemers. The old Mercat Cross stood in the same area and beside it, on occasion, criminals were hanged on a temporary gibbet.

At Sporran's encouragement, I am writing to add the wee bit of trivia I have concerning Thurso History. The Thurso Golf Club was established in 1893. At the quiz on Sunday, acameron asked the question and I, totally out of thin air, picked the year 1893. I think that gleeber is still shaking his head. But it did qualify me to post on the org's history channel. So, the next time you are out there on that wind swept parkland, think of me and remember that the club has been around for 113 years.
    Last edited by canuck; 12-May-06 at 03:15.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    At Sporran's encouragement, I am writing to add the wee bit of trivia I have concerning Thurso History. The Thurso Golf Club was established in 1893. At the quiz on Sunday, acameron asked the question and I, totally out of thin air, picked the year 1893. I think that gleeber is still shaking his head. But it did qualify me to post on the org's history channel. So, the next time you are out there on those wind swept links, think of me and remember that the club has been around for 113 years.
    I believe acameron was the founding member, so I was told by some chiels from 'e Glebe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast