Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biting Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Allsorts View Post
    My son was bitten by a friend's dog while in her house. He had only just turned 1 and was leaning against the sofa at the other end of the room from the dog. The dog just suddenly run from one end to the other and bite him badly on the face. There was no food involved or anything it was totally unprovoked.

I thought my friend would have put her dog down, it was a horrendous bite that has left scaring on a young child. She didn't and when we went to the police to make a complaint they said they would put it down in case someone else complained about the same dog.

This dog did it again while a child was playing and the dog was being walked. I felt so guilty that I hadn't pushed more to get the dog put down. I honestly thought my friend would have put her dog down as i know I could never trust it again. I would certainly do it if my dog ever bite someone.
    It's awful isn't it how some people take biting so lightly (especially when it's their dog and somebody else's child involved). My friend's son had his ear almost ripped off by a labrador and nothing was ever done about it. It was totally unprovoked. The young lad was only 4 at the time and the dog came round sniffing him then nipped him on the hand. He started crying and then the dog lunged for him, pinning him to the ground and proceeded to maul his ear. He had such a grip and wouldn't let go. They kicked and kicked and eventually the dog released him. Poor lad ended up in Raigmore and it took weeks for his ear to heal and he's badly scarred. Being a boy it's much worse too - if it was a girl she could have long hair to cover the ear. Still despite this horrific attack the family say the dog has never done anything like this before and are confident he never will - hence they refuse to have it put down!!! There's something not right when you'd rather keep an animal alive as opposed to a human!!

Our next door neighbours got a Staffie puppy about six months ago and it was the cutest little thing - I used to pat it over the wall. It gets the run of the garden but now that it's a good bit bigger I won't touch it because its freindly nips have turned into full on bites.

My other neighbour has been bitten by it and sometimes I see it out running about in the street - I've gone to the neighbours door but they don't seem that bothered.

Just the other day their granddaughter was out in the garden playing with it, she must be about five years old, and she came over and showed me marks on her hand and her leg. I asked her what they were and she told me the dog had bitten her. I didn't know whether or not to believe it because they didn't really look like bite marks - until two minutes later she started kicking the dog for no reason...

I told her that was a bad thing to do and her reply was "everyone kicks her"... It's no wonder the blooming dog bites then!
    Behold the turtle - he only ever gets anywhere by sticking his neck out...

Default Cruelty

If anyone has any concerns about the welfare of any animal in Caithness or Sutherland then please let the Scottish SPCA know about it. Tel:- 01847861386. They cannot do anything about it if they are not told about it. Of course you can remain anonymous and everything is treated in the strictest of confidence. If you dont want to leave the details at the local Centre then use the the scottish spca animal helpline:- Tel:- 03000 999 999. Thank you

I spoke to Anne the dog warden yesterday, she was so helpful said the dog should be muzzeled when out. this dog bit a lady last friday and she required hospital treatment, and a bin man, and a paper boy - and thats the only the ones i have heard of. i called the police back- spoke to a sargent who was also more helpful and he looking into the dogs history, so hopefully something might happen.
    as for my daughter, she is fine but I dont think she will ever go near a staffy again which is a shame as not all staffies are like this, all dogs have the ability to bit but as someone has already said its the owners not the dogs!
    jac

Quote Originally Posted by jac1791 View Post
    I spoke to Anne the dog warden yesterday, she was so helpful said the dog should be muzzeled when out. this dog bit a lady last friday and she required hospital treatment, and a bin man, and a paper boy - and thats the only the ones i have heard of. i called the police back- spoke to a sargent who was also more helpful and he looking into the dogs history, so hopefully something might happen.
    as for my daughter, she is fine but I dont think she will ever go near a staffy again which is a shame as not all staffies are like this, all dogs have the ability to bit but as someone has already said its the owners not the dogs!
    Thats good news that your complaint is being taken seriously.
    Like you I beleive its the owners fault so excepted blame when my dog bit someone.
    In my case it may have been accidental but with young children sometimes you arent given a second chance.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

My first reaction to this kind of thread is always that it's the owner that is a threat, not the dog. However that kind of opinion does not help in these kinds of cases - it's the dog that did the damage and as such, human nature demands that the dog is punished for this behaviour.
    Unfortunately this kind of thing will continue to happen worldwide until the real threats are eradicated and that threat is ignorant dog owners who view owning a dog as a right not a privilege.

I have had 2 dogs pts due to temperment problems that meant they could not be trusted. That was a fair few years ago and only now can I see that the incidents that led me to take that action were entirely my fault as the owner. I caused the incidents to occur by not understanding a dogs nature and understanding what was required from me to fulfil their needs as animals. I've learnt from that and never ever will I find myself in that same position.

It's easy for me to say that you should take further action, you should press charges, you should speak to the dog warden etc etc, but I'm not the one that has to deal with the backlash from that.

What makes me so mad is that it is irresponsible owners like this that give certain breeds and dogs in general their bad names. There are some pwople who just should not be allowed to own dogs of any breed let alone a Staffie.
    I've owned a Staffie that was given to us because it was 'nasty' and had killed the neighbours poodle. For the time we had him he was a different dog, the soppiest, sweetest thing you could imagine.
    The problem is that there are some gladitorial type dogs that are one step away from becoming what they are bred to do and should only be owned by knowledgable people who understand the animal, not just the dog or the breed.

I sincerely hope that your daughter has not been scarred for life by this traumatic event and I hope that you get some kind of outcome that is acceptable to both your daughter and yourself.
    We should all petition for dog ownership (especially of certain demanding breeds) to be licenced. Dog ownership should be taken much more seriously and the punishment for this kind of incident should be geared more toward the owner. A simple 6 month ban is not enough and is no deterrant.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by AfternoonDelight View Post
    Our next door neighbours got a Staffie puppy about six months ago and it was the cutest little thing - I used to pat it over the wall. It gets the run of the garden but now that it's a good bit bigger I won't touch it because its freindly nips have turned into full on bites.

My other neighbour has been bitten by it and sometimes I see it out running about in the street - I've gone to the neighbours door but they don't seem that bothered.

Just the other day their granddaughter was out in the garden playing with it, she must be about five years old, and she came over and showed me marks on her hand and her leg. I asked her what they were and she told me the dog had bitten her. I didn't know whether or not to believe it because they didn't really look like bite marks - until two minutes later she started kicking the dog for no reason...

I told her that was a bad thing to do and her reply was "everyone kicks her"... It's no wonder the blooming dog bites then!

My god, that's disgusting behavior. And that behaviour is what that child is going to grow up 'knowing' and believing is right and correct.
    That dog will retaliate badly one day. If it cannot flee it will fight and the poor thing will then be destined for the needle.

I beg you to report this. Do it anonymously if you need to but please please do something.
    We cannot complain of these dog bite incidents if we do not do everything we can to prevent them happening in the first place.
    I know you would then have to live next door to these people but they have to know that it is not right and not acceptable to treat any animal that way.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Well Anne the dog warden certainly isn't helpful in my eyes and neither are the police. It all depends on whether they like you or not and they make it personal when it shouldn't be - some people have a dog that bites children and they get them given back to them.
    Then their is my dog. I went away for the weekend and left my dog, a greyhound, in the care of a friend. The dog had just given birth to 8 puppies. The person I left the dog with let her out for a pee and the gate was open and she apparently bit a man on the hand.
    Next thing I am told the police and dog warden have taken my dog and puppies away and didn't even let anyone talk to them about the situation, they were all spoken to like dirt and treated like dirt aswell.
    I have telephoned the police umpteen times to ask about my pets and when will I get them back and what is going to happen - been told I'd get a call back - NOTHING.
    The dog has never ever done this before and is always friendly and well-behaved and in my care I have let her run off the lead loads of times and she was perfect. They are making out she is a savage dog and she isn't. She had just had her first litter of pups and it is ANIMAL INSTINCT to protect their young when feeling a threat.
    But no, they aren't even taking into account she has had puppies and that it is out of character. They just want to punish me and take my animals away from me. But I will be getting her back and the people who were waiting to get one of the puppies as a pet will get their puppy.
    My solicitor told me they have no right keeping them away from me, it has been 3 weeks now, and since the dog was kept in care of a friend for the weekend, was not my fault she bit. If they want me to muzzle her I will, but if I don't get them back I will sue them as I have been told I am in my rights to do so.
    The people who phoned the police and dog warden should've taken into account the dog had just had a litter of pups instead of implying she is a dangerous dog because they are just being cruel and spiteful.

It is the owners! If my dog had bitten anyone I would have muzzled it from then on as well as being over the top concerned about whoever it had bitten. My daughter has a cross staffie which was lovely with people but agressive with other dogs. She did muzzle her for that reason. I'm assuming that it is the children of the owners who are threatening your daughter. shows complete lack of responsibility on the owners part towards their pet and their children!
    Some people shouldn't be allowed to have dogs, let alone children!
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by emc246 View Post
    Well Anne the dog warden certainly isn't helpful in my eyes and neither are the police. It all depends on whether they like you or not and they make it personal when it shouldn't be - some people have a dog that bites children and they get them given back to them.
    Then their is my dog. I went away for the weekend and left my dog, a greyhound, in the care of a friend. The dog had just given birth to 8 puppies. The person I left the dog with let her out for a pee and the gate was open and she apparently bit a man on the hand.
    Next thing I am told the police and dog warden have taken my dog and puppies away and didn't even let anyone talk to them about the situation, they were all spoken to like dirt and treated like dirt aswell.
    I have telephoned the police umpteen times to ask about my pets and when will I get them back and what is going to happen - been told I'd get a call back - NOTHING.
    The dog has never ever done this before and is always friendly and well-behaved and in my care I have let her run off the lead loads of times and she was perfect. They are making out she is a savage dog and she isn't. She had just had her first litter of pups and it is ANIMAL INSTINCT to protect their young when feeling a threat.
    But no, they aren't even taking into account she has had puppies and that it is out of character. They just want to punish me and take my animals away from me. But I will be getting her back and the people who were waiting to get one of the puppies as a pet will get their puppy.
    My solicitor told me they have no right keeping them away from me, it has been 3 weeks now, and since the dog was kept in care of a friend for the weekend, was not my fault she bit. If they want me to muzzle her I will, but if I don't get them back I will sue them as I have been told I am in my rights to do so.
    The people who phoned the police and dog warden should've taken into account the dog had just had a litter of pups instead of implying she is a dangerous dog because they are just being cruel and spiteful.
    Everything you say makes me judge you as an irresposible owner.

It is YOUR dog, not your friends, therefore it is YOUR responsibilty. If you are not prepared to face up to that simple fact then you should not have a dog.

I hope they don't let you have the dog back.

The people that phoned the dog warden and police should not have taken into account that the bitch had just whelped, just the simple undisputable fact that the dog had bitten someone.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

How dare you judge me that way.
    I am not an irresponsible dog owner I have kept dogs all my life and never had any problems.
    I had to go away for the weekend due to personal reasons, so left the dog and pups with a friend who let her out when she bit, when I got back I got told what had gone on.
    I have called the police and told them it is MY DOG and I want to take full responsiblity for the dog but they have ignored me and have failed to contact me in regard to the situation.
    They are wanting to blame the friend who was in control of the dog at the time even though I told them she is mine and am willing to be charged for what happened as I want her back.
    She is part of the family and I am heartbroken what has happened, I have not had an correspondence from the police or the dog warden and what I wrote in my last post about it being the friends fault - that is what the police told the friend, not what I am saying.
    Of course it matters she just had puppies, that is WHY SHE BIT. Otherwise she would NOT behave that way.
    So don't tell me I shouldn't get my dog back when I am willing to muzzle the dog and I have never had this problem before even though I have kept dogs all my life. Even the kennels told me she is a lovely, kind dog so why shouldn't I get her back?
    You can't judge me when you don't know me personally and I am telling you now I am a great dog owner and animal lover and I know how to control a dog aswell. I do not expect anyone but myself to get in trouble for the dog biting, but I know it was a one off and out of character occurence and everyone agrees with me it is animal instinct for a dog who has had pups as they are protecting their young. She is not aggresive at all.
    Last edited by emc246; 18-Sep-09 at 17:00. Reason: typos

As usual there is good advice on this thread. I suggest you read and act accordingly.

the girls makeing threats against my daughter is not family of the owner - just a neighbour, I have phoned the police regarding the threats and told my daughter to report anything they say to her.
    jac

the girls makeing threats against my daughter is not family of the owner - just a neighbour, I have phoned the police regarding the threats and told my daughter to report anything they say to her.

Good,dont let the bully's win.It's sad that you have to take those steps to protect your daughter when it's the dog owner who is at fault here!

Quote Originally Posted by emc246 View Post
    How dare you judge me that way.
    I am not an irresponsible dog owner I have kept dogs all my life and never had any problems.
    I had to go away for the weekend due to personal reasons, so left the dog and pups with a friend who let her out when she bit, when I got back I got told what had gone on.
    I have called the police and told them it is MY DOG and I want to take full responsiblity for the dog but they have ignored me and have failed to contact me in regard to the situation.
    They are wanting to blame the friend who was in control of the dog at the time even though I told them she is mine and am willing to be charged for what happened as I want her back.
    She is part of the family and I am heartbroken what has happened, I have not had an correspondence from the police or the dog warden and what I wrote in my last post about it being the friends fault - that is what the police told the friend, not what I am saying.
    Of course it matters she just had puppies, that is WHY SHE BIT. Otherwise she would NOT behave that way.
    So don't tell me I shouldn't get my dog back when I am willing to muzzle the dog and I have never had this problem before even though I have kept dogs all my life. Even the kennels told me she is a lovely, kind dog so why shouldn't I get her back?
    You can't judge me when you don't know me personally and I am telling you now I am a great dog owner and animal lover and I know how to control a dog aswell. I do not expect anyone but myself to get in trouble for the dog biting, but I know it was a one off and out of character occurence and everyone agrees with me it is animal instinct for a dog who has had pups as they are protecting their young. She is not aggresive at all.

But you haven't said that the man she bit was in any way a threat to her or the pups. What you have said is that the gate was open and she bit a man - we can only assume that she left your property and bit an innocent person, that does not sound like a bitch protecting her pups. Personally I would say it had as much to do with your absence as anything else and the lack of a 'pack leader'.(not that I blame you for having to go away - we all have to do that from time to time).
    I have bred Great Danes and I've helped my friend with her Wolfhound pups and Basset pups and can honestly say that never have I known the bitch to bite anyone let alone leave the property and bite.

You say you are willing to take responsibility for this act but is seems that this is just lip service on your part as you have already stated that it wasn't your fault because A) you weren't looking after the bitch at the time and B) the bitch bit because she'd had a litter.
    Do not fool yourself into believing that that is the reason she bit someone. From what I can gather from your post the person she bit posed no threat. Also do not fool yourself into believing that she will not do it again - all dogs are capable of biting if the circumstances dictate it.
    One "out of character" moment can lead to many more similar moments if excuses are made.

IMO you do not sound like a bad owner, please do not think I do, however you have to accept full responsibility and not just say it.
    You need to take steps to make sure this doesn't happen again and do not hide behind the 'whelping' curtain.
    I do hope you get your dog back, I don't know the laws of what is reasonable in these situations but I would like to think that the Police and whoever now has your dog believe they are doing the correct thing. That doesn't help you I know, the loss of a loved pet is traumatic for anyone and I think it's cruel for anyone to suggest that you shouldn't get her back.

But you have to understand that from the outside looking in the picture is slightly different from the one you see yourself. At the end of the day you have said nothing that would suggest that this was a provoked attack - and that is what I would find worrying.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by porshiepoo; 19-Sep-09 at 14:59.

sorry, but if the owner is prepared to have the dog muzzled, then where's the harm in letting her have her back? they say they don't want to have a healthy dog put down, and emc246 sounds very resposible to me. don't know what the problem is here. It's the owners who refuse to have their dog muzzled despite the animal having bitten someone who should not get the dog back. It has to be remembered that all dogs are basically wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by katarina View Post
    It has to be remembered that all dogs are basically wolves.
    Too many people forget where our domesticated dogs came from in the first place....

Quote Originally Posted by katarina View Post
    sorry, but if the owner is prepared to have the dog muzzled, then where's the harm in letting her have her back? they say they don't want to have a healthy dog put down, and emc246 sounds very resposible to me. don't know what the problem is here. It's the owners who refuse to have their dog muzzled despite the animal having bitten someone who should not get the dog back. It has to be remembered that all dogs are basically wolves.
    Exactly!
    But just because a dog is muzzled in public does not mean it is no longer a threat. If the dog managed to get out the house without a muzzle again for whatever reason what would the outcome be? Would it bite again??
    Muzzling deals with the symptoms not the cause. Unfortunately average Joe bloggs dog owner is not knowledgeable enough to deal with the underlying cause.
    Then there are those owners that simply do not want to believe that their lovely, soft poochy is capable of such horrors without having a damn good reason for doing so and that is where alot of the repeat offences occur.
    The problem has to be dealt with from the very first offence so that there is never a repeat of it again, if the owner cannot accept that then they need to do what is best for the dog and find someone who can.

In the case of emc246, the police etc have to be certain that it won't happen again before they release the dog back to her. Imagine the uproar if they release the dog and she bites again, but this time she bites a child.
    The police would be hung, drawn and quatered.
    It's not an easy situation for any party involved.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Exactly!
    But just because a dog is muzzled in public does not mean it is no longer a threat. If the dog managed to get out the house without a muzzle again for whatever reason what would the outcome be? Would it bite again??
    Many dogs bite when they are on the lead for various reasons but wouldn't bite off the lead for obvious reasons!

Muzzling a dog is a last resort if the underlying problem can't be solved. You can't teach a dog not to protect their young, so muzzling in public during that time is a temporary but viable solution.

Dogs have instincts and they sometimes can't be taught not to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Exactly!
    In the case of emc246, the police etc have to be certain that it won't happen again before they release the dog back to her. Imagine the uproar if they release the dog and she bites again, but this time she bites a child.
    The police would be hung, drawn and quatered.
    It's not an easy situation for any party involved.
    I understand what you are saying, but to take the dog from some one like emc246, and do nothing about the dog that bit jac9719's daughter, which seems to have bitten before, seems crazy to me.
    I do understand that a muzzle does not solve the underlying problem, but it does protect the innocent.
    Having puppies does make a dog very protective. i was brought up on a farm and we all knew from an early age not to go near any bitch who had just had a litter, no matter how docile they had been before.
    Also an aquantance of mine was walking her pet poodle. Two staffies that were with their owner leapt on the poodle and severely injured it . the owners were not concerned, and blamed the poodle.
    She went to the police who said there was nothing they could do about it. She asked if they could at least get the staffie owners to cough up for the vet's bill, to be told, 'You'll be lucky to get anything out of that crowd!'
    what if it's a kid next time? By the way, the poodle survived.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast