Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: No tech for first years in WHS

Ah zeppilynne, a few short pages ago you were hanging on redeye's every word. And now you are insulting and off-hand to the person.

You must surely realise that no-one on these boards gives you any credit for integrity or even common sense. You either have some kind of pathological pick against Wick High or you really are demonstrating the most blatant troll-like behaviour we have seen for a long time.

Either debate things sensibly, rationally and from an informed position or please return underground!

There's a good chap now..... leave this place to the grown-ups!

Pip! Pip!

Yes, please return to your rightful position under the bridge.

A troll he may be but he has a point. Bill Gates might have managed to be the main player in developing Windows (some would say the basic idea was robbed from Apple) , but without the (IBM) guys who developed the PC protocol in the first place he would be just another geek.
    Saying that all kids can develop a career based on maths is utter tripe. That's the kind of idiot concept that leads us to the myth (shortly, I suspect, to explode spectacularly) that a degree = success in life.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    SNIP
    Saying that all kids can develop a career based on maths is utter tripe. That's the kind of idiot concept that leads us to the myth (shortly, I suspect, to explode spectacularly) that a degree = success in life.
    I don't think anyone actually said that "all kids could have a career based on maths."

Anyways, we have strolled somewhat and I feel that zeppellin should now rejoin the thread and give us his wisdom.

I believe that your school issued a statement explaining the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefrog View Post
    Bill Gates, the richest man in the world. Would tech have helped him build Microsoft? No. His maths let him write some great programs.
    Depends on whether (a) he actually wrote the programs (b) they're 'great' programs (c) a bullying dominating entity like Microsoft is actually a paragon of business ethics worth holding up. If BG hadn't spent so much time doing maths and had developed some social skills, he probably wouldn't have ended up such a numpty.
    Stephen Hawking, incredibly intelligent and inspirational person. Tech didnt help him either, maths let him create some amazing theories.
    He didn't have a lot of choice did he? Anyway, was maths the key ingredient in the design of his wheelchair and speaking device? Without those, the prof wouldn't have got far would he?
    Steve Jobs, Apple co-founder: Again, maths helped him popularise the personal computer.
    Personal Computer? I think not! And ask yourself, could Jobs wire a plug or repair a boiler?
    Careful, froggy, you might get branded a troll yerself!

Exclamation

..."He didn't have a lot of choice did he? Anyway, was maths the key ingredient in the design of his wheelchair and speaking device? Without those, the prof wouldn't have got far would he?"...

Tubbie, I think that this is one of the most callous statements I've ever seen in this Forum.

He didn't need either to produce his theories!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Callous? Apologies for offending you AT. I doubt that the prof would be offended, because (a) he's shown he has a well-developed sense of humour and (b) I'm sure he's aware that without the application of technology he would not have been able to articulate his theories nor to attend the places where he developed them.
    How callous is it, however, to remove the fundamental grasp of technology introduced & nurtured in high school, that some of the WHS kids will depend on for a living.
    Wickers can make do without a grand unified theory, Prof Hawkings can't make do without folk to fix his boiler, charge his batteries and install his sky box, can he? It takes 400 folk with their feet on the ground (and a rudimentary grasp of maths) to keep each academic's head in the stars.
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 21-Sep-09 at 11:32. Reason: Removal of callouses

Saying that all kids can develop a career based on maths is utter tripe.
    I didn't say that. I dont agree with that. As I said, tech wouldn't work without maths, and there's a reason why maths is compulsory at standard grade and tech isn't.

Default My final word on the original subject.

To get back to the point of this thread, I only tried to 'flag up' an issue that was causing me, (and therefore any other concerned parent) a great deal of concern. You lot decided that I had a 'pick' with WHS and that I was 'trolling.' How pathetic can you lot get? Rather than show support for the very people who really need it and can't make decisions for themselves, namely twelve year old children, you decided to hide behind the sofa and blame everyone, government, councillors and me, rather than the only people who could have changed their ridiculous decision and found another solution. You all must be so proud of yourselves. However, the decision has been made and parents informed, albeit belatedly. There is only one loser in all of this, first year pupils in WHS and they will suffer in future years for this, mark my words. A child's education is a precious thing and it doesn't take much to ruin it. The 'high flyers' will overcome this set back, but they are in the minority here, the rest will find it difficult to 'connect' properlyand therefore their grades will suffer in three, four or five years. This is where Thurso High pupils will gain an advantage when chasing jobs. Before anyone jumps in, I have nothing against Thurso High School, all our WHS pupil's deserve is a chance to compete on a level playing field, and this they will not. I may have 'ruffled a few feathers' and I make no apology for that, but my conscience is clear, is yours?

See, now why couldn't you make polite posts like that before instead of lowering to personal attacks and trolling? Even if it is a bit crap.
    Last edited by redeyedtreefrog; 21-Sep-09 at 19:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    Ding Ding ............. time out .......step back from the keyboards............ deep breath in then out.........................

From the way this thread is going the only answer is going to be a padlock and the key thrown away by the MODs.
    Have you been reading the nonsense these two have been spouting? I tried to have my final say in a calm and thought provoking way and they couldn't resist. They will not win, losers never do.

Several posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep your posts clear of personal insults. Thank you.

Goodness! I leave you alone for 5 minutes and you have a riot! It's worse than a school playground in here sometimes... Extra maths homework, all of you!

Goodness! I leave you alone for 5 minutes and you have a riot! It's worse than a school playground in here sometimes... Extra maths homework, all of you!
    Oh dear I see a big balloon has been deflated again too. Well you do the crime, you do the time unfortunately.

Just want to say sorry for my comments on this thread, I descended to personal insults, but obviously not as bad as Zeppellin. The debate got heated and I got carried away. For that, I apologise.

My apologies if I offended anyone.

I really didn't think I descended into personal insults but clearly redeyedtreefrog and myself must have pressed some hidden buttons!

Mea culpa!

Smile Poetry Control is Broken

Another thread explodes in flames
    It's getting far from jolly
    There's folk on here that stir it up
    And act all just plain trolly

The point of thread was fair enough
    But why don't parents go
    To meetings at the school in Wick
    Then 'bout problems they'd know

However, argument on tech
    Departing from timetable
    Could alter Wick kids job prospects
    That much is truth not fable

A plumber needs some maths it's true
    And wash-machine repair
    Requires ability to count
    To say that much is fair

But what will happen if each child
    Goes off to education
    And gets degree, then wants fine job
    Result? Rampant inflation

And then we can't get bloke to fix
    The boiler or the car
    Because all bairns have ended up
    Too qualified by far

So please in children's education
    Balance is required
    Before you call 'more maths for all'
    Keep techy types inspired

Red Frog, welcome unto the org
    You've been here just short while
    Pantsman, stay calm, breathe deep and pause
    I feel I know your style

I also must apologise
    Sincerely hang my head
    Because I do not wish to go
    Where Zeppellin has Led!
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 22-Sep-09 at 19:55. Reason: Finally got into stanzas!!

Tubthumper, the unofficial Org laureate!

Tubthumper, truly a wordsmith of the first magnitude, you are. Yes, hmmm.

Zeppelin - Thurso High second years don't get home ec - so they will be disadvantaged against Wick High Schoolers who do get home ec when they go for interviews - so no level playing field here. WHS is not unique in not offering subjects to pupils due to budget problems and lack of teachers in that subject - it goes on everywhere!

Rainbow, been put on the naughty step, zeppellin has. He still visits though I expect. Yes, hmmm

Pip! Pip!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567