Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Radio Activity in Household Dust.

Cool Radio Activity in Household Dust.

Interesting item just released by SEPA, http://www.sepa.org.uk/publications/index.htm#technical
    Technical Paper : Dounreay Household Dust Report.
    a report from 1994 which was never finalised, into Radio Activity in Household dust in Thurso. Something that I would never have considered, when visiting my relations homes, as they all worked in Dounreay.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned resident
    Interesting item just released by SEPA, http://www.sepa.org.uk/publications/index.htm#technical
    Technical Paper : Dounreay Household Dust Report.
    a report from 1994 which was never finalised, into Radio Activity in Household dust in Thurso. Something that I would never have considered, when visiting my relations homes, as they all worked in Dounreay.
    Now there's a thought. I have often wondered at the ammount of stuff taken out of Dounreay by less than honest employees. I would not be surprised if Thurso is rotten with the dreaded radioactivety.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Default Security was intense

I don't know how much leakage Dounreay will ever own up to; I don't think they had too many problems - my father worked there many years ago and he said that their systems were very good. I know that the site itself was immensely secure - went on a sons-with-fathers day once. Everyone had to wear radiation badges and was geigered as they left each section. I know that I found the big lead pyramids very attractive and lifted one to see how heavy it was. The geiger went berserk when they checked me out later - well, at 13 I didn't know that it was part of the shielding!
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."