Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long can a cough go on?

Default How long can a cough go on?

I have had this cough now for 7 weeks... is this normal or should I be worried?
    The doctor gave me anti-biotics in week 3 but the didn'd appear to work...
    Went back and was given some nasel spray/inhaler, still no joy...
    Am I alone or are there more with similar symtoms out there...
    Seem to have a continuing headache to, but I think that may because of lack of sleep and the coughing!

Angel...

Go back to your GP, explain further how you feel. Apart from DOCTOR, no-one on here is qualified to give medical advice.

Angel if its any consolation my sister had this bug and it left her with the cough for months.

I would agree with Jox pop back to your GP even if it is just for reassurance.

Default Cough

My pal had this & the cough went on & on but won't hurt to go back to the Doc just to be on the safe side, maybe they will do a chest xray just to check there is no chest infection etc. Hope your better soon

I started coughing 20 years ago and still do...........non smoker too...........just got flu.
    Go back to ur dr. ...........best bet.Hope it goes soon.

I'm into my 17th day with it, i also had a fever along with it for 3 days, the fever has passed, but the cough rages on, i had anti-biotics last week, but this is a persistant brute of a cough, i'm mildly asthmatic as well, and during the night i have been waking up with a coughing fit and completely unable to breathe, it's been pretty damn scary, so this morning it was back to the Doc, this time around i got a five day heavy doze of steroids to take, hopefully that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I'm into my 17th day with it, i also had a fever along with it for 3 days, the fever has passed, but the cough rages on, i had anti-biotics last week, but this is a persistant brute of a cough, i'm mildly asthmatic as well, and during the night i have been waking up with a coughing fit and completely unable to breathe, it's been pretty damn scary, so this morning it was back to the Doc, this time around i got a five day heavy doze of steroids to take, hopefully that will work.
    Sounds very scary. Hope this gets you hale and harty again.

Default coughing

Well with the advent of the internet thought we are all now fully signed up google doctors??? Whether it a sniffle or a rash we instantly google it and give ourselves either the heebie jeebies and start to plan our own funeral or go see our doc with their most hated start to a consultation " I have this whatever and looked up on google and I think I need X Y or Z"
    Truly if this cough bothers you go and see the Doctor again if the steroids don't take effect, tho they are fab at the wondercure for suchlikes!
    Last edited by Kathy@watten; 14-Sep-09 at 23:02. Reason: incompleted

Hey you know what they say it's not the cough that carries you off.......its the coffin they carry you off in

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    Sounds very scary. Hope this gets you hale and harty again.
    It is indeed, and 'breathing difficulty' is amplified when the panic sets in, it's bloody scary when your coughing but can't get air back in your lungs, even for the 30 secs it lasts for, and because it starts so quickly it's damn near impossible to take the inhaler to ease it off.

Default cough

Gizmo, I've been exactly the same - like you mildly asthmatic. Got a fright one morning when I gave a big cough, then couldn't get breath back in!!!! Got steroids from doc too, but did not help. Doc then suggested Sudafed, took two doses yesterday and it seems to be easing things. Still woke coughing during the night, but not to the choking stage like it has been for the last 2 weeks. Do please seek your own Docs advice before taking Sudafed as it may not agree with you for some reason.... Hope you are all feeling better soon!

Default Cough

I was surprised to hear from colleagues down South that they were diagnosed with Swine flu and all they had was a flu which left them with a persistent cough and sore heads! I had the same thing but was never checked for swine flu! Still have a cough!

Just when going to bed try blending equal quantities of butter and sugar to a cream. Make the mixture into tea spoon sized blobs and let one disolve slowly. This should keep you cough free long enough to get a good nights sleep. It is an old victorian remedy for whooping cough and has worked for lots of folk I have recommended it to. Sounds awful, but anything that tastes awful must be doing some good.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

I've had this for two weeks now

How long can a cough go on? Until you're dead.

I'm afraid that I wouldn't take any chances with stuff like this. I had a virus - just the sort where you go to bed and take Paracetamol etc.

I too couldn't shake it off. I ended up in Raigmore Hospital after they discovered the virus had attacked the AV node in my heart and basicaly destroyed it. Ended up with three lots of surgery and a cardiac pacemaker.

It taught me that you can never be too careful when it comes to your health.

You must go back to your GP.

Unhappy

Well, this heavy doze of steroids is having sod all effect on my cough, the only thing it has done has given me the appetite of a pack of lions, i could eat a scabby gazelle...or 3

I thought I was the only one. Yeah had the flu and that a few weeks ago and that cleared up without a problem except for this damn cough. Been driving me up the wall. Especially during the night. Can be hard catching my breath with it sometimes.
    Bit of a strange flu if it disappears and only leaves a pain in the ass cough.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Well, this heavy doze of steroids is having sod all effect on my cough, the only thing it has done has given me the appetite of a pack of lions, i could eat a scabby gazelle...or 3
    Ken fine what you mean Gizmo, I was exactly the same. Totally against my normal regime!
    Funny thing was, the second time around it didn't have the same effect at all! Weird.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Have you tried rubbing Vick (other products are available!) on your feet and then wearing socks at night? I know it sounds crazy but some people do say that it works...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast