Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caithness 1925, Herbert Sinclair

Default Caithness 1925, Herbert Sinclair

I have recently bought this book by Herbert Sinclair and wondered if anyone knew anything about it. It is an original copy, I just wondered if it was rare?

Default Herbert Sinclair

Hi dblonde,

It's no longer in print, so it is rare indeed - lucky you.

Herbert Sinclair was a well loved writer and wrote many articles for the Caithness Courier around 1950. He has written a much loved book Over the Ord and another called Caithness Your Home ( 1930ish)
    Although he left Caithness, he visited often and wrote beautifully about the people and the landscape.

Enjoy your book, and do share some of it with the rest of us.

Trinkie

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Hi dblonde,

It's no longer in print, so it is rare indeed - lucky you.

Herbert Sinclair was a well loved writer and wrote many articles for the Caithness Courier around 1950. He has written a much loved book Over the Ord and another called Caithness Your Home ( 1930ish)
    Although he left Caithness, he visited often and wrote beautifully about the people and the landscape.

Enjoy your book, and do share some of it with the rest of us.

Trinkie
    I have the great delight of having a copy of both books and honestly never considered them to be anything but originals - and it's nice to hear they may be worth something. I used a quote from 'Over the Ord' on a recent thread "The oldest inhabitants? - the Macphees."

Let's compare notes on the books.
    Over the Ord is 8 3/4" x 11" and has a green cover.
    Made and printed by King & Jarrett, Ltd., 67, Hopton Street, London, S.E.1
    Published by Herbert Sinclair, 13, St. George Street, Hanover Square, London, W.1
    The book is 108 pages long.

Caithness Your Home is 8 1/2" x 12 3/8" and has a light brown cover. At bottom right hand corner of the front cover there is a bird flying in front of the sun.
    The opening page has three paragraphs on the title subject, by Herbert Sinclair, dated London, November, 1930.
    The book contains what is now a loose sheet, but may have been glued (facing page 2) in place. This sheet is 8" x 11" and is (a reproduction of) a handwritten copy of "E Wallie 'side 'e School" signed by John Horne "For my friend, Herbert Sinclair."
    The book has 60 pages, the last one being photographs of the book's contributers, excluding "The photographers, "Bill" Johnson and myself, who have never been "taken" !"
    Last edited by David Banks; 14-Sep-09 at 20:56. Reason: Added "front" before "cover."

Thanks for your info Trinkie and David, David I will take a photo of it and post it later for you to see.

Default Herbert Sinclair

My book has been covered in bonnie paper, but I think the original cover is green fabric. There are 108 pages and the measurements are as you mention !
    Did you say you were one of the photographers ? Good work, I love this book.

Trinkie

Talking

Trinkie,
    The 'myself' in the book is Herbert Sinclair - David Banks is too ould to have been there.

I have originals of Sinclair's three books Caithness 1925-26, Caithness Your Home, and Over the Ord. These books make maybe £40 at local auctions when they come up, the 1925-26 probably more cos it's rarer. Saying that the auction at Quoybrae gets some crazy prices depending on who wants what !.
    David Bank's 'Caithness Your Home' with the handwritten copy poem is unusual - I have had 3 or 4 copies of this one and never came across any with that addition.
    North of Scotland Newspapers (e Groat) ran a reprint of Over the Ord & Caithness Your Home (in one volume) in 1994, there are a few copies of that one around the County.

Just an aside, looking at Page 29 of Caithness 1925-26 there is a photo of the North of Scotland Bank in Week. A previous owner of the book has written above it "Now Woolworths". Maybe I should add "Woolworths No More - 2009"

Default Herbert Sinclair

Thank you Davie, I can see that now !

I bet there will be many changes in Wick since the book was written - good idea to keep it updated!
    I'd love to have the others books, but it looks like the price is prohibitive ! Ach weel, I have a good collection of Caithness writing, poems etc, so I musn't grumble.

Regards
    Trinkie

Smile

Trinkie,

I think all these books are in the Wick Library (Reference Section) - you can look but not take away. I was in there doing some research a few years ago and they had a serious collection of 'Caithness' books - its a great place to spend a few hours especially in the winter.
    There is a name for that part of the library, I think called after whoever gave them the original collection but I can not remember what it is.

Default Herbert Sinclair

Oh Davie - how I wish I could ! But I am a long way from Wick !
    Perhaps one day when I am up there I'll spend some time looking through their Caithness books. In the meantime keep your eye out for any bargains for me.....
    Trinkie

Over The Ord early editions have a Red Cover

Quote Originally Posted by davie View Post
    Trinkie,
    The 'myself' in the book is Herbert Sinclair - David Banks is too ould to have been there.
    Thanks Davie, I needed that -- to put my grey hair in perspective!

Do you what happened to Herbert Sinclair or when he died?