Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Existential Moment.....Of the WRONG kind!

Default Existential Moment.....Of the WRONG kind!

I started this job 8 years ago, and in that time, I wrote all the procedures and programmes for ISO 9000, and AS 9100 aerospace specifications. Then, I ran them and modified and changed through all the audits etc. that came my way.
    I was in at work on Saturday, and noticed the files had not been backed up for a while. Being a Nervous Nellie about all that data, I bought a 4 Gigabyte memory stick at lunchtime, and figured I'd save the most critical data....just in case, you know...Well, to cut a long story short, that damned stick took all 8 years worth of work, and didn't even hiccup!!
    Man, it sorta leaves you feeling rather inadequate to know that all that work fits on one tiny wee drive!
    Epiphany, that's what it was!
    Anyone ever run into the same kind of thing?

Default Memory Stick

It does make your mind boggle when you open a file of many hundreds of photos off one little device.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

I am often amazed at what fits in to what
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Quote Originally Posted by arana negra View Post
    I am often amazed at what fits in to what
    Lol. Do explain.

Och ah sorts really, the things already mentioned, some bums in jeans jings they must be welded on, how many matches you can get in box, how many folk in a phone box, ballons in a dump truck, how did they get that bottle in the jar and how did that pig get in the poke ???
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Quote Originally Posted by arana negra View Post
    Och ah sorts really, the things already mentioned, some bums in jeans jings they must be welded on, how many matches you can get in box, how many folk in a phone box, ballons in a dump truck, how did they get that bottle in the jar and how did that pig get in the poke ???
    Haha, good answer.

Isn't it amazing how far things have come? I shocked my daughter once by telling her that I had used punched paper tape to feed a program into a computer *during her lifetime*. Admittedly I had been hired to program a more up to date machine to replace it, but it was still the operational system. The speed of modern computers is breathtaking compared to the old ones, but I think it's the storage that is the most striking. In the 80s the instructions for installing a hard drive of just less than half a Gigabytes started with "Find another person to help you. Do not try to lift this on your own." Now we've got 8 Gig in a memory chip in a camera.

I agree, it's amazing how so much can fit into so little. Twenty years ago I knew nothing, now I know it all.

I no its going of the topic what i find amazing is how signal can fly though the air and give sound and picture on a tv make a radio work or even a mobile fone it really is amazing how anyone could think these things up and make it work

A lot of things are thought up in one decade and not brought to reality until many years later. Did you know HG Wells predicted nuclear war in one of his novels in 1914?

Look at this article from "The Atlantic" from July 1945. It predicts such things as the internet, personal computers, the web, and online encyclopedias, all with no inkling as to how they are to be implemented. BTW this Bush is not related to the notorious crime family.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/194507/bush

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    I agree, it's amazing how so much can fit into so little. Twenty years ago I knew nothing, now I know it all.
    You're doing it the wrong way around...... most of us know everthing as teenagers and then start forgetting it at 25. At 50 I'll be wondering who I am!

As for existencial moments of the wrong kind, they happen for me when I run into the beavers I worked with at scouts..... with their own children who are already going to scouts as well. There is NO WAY I can be THAT old.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing