Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Music Shop

Quote Originally Posted by mareng
    I suspect that Thurso and Wick will end up with the shops that they deserve - 99p stores.

There goes the neighbourhood!

I wish the best of luck to James and his staff for the future.
    ??????? They both already have 99p stores . That alot of people would not do without for many things . There maybe alot of tat but there are many usefull items .
    I take it you are a posh millionaire who thinks they are above everyone else and thinks people who shop in these stores to be below them ??? Going by your there goes the neighbourhood quote.
    I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator. Well thats what i told them while drunk and disorderly.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dali
    ??????? They both already have 99p stores . That alot of people would not do without for many things . There maybe alot of tat but there are many usefull items .
    I take it you are a posh millionaire who thinks they are above everyone else and thinks people who shop in these stores to be below them ??? Going by your there goes the neighbourhood quote.
    Well said you get some not bad stuff in there
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

While I don't dispute that you get some good stuff in those shops, pretty soon, that's all you are going to have if the complete diversity of shops is not supported.

You might not even notice it happening, but when every second shop is a charity shop or 99p store (and I use the term as generic) the retail infrastructure is upset. The tourists and those that return every year notice it first.

For example
    Most people look at the cost of say - a flat panel TV in Inverness and Thurso, (£600 compated to £650 resp) and think - "I'm not giving an additional £50 profit to **** in Thurso - I'll buy from Inverness"

It doesn't matter that most of that £50 may be swallowed up in fuel/car/time costs - they don't see that as tangeable, such is their determination to prevent the Thurso retailer from getting that imaginary £50.

The thing is - the Thurso (or Wick, sorry) retailer probably is making around the same profit as the Inverness concern, due to differing volumes of sale and overheads.

If you live and and earn a living in Caithness, don't Caithness businesses deserve to get some of that back?
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Unhappy

I AM GUTTED... I use the music shop regularly & have done for the last 25 years..
    Prices didna bother me in fact I got some pretty good deals out of it over the years ..Dinna ken what I'll do now when the wife goes to mackays clothes shopping!!..
    Many Many thanks to James,Jane,Joey,Catherine,Jeanette & all other staff who for so many years helped damage my hearing with a constant supply of heavy metal,punk & general Noisy records!!
    I think am aboot to cown on ma keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by zappster
    I AM GUTTED... I use the music shop regularly & have done for the last 25 years..
    Prices didna bother me in fact I got some pretty good deals out of it over the years ..Dinna ken what I'll do now when the wife goes to mackays clothes shopping!!..
    Many Many thanks to James,Jane,Joey,Catherine,Jeanette & all other staff who for so many years helped damage my hearing with a constant supply of heavy metal,punk & general Noisy records!!
    I think am aboot to cown on ma keyboard
    I'll hazard a guess that you buy the same music as me................ recorded 25 years ago!

Can I reccommend the Comm as an alternative to venturing through the doors of Mackays? (I'm assuming you shop in Thurso)

I'll miss the shop too.
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

For example
    Most people look at the cost of say - a flat panel TV in Inverness and Thurso, (£600 compated to £650 resp) and think - "I'm not giving an additional £50 profit to **** in Thurso - I'll buy from Inverness"
    A 5 to 10% mark up does not bother me. I will and have bought local at that price. Unfortunately that is not always the case....sigh

I'll hazard a guess that you buy the same music as me................ recorded 25 years ago!

Can I reccommend the Comm as an alternative to venturing through the doors of Mackays? (I'm assuming you shop in Thurso)

I'll miss the shop too.
    LOL aye canna beat the owld stuff...
    Am a Weeker & ah dinna need any more excuses to go drinkin !!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by zappster
    LOL aye canna beat the owld stuff...
    Am a Weeker & ah dinna need any more excuses to go drinkin !!

Okay - I dare you........ go to Mackays with your wife!

You are a brave man (or a slow learner)

Let us know how you get on!

Mareng

While I don't dispute that you get some good stuff in those shops, pretty soon, that's all you are going to have if the complete diversity of shops is not supported.

You might not even notice it happening, but when every second shop is a charity shop or 99p store (and I use the term as generic) the retail infrastructure is upset. The tourists and those that return every year notice it first.

For example

It doesn't matter that most of that £50 may be swallowed up in fuel/car/time costs - they don't see that as tangeable, such is their determination to prevent the Thurso retailer from getting that imaginary £50.

The thing is - the Thurso (or Wick, sorry) retailer probably is making around the same profit as the Inverness concern, due to differing volumes of sale and overheads.

If you live and and earn a living in Caithness, don't Caithness businesses deserve to get some of that back?
    The thing is we already have a 99p store in wick and in thurso . We already have many thrift/charity shops in wick and thurso .

So what is your point ? these shops were here well before any of the new enterprises (tesco ,asda,so on ) thought of coming up here .
    Why do the businesses deserve to get some money back they do not pay us .
    Do we not deserve better value for our hard erned cash ?

If it was only 50 quid then maybe people might buy more local but it isnt .(even tho this small £50 that you make it sound is alot of money to most people)You save much more shopping out of caithness a few hundred more like . No need to waste petrol you can order over the phone or the internet.
    It is not an imaginary 50 pound it is real and a large sum for most .

As i have said further up you all have the choice and if shops are closing then the choice is made . You do not have to shop online you do not have to shop in tesco,asda,homebase,neulook,or superdrug you can keep suporting your local small retailer. But by the masses that were in homebase and superdrug i am guessing that the better value more choice will win overall .

I cannot believe the music shop is closing due to Tesco applying for planning permision .Why not stay open for aslong as posible there is not even a brick layed yet they only sell cds no musical instruments . Why did the music shop not close when woolies opened? why did the thurso 1 not close when the other music shop opened ?
    Why has none of the diy/paint shops closed .They may do i will admit but they did not just shut shop and run at the sign of hombase nor the chemists at the sign of semichem.If the local retailers want our custom then stay open longer lessen there prices go that extra mile to make us want to shop there.
    If these shops only make a small amount of profit on these items then why do they not buy from the internet cheap make more profit and sell cheaper to us .
    I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator. Well thats what i told them while drunk and disorderly.

I remember the st.bruno dog at the music shop too. there was also one in Wellington street at the shop there.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Dali
    The thing is we already have a 99p store in wick and in thurso . We already have many thrift/charity shops in wick and thurso .

So what is your point ? these shops were here well before any of the new enterprises (tesco ,asda,so on ) thought of coming up here .
    Why do the businesses deserve to get some money back they do not pay us .
    Do we not deserve better value for our hard erned cash ?

If it was only 50 quid then maybe people might buy more local but it isnt .(even tho this small £50 that you make it sound is alot of money to most people)You save much more shopping out of caithness a few hundred more like . No need to waste petrol you can order over the phone or the internet.
    It is not an imaginary 50 pound it is real and a large sum for most .

As i have said further up you all have the choice and if shops are closing then the choice is made . You do not have to shop online you do not have to shop in tesco,asda,homebase,neulook,or superdrug you can keep suporting your local small retailer. But by the masses that were in homebase and superdrug i am guessing that the better value more choice will win overall .

I cannot believe the music shop is closing due to Tesco applying for planning permision .Why not stay open for aslong as posible there is not even a brick layed yet they only sell cds no musical instruments . Why did the music shop not close when woolies opened? why did the thurso 1 not close when the other music shop opened ?
    Why has none of the diy/paint shops closed .They may do i will admit but they did not just shut shop and run at the sign of hombase nor the chemists at the sign of semichem.If the local retailers want our custom then stay open longer lessen there prices go that extra mile to make us want to shop there.
    If these shops only make a small amount of profit on these items then why do they not buy from the internet cheap make more profit and sell cheaper to us .
    My point is the retail infrastructure in Thurso and Wick is disappearing, If you believe that the towns will be better off with nothing but 99p stores (again used as a generic term) and charity shops and supermarkets on the outskirts then I guess you will experience your nirvana.

My "£50 example" was only that.......... an example. If you are determined to miss the point, then you surely will.

To pick up on your query as to why the Music Shop in Thurso and Wick didn't stay open longer - I have to question just who you think you are? If you are in business there comes a time when you may have to cut your losses - that is a decision that can only be made by that individual. I don't remember anyone claiming that Tesco threatening to come to Caithness was the cause of a downfall in local music turnover.

But, if you truely believe that purchasing everything other than groceries, from the internet or Inverness will keep Thurso and Wick town centres bouyant - then time will prove one of us right.

Just found a post submitted by you a few days ago on another thread:

"I think you will find that online retailers have helped close the music shop .
    Otherwise why did woolies not kill the music store ?
    The only real affect tesco will have is against somerfield and coop. Other than food everything else clothes electrical goods toys can all be bought online cheaper and delivered to your door. This is more like what will kill the smaller shops and has been doing for ages .
    The only thing that kills small shops is not Tesco,asda or homebase. It is the customer if you stop shopping there then you kill the smaller shops it is your choice.
    Tesco and the others do not force anyone to shop there just continue to pay more for less with early closing times and half days and dinner hour clossing. The plight of the small retailer is in your hands and nobody elses.
    I tho am off to Tescos"

If I didn't know better, I would think that your argument was aligned to mine?
    Last edited by mareng; 14-Apr-06 at 00:42.

My point is the retail infrastructure in Thurso and Wick is disappearing, If you believe that the towns will be better off with nothing but 99p stores (again used as a generic term) and charity shops and supermarkets on the outskirts then I guess you will experience your nirvana.

My "£50 example" was only that.......... an example. If you are determined to miss the point, then you surely will.

To pick up on your query as to why the Music Shop in Thurso and Wick didn't stay open longer - I have to question just who you think you are? If you are in business there comes a time when you may have to cut your losses - that is a decision that can only be made by that individual. I don't remember anyone claiming that Tesco threatening to come to Caithness was the cause of a downfall in local music turnover.

But, if you truely believe that purchasing everything other than groceries, from the internet or Inverness will keep Thurso and Wick town centres bouyant - then time will prove one of us right.

Just found a post submitted by you a few days ago on another thread:

"I think you will find that online retailers have helped close the music shop .
    Otherwise why did woolies not kill the music store ?
    The only real affect tesco will have is against somerfield and coop. Other than food everything else clothes electrical goods toys can all be bought online cheaper and delivered to your door. This is more like what will kill the smaller shops and has been doing for ages .
    The only thing that kills small shops is not Tesco,asda or homebase. It is the customer if you stop shopping there then you kill the smaller shops it is your choice.
    Tesco and the others do not force anyone to shop there just continue to pay more for less with early closing times and half days and dinner hour clossing. The plight of the small retailer is in your hands and nobody elses.
    I tho am off to Tescos"

If I didn't know better, I would think that your argument was aligned to mine?
    Once again we already have 99p stores and charity shops and have had them for along time .The nirvana is here you are living it but refuse to see .
    I do like to support local retailers but i also like them to support me. Why should i pay higher prices just to support local retail . Halfday closing closing at 5 closed for dinner .
    Ther have been plenty of shops closed and borded up on wick streets for years . But if things were so bad why would large retail stores want to invest up here why would there be houses going up all over the place . People are sic and tired of the way we are treated to high prices and low customer service.
    quote by you
    "I don't remember anyone claiming that Tesco threatening to come to Caithness was the cause of a downfall in local music turnover."

And if you read the other thread fully you would see that it was claimed Tesco threatened the downfall in local music turnover.
    And if you are going to use examples try to be a bit more accurate shadding the truth by making the prices look smaller £50 mark up instea of the £200 or more . Just blankets the facts .
    As i say nobody is forced to shop at these bigger stores but if the smaller shops all close before the stores are built then they will never know if we will support them will they ?
    No need to question who i think i am i am a consumer who knows the value of money .And i want more for it as i asume most others do aswell .
    I will support local shops when they support me .
    Last edited by Dali; 14-Apr-06 at 01:01.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123