Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: organic food

Default organic food

a friend of mine has told me that there was a report in the last couple of weeks, saying that we've been fooled all these years about the goodness of organic food....it apparently said that organic food was no better for you than the ordinary stuff we eat, except it was massively more expensive...did this report really say that
    Keep it country

Of course. An organic apple has the same amount of goodness in it as a non organic apple. The only difference I can think of is, it hasn't been sprayed with a bunch of pesticides...
    I prefer not to eat pesticides...

Here's the Times online report for you Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cornwall View Post
    a friend of mine has told me that there was a report in the last couple of weeks, saying that we've been fooled all these years about the goodness of organic food....it apparently said that organic food was no better for you than the ordinary stuff we eat, except it was massively more expensive...did this report really say that
    If the only reason you buy/eat organic is because you think its "better" for you then you have completely overlooked the real point behind organic produce.

Organic Food in incorrectly named, after all food is Organic, what else could it be.

In reality it should be called Artificial Pesticide Free Food, for that is what it means. Or APF Food.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

so it is all a rip off, this organic stuff is really no better for you
    Keep it country

The report states that nutritionally, there is no difference. Of course there isn't, a lettuce is a lettuce whether it is organic or not. However, as has been stated already, if you do not want to include herbicides and pesticides in your diet, organic is the way to go.

Organic is also better for the environment since organic farmers conserve water and soil and reduce pollution.

If you don't give a hoot about your health or the environment then the organic section is not for you.

Organic tastes nicer too.

Default Fresh Veg

When I lived in Shropshire I rented a field next to my house that was always used as a horse paddock and an elderly neighbour told me he could never remember that field being ploughed (over sixty years)
    I put it under the plough to expand my interest in growing vegetables and had a readymade outlet to a local produce market also I used to sell at the gate to the locals.

One of my neighbours had some sought of allergy to pesticides and herbicides and was often unwell and he could not believe the change in his health and wellbeing as a result of buying fresh vegetables from a non contaminated field and I believe it is not just what goes on a crop this year, but has an accumulative effect of years of spraying and artificial fertiliser that was causing his illness.

There is no doubt in my mind that fresh vegetables are not only better for you, but are far superior in taste and it is something I miss doing.

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    Of course. An organic apple has the same amount of goodness in it as a non organic apple. The only difference I can think of is, it hasn't been sprayed with a bunch of pesticides...
    I prefer not to eat pesticides...
    No problem. Just wash and peel the apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    No problem. Just wash and peel the apple.
    Did you know that most of the "goodness" (vitamins...) are closest to the skin. My grandma always used to tell me to eat the skin because it was very good for you. Apparently an apple only has roughly 20% of vitamins left after you discard of the peel (depending on how thin or thick you peel it).

My granddad never ate apples, just the peel that my grandma took off the apples when she was cooking them for apple sauce, peeling them for us when we were little etc.
    We now know that he got most of the goodness....