Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cyclists could be hit with Road Tax!

[quote=bish667;595202]Gizmo you got in there first.

would cycle lanes help fix the problem with kids having no brakes and hitting 'parked' cars, em.... no, kids arent goin to use cycle lanes as most dont use roads for travelling from A to B and getting in the way of traffic,kids just cycle around randomly messing around with their mates
    Its not as simple as just putting a cycle lane on a road cos they either have to widen the road which is not possible on most roads or divide the existing road into 2 which is then going to make car drivers unhappy about anyway. Either way there isnt an adequate amount of cyclists in Thurso to warrant a cycle lane.[/quote
    There is more to this post than kids and Thurso

Quote Originally Posted by bish667 View Post
    Insurance for young kids on bikes!!! That'll soon stop them using their bikes which is not the direction we should be pushing kids towards.
    Their parents taking blame for any damage they cause would be a better idea.
    I totally agree with you , Parents should take responsibility for their children, and for their children's bicycles, I wonder how many kids own bikes that have become defective because the parents can't be bothered to service them, a child with a defective bike on a public road in my opinion is a potential recipe for disaster. So say a block insurance policy was to become available for family of cyclists then at least the cyclists are covered in the event of an accident, and because insurance companies would insist that all cycles were road worthy before insurance would be given surely that would be beneficial to all parties, and i still think that some sort of compulsory test should be undertaken by cyclists before they are allowed on the road, so as to ensure the cyclist has the basics of road safety. I believe that some bikes today can cost as much as a good second hand car, lets suppose that two cyclists are involved in an accident with each other and one is at fault, if insurance is involved then at least you have the peace of mind to know that your equipment is covered. I also believe that most parents would welcome such a scheme.
    The costs involved would probably be less than the current cost of a TV license.
    I know that there are many inconsiderate motorists who pose a danger to other road users and I dare say the same can be said about cyclists, I have seen cyclists ignore red stop lights and continue into the path of on coming vehicles and cyclists who ignore people at pedestrian crossings, I feel that insurance for cyclists should be compulsory.

....and maybe the govt should require pedestrians to have road tax too - after all they wear out the pavement - and the road for that matter whenever they cross it (;->). This is a silly idea from a govt desperate to recoup the billions that stupid greedy bankers have lost.

I pay my road tax for the car like most cyclists, so why, when I am cycling instead of driving and so saving road wear, do I have to pay again? What a daft idea!
    Your vision will become clear
    Only when you look into your heart ....
    Who looks outside, dreams..
    Who looks inside, awakens.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234