Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: Cyclists could be hit with Road Tax!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Here, there and everywhere
    Posts
    1,424

    Default Cyclists could be hit with Road Tax!

    What is your opinion on this?

    I think that it is fair enough - obviously they should pay a lot less for a bike than for a car but at least they would be contributing same as drivers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    Here's a link to the story for more info. Dunno if it's the same as Laguna2's read tho'

    Personally I think it would be a ridiculous idea, worthy of an April 1st headline! Bikes cause minimal wear on roads, are a healthy alternative to cars (& should be promoted as such), and as is mentioned in the article, are carbon neutral so should be exempt.
    Last edited by Bobinovich; 14-Sep-09 at 09:32.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laguna2 View Post
    What is your opinion on this?

    I think that it is fair enough - obviously they should pay a lot less for a bike than for a car but at least they would be contributing same as drivers.
    Too right, insurance and MOT as well, perhaps even a real and proper driving/riding test as well.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Here, there and everywhere
    Posts
    1,424

    Default

    Probably is Bob, thanks for posting the link. I heard it on the news on Real Radio so it was just the bones of the story that they gave, no time scale or details.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    overlooking the sea
    Posts
    1,010

    Default

    I think they should pay more than a car personally!! most of them think they own the road anyway so let them pay for the privilege.
    Im not the greatest fan of cyclists I think alot of them are a danger on the road, I know they are entitled to as much room as a car but when you get the idiots who insist on riding 2 or 3 abreast it does become a hazard.
    we drove back from Inverness a few weeks ago & there was a cycle race in progress between the Black Isle & Alness how none of those cyclists got killed is a miracle! they were all over the road & the closer to the finish they were the worse it got, they were obviously getting tired but were swerving all over the road. wouldnt you think they would pick a quieter road to do these things on
    I agree that they should pay for insurance too, who pays when their the cause of an accident?
    I think they should all take a cycle test aswell before being allowed on the road!
    Last edited by BRIE; 14-Sep-09 at 09:31. Reason: added
    life may not be a party be while were here we might as well dance!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Strathy East
    Posts
    599

    Default

    This is an extract from the link posted by Bobinovich -"But it also raises the question of cyclists making a financial contribution to roads maintenance".
    The Road Fund Licence revenue has been for many years just another form of taxation and this crazy idea is just that - another tax on the long suffering public and nothing to do with road maintenance.
    What we need is less tax, a purge of civil "servants", and a return to some kind of sanity in this country.
    What next, heavy breathers to pay more for their air ??

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Good luck to them trying to implement this

    Cant see many cyclists having a license plate stuck on their bike, civil servants must be getting desperate for ideas for making more money.
    Can just picture a 4 year old on their pushbike getting pulled by the police and questioned
    Last edited by bish667; 14-Sep-09 at 10:50.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Halkirk/Shurrery
    Posts
    662

    Default

    What's next ?
    MOT for pedestrians ???
    If they bring this in I will get rid of all 5 bikes we have and use the car instead.
    I am not paying tax and insurance for my kids to bike around the village or into town.

    I agree that all cyclists should pass a test. I had to pass one when I was 8 and again at 14.

    Somebody asked "Who pays when a cyclist is involved in a car accident?". Same goes for pedestrians, dogs, deer.... your own insurance. That's what fully comprehensive is for.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wick
    Posts
    3,861

    Default

    Here's an idea: Road tax in all it's forms should be scrapped!
    Sack all the civil servants that are employed to maintain the scheme and then there will be a huge financial saving as the cost on managing the tax will be enormous.
    Then add a fraction of a penny to the price of road fuel. Then the taxable income to the treasury will be the same if not more and it fairer for all users.

    The amount you pay will be relative to the use of the roads and it is self governing on the efficiency of your vehicle.

    Naturally pedal cyclist will not have to pay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    "Who pays when a cyclist is involved in a car accident?". Same goes for pedestrians, dogs, deer.... your own insurance. That's what fully comprehensive is for.
    That's a tad unfair, why should I be responsible for the actions of others?
    Dogs and deer are out of the equation but if someone hit my vehicle through their own negligence why should I foot the bill for the damage?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    Somebody asked "Who pays when a cyclist is involved in a car accident?". Same goes for pedestrians, dogs, deer.... your own insurance. That's what fully comprehensive is for.
    Think you'll find 3rd party is what covers this.
    Fully comp gives extra cover to your own car.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern Spain and Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    628

    Default

    In the words of Victor Meldrew 'I don't believe it !' just how many stupid ideas can these so called intellectuals come up with. First they want cars off the road but offer real viable options, buses and trains don't run to/from where folks really want them nor at sensible times/prices. So Jo public takes to their bike, healthy, inexpensive and clean to run and whallop OH NO you can't do that ! we will have to charge you for it BOLLOCKS I reckon the more these numpties try to get folks out of the cars and into public transport the LESS likely there are to succeed as they have not got a clue how to make it work. The proper infastructure has to be in place AHEAD of making these decisions.

    Training for cyclists is a good idea and for motor vehicle drivers to be made more aware of them, too many times I get cut off by car drivers as I am about to negotiate roundabouts, also get blasted with car horns for just being on the road
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arana negra View Post
    also get blasted with car horns for just being on the road
    I give those drivers the finger of approval.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    438

    Default

    I dont see why not and I think horse riders should also pay tax and inusrance

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Caithness
    Posts
    438

    Default

    While we are on the subject should cyclists ride single file or is it legal to be two abreast or even three

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bucket View Post
    While we are on the subject should cyclists ride single file or is it legal to be two abreast or even three
    Its in the highway code that 2 abreast is legal as long as its not on a busy road, so again that can cause arguments as to what classifies as busy


    Obviously we wont be able to do much about it if the government decide to go ahead, however I cannot see how the cost of regulating this will make them any profit as they cannot possibly charge a lot for push bike tax considering how little people pay for motorbike and economic cars.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Thurso, Caithness
    Posts
    4,200

    Default

    Perhaps the Government should put up on all pedestrian crossings a Pay-As-You-Cross Meter. Say 10p a time, this would make a lot of Money for the Government and pay for the Wear and Tear that pedestrian's make while crossing the Road.

    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

    Edgar Allen Poe

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Week
    Posts
    2,040

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by BRIE View Post
    I think they should pay more than a car personally!! most of them think they own the road anyway so let them pay for the privilege.
    Im not the greatest fan of cyclists I think alot of them are a danger on the road, I know they are entitled to as much room as a car but when you get the idiots who insist on riding 2 or 3 abreast it does become a hazard.
    we drove back from Inverness a few weeks ago & there was a cycle race in progress between the Black Isle & Alness how none of those cyclists got killed is a miracle! they were all over the road & the closer to the finish they were the worse it got, they were obviously getting tired but were swerving all over the road. wouldnt you think they would pick a quieter road to do these things on
    I agree that they should pay for insurance too, who pays when their the cause of an accident?
    I think they should all take a cycle test aswell before being allowed on the road!
    I don't own a car anymore, so i cycle everywhere i go these days, but i spent 15yrs driving round Caithness/Sutherland as a delivery man, and i've seen every kind of idiotic driving imaginable, at least 80% of you have not got a clue what you are doing on the road and should be made to re-sit your driving test every 10 years, and some of you should never have been given a license in the first place.
    I've seen quite a few accidents happen over the years, and not once have i ever seen a cyclist be the cause of one, it's ALWAYS a complete lack of attention on behalf of the motorist that has been to blame, you may not be the biggest fan of cyclists, but to me...you sound like the worst kind of motorist out there.
    If it ain't broke....hit it harder

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I don't own a car anymore, so i cycle everywhere i go these days, but i spent 15yrs driving round Caithness/Sutherland as a delivery man, and i've seen every kind of idiotic driving imaginable, at least 80% of you have not got a clue what you are doing on the road and should be made to re-sit your driving test every 10 years, and some of you should never have been given a license in the first place.
    I've seen quite a few accidents happen over the years, and not once have i ever seen a cyclist be the cause of one, it's ALWAYS a complete lack of attention on behalf of the motorist that has been to blame, you may not be the biggest fan of cyclists, but to me...you sound like the worst kind of motorist out there.

    Well said, couldn't agree more.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Perhaps the Government should put up on all pedestrian crossings a Pay-As-You-Cross Meter. Say 10p a time, this would make a lot of Money for the Government and pay for the Wear and Tear that pedestrian's make while crossing the Road.
    Its not the pedestrian crossers that need to pay it's the so called jay-walkers that need to be fined, inebriated ones paying double.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bish667 View Post
    Good luck to them trying to implement this

    Cant see many cyclists having a license plate stuck on their bike, civil servants must be getting desperate for ideas for making more money.
    So who's going to enforce this?

    Perhaps the same ones that are supposed to stop the use of mobile phones when driving, etc.

    Or the same ones who become blind when seeing people cycling the wrong way along one-way streets or the wrong side of the road, cycling wihout lights, etc, etc! (my pet hates, living in a community with a high percentage of students).

    Given the percentage of drivers who are now reckoned to have no insurance they haven't a hope in (oops nearly an infraction there)!

    JimBews

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •