Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A very sick dog

Default A very sick dog

Barney now been home for 5 hrs, still wont drink water or eat, although i can understand him not wanting food, i tried to give him his antibotic he wont have it!!! tried it in food, tried putting it in his mouth, nope hes not having it!! but its his tramadol painkillers i have to give him at 10pm i am worried about.

If you are at all worried why don't you give the vet a ring? Perhaps they could come and give him the antibitoic and painkiller by injection?

As you said I wouldn't worry about him not eating but he may get dehyrdrated if he doesn't drink.

Re the tramadol painkiller I take this and, not sure whether it would have the same effect on an animal, but it makes me feel quite sick if I take it for more than two days.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Default A very sick dog

Gave the vet a ring liz, he said not to worry too much him not getting his antibotic but to take him back tomorrow and will give me injections for him.

Hope that has put your mind to rest then.

I am sure he will 'pick up' as is early days. Really awful to see our bairns so unwell.

Barney looks a fine dog and I am sure will pull through......he will soon tell you when he is ready to eat and when he does it might be an idea to mash his food up a little, giving those intestines less to do,
    Plenty to drink and all should be well.......time is what he needs as he will feel so unwell with the effects of anesthetic.....maybe the water is more than he can face at the moment.
    Healing candles lit to send out all of that wonderful healing light. Big cuddle for Barney from Teenybash.....................
    Last edited by teenybash; 13-Sep-09 at 20:26.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Gave the vet a ring liz, he said not to worry too much him not getting his antibotic but to take him back tomorrow and will give me injections for him.
    Do u think he would eat warmed ambrosia rice pudding??We had a similar situation with a girl[she had peritonitis after spaying op.] and would not eat or drink............this worked for her..we spoon fed her slowly.
    best wishes............

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post

The only way we could get dileas to take her antibiotic was by crushing it and mixing it with full cream milk.

Try that, at least that way your getting some fluid down him too.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by BINBOB View Post
    Do u think he would eat warmed ambrosia rice pudding??We had a similar situation with a girl[she had peritonitis after spaying op.] and would not eat or drink............this worked for her..we spoon fed her slowly.
    best wishes............
    Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    The only way we could get dileas to take her antibiotic was by crushing it and mixing it with full cream milk.

Try that, at least that way your getting some fluid down him too.
    To be honest I would be wary of giving dairy products to dogs (and cats). The only exception I would make to this would be some organic live yogurt after a tummy upset or antibiotics as this helps replenish the good bacteria in the gut.http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Should_dogs_drink_milk

I would also avoid wheat as this can be an 'irritant' to the gut as well.

When Barney is ready he would be better on just chicken and rice (mashed as suggested by Teenybash) as this is bland and easy to digest.

For now though as long as he drinks that will be fine.

Let us know how he gets on at the Vets.

Big hugs to you both! xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    To be honest I would be wary of giving dairy products to dogs (and cats). The only exception I would make to this would be some organic live yogurt after a tummy upset or antibiotics as this helps replenish the good bacteria in the gut.http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Should_dogs_drink_milk

I would also avoid wheat as this can be an 'irritant' to the gut as well.

When Barney is ready he would be better on just chicken and rice (mashed as suggested by Teenybash) as this is bland and easy to digest.

For now though as long as he drinks that will be fine.

Let us know how he gets on at the Vets.

Big hugs to you both! xxx

Iknow what u are saying about dairy products....and do agree ...but in a DESPERATE situation...try anything.

My abbi [dog with peritonitis...........had 2 major ops.] it really saved her life,rice pudding,just a few teaspoons at a time.Itook her 5/6 weeks to recover..........
    I also agree with the live yogurt,my dogs just love it.

Iknow what u are saying about dairy products....and do agree ...but in a DESPERATE situation...try anything.

My abbi [dog with peritonitis...........had 2 major ops.] it really saved her life,rice pudding,just a few teaspoons at a time.Itook her 5/6 weeks to recover..........
    I also agree with the live yogurt,my dogs just love it.
    Oh yes I definitely agree with you in that when it is an emergency anything goes!!!

Oh yes I definitely agree with you in that when it is an emergency anything goes!!!

Thanks,Liz............

I used that elmlea double cream...it fooled her.

I know what your saying Liz but she is just terrible at taking pills.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    I used that elmlea double cream...it fooled her.

I know what your saying Liz but she is just terrible at taking pills.
    Needs must!

How is Barney today?

Default A very sick dog

Update. just back from the vets, he was given injections for pain and antibotics, his temp is good but its the next few days that is the worrying time to see if hes going to be on the road to recovery. He did drink a pint of water but no food. To take him back to vets again tomorrow night.

I know it must still be an awful and worrying time for you but take heart that he managed to drink a fair amount of water and keep it down.Also the fact that his temp is okay is a good sign as obviously no infection.

I would say it is good that he isn't eating as it will give his tummy even more time to heal.

Keeping the healing light going!

Thanks,Liz............
    Not at all. I thought I may come across as trying to teach my granny to suck eggs!!!

thats good news for today....little at a time...xx
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Not at all. I thought I may come across as trying to teach my granny to suck eggs!!!
    Ur granny....I am only 89..............

A pint of water is good and will help Barney to flush out his system and get it started again.............Hope for more good news tomorrow.....

Lots and lots of healing light,
    will curl a circle white and bright
    ensuring Barney wins his fight......

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast