Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teacher in the past

anyone remember
    kojak - george mackay - french
    witchie - Mrs Holmes - history
    alick holak - french

messers Main, McMillan (both maths) always behaved in their class

Default That's another one..

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    How many of these do you remember? ~ Thurso High Staff of 67-68
    Mr Fishbourne,Mr Kirkpatrick(art), Mr McArdle(art),Mr Wright,Mr McLean(maths),Mr Tait(english),Mr Auld,Mr Campbell(geography),Mr Gunn(science),Mr Mackay(maths),Mr Donn(Physics),Mr Young(french),Capt Manson(Navigation),Mr Black(biology),Mrs Edwards,Mrs Holliday(french),Miss Duncan(homecraft),Miss Bannerman(french),Miss Budge(maths),Mrs Sutherland(history),Mrs Sutherland(shorthand),Mrs Pollock(Physics),Mrs Dunn(chemistry),Miss Goldie,Mrs Clelland,Mrs Hoskins(PE), Mrs Gunn(english),Miss Rodgers(RI),Mrs Leonard,Mrs Adamson,Mrs Mackay(english),Mrs Sparling(homecraft),mrs Brown(homecraft),Mr Gibbons(physics),Mr Gilvrary(history),Mr Menzies(art),Mr Kidd(PE),Mr Bruce(maths),Mr Sutherland(Latin),Miss Ryrie(english),Mr Shurie,Mr Bell(chemistry),Miss Henderson(homecraft),Mr Weir(geography),Mr Lafferty(music), Mr Bakie, Dr Young(Rector).
    Hey - that was my Art teacher - Mr Menzies. Made me pose on top of one of the tables, holding a broom - I passed out! I was hopeless at Art and he first used to punish me 'cos he thought I was taking the proverbial. Eventually my tears of frustration got though and he tried me on abstracts - winner!
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by brokencross
    Buttercup, many thanks for that list of teachers at THS. Ican still see their faces inmy mind's eye even after all this time.

Miss Bannerman used to run the after school drama group and I remember her putting on a few performances for the school. In fact if my memory serves me right she married Mr Tait (Lurch).

Mr Kirkpatrick used to take us for art; believe it or not he made me pose in football kit for the "O" level art class, a wee bit embarrassing eh what!?
    Miss Bannerman (Twiggy) taught me French in first year, and later on, I had elderly Miss Baird, who spoke French with a posh Kelvinside accent. Twiggy did indeed marry Mr Tait (Lurch), who was much taller and and much older than her! Mr Kirkpatrick was one of my Art teachers too, as well as Mr Menzies.

I had "Netta Duck" Ryrie for English, and also Granny Gunn, who forever imprinted Tam O'Shanter on my brain! Bill Shurie (Hop Along) was my favourite English teacher, though. He was distinguished and a great wit, and you couldn't help but have the utmost respect for him. None of the wind-up merchants in my class dared try anything with Mr Shurie, as he could easily flatten them with one of his comments or looks!

I was never lucky enough to have "Handsome Harry" Campbell as a Geography teacher, I'm afraid! Instead, I got stuck with "Goofy" Mr Weir!

Squeaky Dunn terrified me - she was a bit of an iron lady, really!

Anyway, folks, take a look that this 1949 photo, and you will spot a few familiar faces!

http://www.caithness.org/schooldays/...taff/index.htm

Mr Powell ..........English
    Mrs Fitzpatrick....Cooking
    Mrs Omand...English (she was lovely teacher)
    Bat woman/wifie...........maths
    Harded giver of the belt ................MR Brooks PE

Oh the good old days!

Quote Originally Posted by The Angel Of Death
    Good old thunderguts not even the worst tried it on with him you just knew he wouldnt take anything at all

I reckon the schools could use a few more like him nowadays

I seem to remember that Thunderguts was infact Mr Macdonald.

I had him as well and to start with even his look had me shaking in my shoes but by the time I got to sixth year he was lovely - if you didnt give him reason to shout at you he didnt!!

Default Rate my teacher

This may be of some interest to a few of you,

http://www.ratemyteachers.co.uk/scho...so_high_school

Just Outside The Gateway To Hell 3rd House On The Left

To true his rep proceded him and i never had the urge to test him all all (in a feared for my life kinda way !!!)
    Give a child a hammer and the whole world becomes a nail

Default those were the days

I guess my teachers were a wee bit later than most, ones that I've no seen yet....

Peegy Powell - English
    Wild Hamish - Physics
    Spongy - RE
    Jessie Buck - Maths

Twinkle Toes - as for the hardest tweeger in the school, there were 2 that had the fearsomest reputation - Menzies and Brooks, although Mr Main was pretty good too. Maybe if someone got the strap from both of them they could put this argument to rest.
    In mitigation Mr Bruce de Wert said his client had been drinking and could remember little of the incident.

Gina MacAllan..........French

John Harper...........Maths, he retired due to ill health

Mr MacMillian..........Maths (Legend)

Malcolm Clasper......Science

Mrs Emily Fraser...remedial...your class Cullbucket(joke)

Mr Mackay.... secretarial

Do you remember l in 73/74 the high school was closed, or we were on 2 day week due to something to do with the building(Asbestos, maybe )cant remember, we went to main hall and collected work for the week.

All these memories about school, have made me think back to those happy days.

Granny Gunn may have looked like a little old wifie who was past her sell by date, but really she was a smart cooky.

One Monday morning, the English class was supposed to hand in an essay. Naughty lad that I am (or should I say, was) I hadn't finished it, so when Granny Gunn came round collecting the exercise books, I gave the age old excuse of "I've forgotten it miss!" At the time she seemed to accept it so I was well chuffed, relaxed.....off the hook again!!

However half way through the lesson she caught me totally off guard and asked me in front of the whole class, "Your Mam doesn't work does she, and she will be at home, won't she?" As I say, being caught off guard and also being a thicky and not realising the purpose of the question I said "Yes, she's expecting visitors, so she will definitely be in!!"

As quick as anything she said "Well you have my permission to leave the class, go home now and get your homework, on ye go!"

Talk about panic, my Mam would be at home, I hadn't finished the homework, and didn't even have enough time to scribble the homework.

Eventually, all I did was get on my bike, ride about for about 15 minutes, reappear and say that when I got home that my Mam was out! Granny Gunn just gave me a knowing look, shook her head and walked away chuckling to herself. I think she could see the total fear in my face!!

My lesson was learnt, teachers are clever and will always catch you out and I always did my homework on time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12