Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: £1 million for Community Centre

Default £1 million for Community Centre

Am I wrong or is the Assembly Rooms not a Community Centre which I understand needs money spent on it - so why spend £1 million on a new centre?
    The Assembly Rooms is in Pultneytown - but do they mean the £1 millkion should be spent in Lower Pultneytown.
    I no longer live in Caithness, have only been back for a very short visit recently, did not spend anytime down Lower Pultney or in the Assembly Rooms so feel unable to really comment on this but the money spent on the Assembley Rooms at the time of being done many years ago it was going to be the best Community Centre, has this place now outlived its usefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Am I wrong or is the Assembly Rooms not a Community Centre which I understand needs money spent on it - so why spend £1 million on a new centre?
    A good question, I wonder if many people think that this proposed project is necessary, especially if you consider that the Assembly Rooms seem to fulfill the community needs adequately. The money would be better spent refurbishing the Assembly Rooms.
    Last edited by Stavro; 12-Sep-09 at 17:19.

Im sure it has been mentioned in the past that there is more grant money available for a new project. Silly really!

Im not 100% but sure ive heard this!!
    Its all good!!!
    It'l soon be Friday!! !!

what are they useing the assembly rooms for these days anyway?
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

I guess it's more to do with the people behind the new scheme running it as a business which they'll profit from. It gives them the incentive to go after the grants, lottery money, etc.

A group promoting the Assembly Rooms won't gain anything personally from it so why bother?
    Doolally

Quote Originally Posted by Doolally View Post
    I guess it's more to do with the people behind the new scheme running it as a business which they'll profit from. It gives them the incentive to go after the grants, lottery money, etc.

A group promoting the Assembly Rooms won't gain anything personally from it so why bother?
    Its a shame really considering that the Assembly Rooms is the Largest Venue in the Highlands next to Eden Court. The Assembly Rooms is used by many groups Karate, WRI, Scottish Slimmers, Dancing Schools and not to mention all the Music Groups which the Blackstairs are bringing up along with our local Drama Groups. Im sorry to say that if this place gets the go ahead then a lot of these groups will use the new centre which will spell a end for the Assembly Rooms. It is Just typical of Wick to be pulling in differant Directions when all these groups could be using a one up todate venue like the Assembly Rooms instead it looks like we are going to have Multiple Venues which are going to have little use.

They asked and they got - it wouldn't have been awarded unless they could prove a need.
    Here's a radical proposal - why not say well done - good on you, - I wonder why no one has done likewise for the Assembly rooms.

The Assembly Rooms is not eligible for lottery money as it is owned by the Highland Council. As the Council are always pleading poverty and there are more cutbacks in the pipeline there is little hope of the Assembly Rooms being renovated in the near future.