Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Somerfield Thurso

Thumbs down Somerfield Thurso

Yet again we have travelled into Thurso to get Instore Baked Bread, only to be told that the Baker was on Holiday last week so none was ordered. None yesterday and the same tomorrow.
    IF I could get it in the village I would.
    I have spoken with headoffice to rattle a few cages, but roll on ASDA.

Why do they need to order "instore baked bread" was it the ingredients they forgot to order if so why couldnt they take them of the shelf??
    and surely someone could have ordered it even if the baker wasnt there??

i think the stuff they use is ready made, it just needs fired in the oven to finish it off.
    it's a sair fecht

The bread is bought frozen, part baked. The baker puts it in the oven to finish it off. Believe me, not even ASDA will be able to get everything on shelves. And who do you think will be 'baking' in ASDA? Are they bringing a superhuman staff up with them? You can fill Caithness with as many supermarkets as you like but they wont be able to satisfy every customer 100%, because that is just life. We all have to deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Yet again we have travelled into Thurso to get Instore Baked Bread, only to be told that the Baker was on Holiday last week so none was ordered. None yesterday and the same tomorrow.
    IF I could get it in the village I would.
    I have spoken with headoffice to rattle a few cages, but roll on ASDA.
    And what type of bread was it that you wanted?

I agree you cant please every single customer 100% but no bread in a bakery dept ????????????????? cause someone never ordered it..... come on!!

Is one question mark not sufficent? Putting a hundred in doesn't make your point come across any better.

I went to Asda on Sunday and the shelves were practically empty. It was pretty much the same the week previous. Asda isn't the Mary Poppins of supermarkets some would think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes
    I agree you cant please every single customer 100% but no bread in a bakery dept ????????????????? cause someone never ordered it..... come on!!
    no1 forgot to order anything, that is probably just a line from someone who is not heavily involved with the bakery.

If or when asda and or tesco arrive in Caithness who do you think will be working there? The same people who work in other supermakets now. When they advertise for management who in Caithness has the "right CV" to be considered for the job?...the current management of the local supermarkets! Especially as they will be looking for new jobs as their current workplaces days are numbered! Big changes ahead (for the better)? Im not so sure, other than loads of empty supermarket sized buildings!

I'm gonna be the manager! In reality, it'll be nationally advertised

Default Somerfield Thurso

The point I was making has nothing to do with the Bread really - no more than the Caster Sugar or whatever else they have run out of that they normally hold.
    The modern computerised systems are designed to avoid stock problems.
    and when I said "roll on Asda" it could quite easily have been Tesco, Rainbow, M&S, or Mac's Mobile. Just someone who cares.

Well said, I totally agree with your point. There was incompetance within the dept and within the store. Will a store like this survive when Asda and Tesco arrive in the county?

I hate this "Lets shut things down to make way for bigger shops. Let's shut it down because it didn't have the type of cheese I like.". Problems don't go away by throwing money at them. You will be sorry when ASDA (or whoever!) arrives. Trust me, you will be.

They didn't have bread... big deal? It happens. It's not gonna stop me or anyone else for that matter, visiting the shop. In fact, I doubt it will stop you visiting. Shops run out of stock... warehouses run out of stock. Thats life, you should really learn to deal with it.
    Last edited by Jeid; 04-Apr-06 at 23:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid
    They didn't have bread... big deal? It happens. It's not gonna stop me or anyone else for that matter visiting the shop. In fact, I doubt it will stop you visiting. Shops run out of stock... warehouses run out of stock. Thats life, you should really learn to deal with it.

Here, here! I'm with you on that one Jeid.

I think people should remember that the sommerfield stores and their staff are under stress as it is, these shops changed hands, with three owners in less than two years, sommerfield itself is run like a "corner shop" everywhere else in the country and all its other stores are much smaller physically than the two in caithness. No matter what the management and staff do locally they cannot overcome the convenience store ethos of their senior management, they are severely limited as to what stock they can order and cannot order anything that is not on the list provided to them by management in the south. I believe they are not allowed to recruit staff and everytime someone leaves, goes on holiday or is off sick, they are left undermanned, people no longer have assistants who can cover for them when they are off. The (very young) staff do the best they can, despite the attitude of many customers. They all know their jobs are under threat, in fact you will see in todays Courier that the Elgin store is to close. I have lost count of the amount of threads on this forum with people slagging of local stores, its all been said before - give them a break they can only work with what they've got - as for rattling cages at head office - did you even speak to the management in the store first to clarify the facts?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero
    I hate this "Lets shut things down to make way for bigger shops. Let's shut it down because it didn't have the type of cheese I like.". Problems don't go away by throwing money at them. You will be sorry when ASDA (or whoever!) arrives. Trust me, you will be.
    I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by jay
    I think people should remember that the sommerfield stores and their staff are under stress as it is, these shops changed hands, with three owners in less than two years, sommerfield itself is run like a "corner shop" everywhere else in the country and all its other stores are much smaller physically than the two in caithness. No matter what the management and staff do locally they cannot overcome the convenience store ethos of their senior management, they are severely limited as to what stock they can order and cannot order anything that is not on the list provided to them by management in the south. I believe they are not allowed to recruit staff and everytime someone leaves, goes on holiday or is off sick, they are left undermanned, people no longer have assistants who can cover for them when they are off. The (very young) staff do the best they can, despite the attitude of many customers. They all know their jobs are under threat, in fact you will see in todays Courier that the Elgin store is to close. I have lost count of the amount of threads on this forum with people slagging of local stores, its all been said before - give them a break they can only work with what they've got - as for rattling cages at head office - did you even speak to the management in the store first to clarify the facts?
    I am making no comment on the staff at Sommerfield here.
    If what you are saying about how Sommerfield is managed from down south is correct,then Summerfield has no one to blame but itself if it closes
    There was an earlier thread listing all the good shops in Caithness, those who offer good products at good prices and most importantly good customer service: Those shops will survive no matter who comes here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast