Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Keeping unwanted dogs/children out my garden

Default Keeping unwanted dogs/children out my garden

Hi, has anyone got any cheap solutions for keeping unwanted dogs and children out my garden?
    I am heartily sick of feeling responsible for children, some as young as 3, who just wonder into my garden, I have a large dog ( he is no deterrant) and have to spend hours looking for him because others leave the gate open. Even my own children's outdoor toys go missing on a regular basis.
    I live very near the sea so not much grows, ie holly. I have permission from the council to highten my fence but can't afford to do this effectivly.
    Any suggestions?

Pallets.
    Cost nothing and you can make any shape or height you want.

You could try a strip of electric tape across the top. Legal as long as you put signs up (they don't hurt as much as you think - think getting a static shock off a tap type pain). It wouldn't stop them coming through the gate though . Have you thought of a combination padlock? (give the code to the postie though )

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    You could try a strip of electric tape across the top. Legal as long as you put signs up (they don't hurt as much as you think - think getting a static shock off a tap type pain). It wouldn't stop them coming through the gate though . Have you thought of a combination padlock? (give the code to the postie though )
    yuk................do not like that idea..............

Quote Originally Posted by barmar62 View Post
    Hi, has anyone got any cheap solutions for keeping unwanted dogs and children out my garden?
    I am heartily sick of feeling responsible for children, some as young as 3, who just wonder into my garden, I have a large dog ( he is no deterrant) and have to spend hours looking for him because others leave the gate open. Even my own children's outdoor toys go missing on a regular basis.
    I live very near the sea so not much grows, ie holly. I have permission from the council to highten my fence but can't afford to do this effectivly.
    Any suggestions?
    Padlock on the gate..............easy solution.Not cruel either!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BINBOB View Post
    yuk................do not like that idea..............
    What's wrong with that idea? I don't get the yuk...