Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: another cat problem

Arrow another cat problem

A neighbour cat has decided that my flower beds are his litter box grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I am tired of cleaning up his poop!

I have tried many things to deter him: sprinkling cayenne pepper, spraying Cat B Gone which contains hot pepper oil, embedding bamboo skewers in the ground, squirting him with the hose when I catch him....all to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a nonviolent way to stop this nuisance?

Buy an elephant!!

Have you spoken to your neighbour about it? Our cats use my neighbours garden as their toilet but my boyfriend or I go round and scoop up the poops ourselves, which our neighbours are quite happy about. Maybe your neighbours would be prepared to do the same? If not, then I'm not sure - I'm surprised the water didn't deter them! Orange peel might work if you place it round the flower bed. My cats are scared of orange peel - they don't like the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass
    A neighbour cat has decided that my flower beds are his litter box grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I am tired of cleaning up his poop!

I have tried many things to deter him: sprinkling cayenne pepper, spraying Cat B Gone which contains hot pepper oil, embedding bamboo skewers in the ground, squirting him with the hose when I catch him....all to no avail.

Check out these websites! They offer great solutions to deter cats....

www.deteracat.co.uk

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/pro..._id=402&r=GOOG

I particularly like the motion sensor options, when a cat passes it gets squirted with water!

www.ferndale-lodge.co.uk/pd_566055.htm
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Just think yourself lucky that your cat ain't this size!!!

unicorn Guest

try getting the plant scardey cat, cat's dont like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass

I'll come round with my shotgun if you want!

Default Assault rifle for cats

Hi,
    A solution that I found works well (and is great fun to boot!) is to buy yourself one of those pump-up water rifles. Everytime pussykins sneaks into your garden pop out slowly and give the cat a total tankful. A couple of good soakings soon gets the message across - they are quite intelligent and it isn't long before they get the message.

Works with pesky squirrels as well.

Ricco
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Talking

Get a terrier. See cat in garden and open the door.... much yapping and flurry of fur later... Worked for me! Only thing now is trying to keep him off the flower beds!!!

Just think yourself lucky that your cat ain't this size!!!

That's a Tiger! not a pussy cat!!!

I would have a chat with the cats owner if I knew where he lived, and unfortunately my terrier died a few years back....in the meantime I'll try using orange peels and a few other tricks from those websites. Something is bound to do the trick! Thanks everyone.

If you have a small area of garden where you wouldn't mind the cat using as a toilet you could sprinkle some cat litter in the area to encourage them to use that small area instead of the whole garden. Just read that in a leaflet i got from the vets.

I'm going to try it in my own garden when i finally let the kitten out of the house. Hopefuly this will encourage it to do the toilet in its own garden and not pester my neighbours.
    To stay young live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age.

Isn't there something about putting orange peel near plants so cats stay away from them?
    Apparently it works? May be worth a shot?
    CaItHnEsS GiRl... x

unicorn Guest

They don't like mothballs either.

Dogs are great for keeping cats out of gardens.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Just Outside The Gateway To Hell 3rd House On The Left

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater
    Dogs are great for keeping cats out of gardens.
    So are land mines with cat food on em !!!
    Give a child a hammer and the whole world becomes a nail

Plastic lemonade bottles half filled with water, placed on their side around the garden is "supposed" to help.

Scaredy Cat plant
    http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk...2131/1?SA=1303
    Last edited by Geo; 07-Apr-06 at 12:58.

Elephant dung is also supposed to be a good deterant
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I used to have a terrible problem with cat poo in my flower beds, this was before I got a dog... So I put those small sticks for proping up plants all over the flower bed - they are green and blend in quite well. I smothered the flower beds with them, and it did do the trick. They stuck up about 10cms above the ground so when the cat went to squat it got it's bum skewered. I remember one morning just after I have put them up hearing a horrendous meeeooowwwing.... needles to say that cat never came back! (Sorry cat lovers! but when you have cat poo all over you lovely garden it gets a bit much to say the least!!!! I like cats, but not the neighbourhoods' pooing in my garden!) Anyway, I had tried all the other tricks of orange peel, pepper, water bottles, etc. I found the scaredycat plants need to be planted quite close together, 1 or 2 is not enough!!!

Good Luck!

Hey Sassy,
    my youngest girl is looking for a summer job, and even has two waterblaster guns. She would be happy to empty a few sharp litres at the running flank of Mr. Poops.

You provide the lawn chair, a bag of tortilla chips and minimum wages, and you'll have the pleasure of her maniacal laughter in your yard.
    xo, H

PS. if you provide fresh limeade, I will take the weekend shift.