Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread shutting, etc

If I see something I don't like or care about, I move on............

Quote Originally Posted by Blast! View Post
    Members of Caithness.org in being petty shocker....the mods are the worst!......

Hardly, Blast. they're the ones who have to try and police the line between 'robust debate/annoyed bickering' and going completely over the top.

Bear in mind that this forum is for the whole population of Caithness (and beyond) and all age groups, so it's always going to be nigh on impossible to get a balance that suits everybody. If we had more in common than just an interest in one location, then we could moderate to suit the mindset of that group.

For example, I am only a member of one other forum, that forum is for BMW overland bikes and is made up of mainly guys between 30-70 who have travelled quite a bit and who are absolutely ruthless when it comes to debate and argument. A lot of us meet up at rallies, on worldwide/UK overland trips and at get-togethers just for the craic (and copious amounts of beer). Because of this, the forum is almost self-regulating, as we all know and, to a point, respect each others opinion as we know there is a real chance of it spilling over into 'the real world'. But the language, arguments(....sorry, 'robust debate') and topics on there would have half the population of the .Org going into a dead faint...

Yes, I get infuriated when a topic that is getting rather 'robust' has to be pulled, but the Mods have to consider a broad spectrum of people, not one small community who have similar values. Damned if yer do, damned if yer don't....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    An updated Forum Rules is close to being finalised and these type of comments have been taken on board and are incorporated within them.
    Your opinion of course, but thankfully we mods have thick hides! As has been discussed many times before we are damned if we do and damned if we don't - users just have to remember that without mods this forum would have had to shut down years ago. When the Org went down for a few days the consensus on its return was that the vast majority of users are happier having a service than none at all.
    TBH, Bob, although I can agree that the T&C's need tweaking, in the heat of the moment...it won't make one scrap of difference.

This place is OK, personally I find some of the content banal, but I choose not to comment on those threads (unless I'm feeling particularly mischievous) and would prefer a more 'open season' policy. But I know that really, it's not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    Ah but Northerner - you tend to talk sense. You can put a good argument up for you difference of opininion in an articulate, non-argumentative way.

Me? Sense? I'm not sure about the non-argumentative bit either!
    Last edited by northener; 12-Sep-09 at 13:19.

Nah the fun is sucked out when your not allowed to say "bums" or "farts" or "poopies!!!"

and i agree with blaast, there is a lot of inane drivel coming out of the orgers, most of whom have no life or mental problems

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Nah the fun is sucked out when your not allowed to say "bums" or "farts" or "poopies!!!"

and i agree with blaast, there is a lot of inane drivel coming out of the orgers, most of whom have no life or mental problems
    But that's what happens in a broad church, Kenneth.

It will attract those who have no real interest in adding something positive. It's a general forum - so it will attract general types...not all of whom will have everyones best interests at heart. We're bound to get the odd prat who comes out with moronic statements and then bursts into tears when challenged..all part of lifes rich tapestry.

Bums!

Some one, via PM, has said to me that it is very rich (not precise words!) of me to have posted this thread after "what I did to Percy". I am not aware of having done anything "to him". What I did do was call his bullying, intolerance and biggotry by their name. His type of posting is exactly what I am complaining about in this thread. It was a hateful and hate inducing type of posting, that is even legally questionable. It was insulting to swathes of people, in both screen personas he assumed. He did belittle people instead of replying to any weaknesses pointed out in his posturings.
    So it seems that even though Elvis left the building (and I did appreciate the slam of the door as he left), his ghost is still present, even if in the memory of some orgers, who are sore, apparently at me. I am flatered, but I think you will recall that PT dug the hole and bought the coffin, with his sanitised racism and biggotry.
    PS: I don't want anymore PM's about PT, LM or how I "did him wrong". He is gone from the org. We will all be some day. Move on.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Ju, I think your response should have been made privately to the email -- I don't see the point of posting it in this thread. Percy's ghost will always be present if you continue to haul him over the coals.

As Ju has not named the orger in question, I don't see a problem with the post as it is merely being used to show what can happen behind the front face of the forem.
    Having been the recipient of some vitriolic pms myself in the past I know what it feels like.

Abuse in posts is bad enough and unnecessary - it is (or should be) perfectly possible to have a heated argument without slinging insults. Abuse in PMs is unforgiveable and cowardly. Presumably the senders can be reported?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret M. View Post
    Ju, I think your response should have been made privately to the email -- I don't see the point of posting it in this thread. Percy's ghost will always be present if you continue to haul him over the coals.
    I am not hauling him over the coals. I have not mentioned him since the last thread I answered him to his face to. I answered in public because that way maybe this person will leave me alone.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Like everything else, the forum evolves.

People come and go; orgers who were excommunicated years ago would have hardly got a warning now although many posters do seem very touchy.

Maybe the Lord High executioner would think about offering a pardon to those who were banned in the past before the most recent overhaul of the rules. Those naughty girls and boys could apply for a pardon and see what happens.

I am sure that many of the petty brigade will move on once there are no toys left in the pram .

I give up.

Well I never Percy's got his own forum.
    Last edited by Niall Fernie; 14-Sep-09 at 14:33. Reason: removed quote

Two posts and your banned..is that a record.?
    Last edited by Niall Fernie; 14-Sep-09 at 14:33. Reason: removed quote
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    Two posts and your banned..is that a record.?
    It could be a record. In fact it could happen in one post if serious enough.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Well said Ju, this board has become quite stomach turning recently and it is a real shame as I am sure it is not a true representation of the people of Caithness.
    It seems that those that shout loudest and longest are taking over and turning a nice place into a war zone.
    That actually sounds very representative of Caithness...

I think that this thread was about the reason that threads are shut or locked, now correct me if I am wrong ( and i'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will), but if you care to look at why threads are closed it's always for the same reason, going back and looking at some of the threads (which are closed) you will usually find that some one always makes an insult, some one always takes offence and usually one or more people get banned or suspended. It seems to me that those who get the last word on a thread, tend to leave it with either the demand for an answer where the powers that be say thats it closed. Therefor the person who should have to respond can't and therefor decide well if I cant have my say then stuff it i'm off. Which begs the question why are the org masters not deleting the complete thread from the forum instead of letting it hang around like a bad smell for all to see. The problem with troublesome threads are usually the last few comments posted, where people feel compelled to respond and in some cases quite aggressively, it can be a vicious circle....

[quote=Rheghead;593272]The trouble is that certain people take being corrected or being presented with a difference of opinion (which makes more sense) as a personal attack. Their pride gets in the way of acknowledging what's right and what's wrong.

I take this point, like you say some people can give criticism,
    but not receive it. all they do is moan and belittle and try their best to do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_ View Post
    I give up.
    aww don't give up, you're one of the sane ones

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

What a joke.

Ju - you'll remember many times before that this has been debated - even to the point that we were voting moderators, getting all heated up, where the webmasters were going to pack it in etc. This is nothing new. There's a huge amount of opinion in the public domain - it's called the world we live in.

We can choose to put up with it, ignore it, challenge it, debate it, give up on it - endless choices......

Your opinion is stated. That's fine by me. But personally, I miss the rat-pack. There was nothing better than getting the teeth sharpened, the brass neck polished and the knuckles cracked ready for a whack at Landmarker et al. I enjoyed the tussles - and gave as good as I got. If the folk don't like it - polish up the brass neck and give back - or give up. Two simple choices. Not everyone will see a point of view through the same glasses - that's what starts it. Not everyone accepts what is stated the way it was meant. And to be perfectly honest - the academic ability contributes. Those with a greater skill in communication will tend to be stronger contriubtors to threads regardless of their actual knowledge of the subject material.

Get them all back on here - and let's a have a right ding-dong - it's well overdue.

What's with the two posts and you're banned thing btw? Did I miss something here? This org moves to fast for me y'know.

WBG

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee View Post
    What a joke.

Ju - you'll remember many times before that this has been debated - even to the point that we were voting moderators, getting all heated up, where the webmasters were going to pack it in etc. This is nothing new. There's a huge amount of opinion in the public domain - it's called the world we live in.

We can choose to put up with it, ignore it, challenge it, debate it, give up on it - endless choices......

Your opinion is stated. That's fine by me. But personally, I miss the rat-pack. There was nothing better than getting the teeth sharpened, the brass neck polished and the knuckles cracked ready for a whack at Landmarker et al. I enjoyed the tussles - and gave as good as I got. If the folk don't like it - polish up the brass neck and give back - or give up. Two simple choices. Not everyone will see a point of view through the same glasses - that's what starts it. Not everyone accepts what is stated the way it was meant. And to be perfectly honest - the academic ability contributes. Those with a greater skill in communication will tend to be stronger contriubtors to threads regardless of their actual knowledge of the subject material.

Get them all back on here - and let's a have a right ding-dong - it's well overdue.

What's with the two posts and you're banned thing btw? Did I miss something here? This org moves to fast for me y'know.

WBG
    Someone came on and said something that I thought was ok on this thread but by the time I came back to it they were banned.
    It was only their second post,its also been removed so like any good "conspiracy" theory the plot thickens....
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast