Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bird of prey in Thurso garden

Default Bird of prey in Thurso garden

Two nights ago:

Lok how the rabbits are keeping out of sight!

Hi Sids

It's a Sparrowhawk

Here's a photo of one at it's nest with young.

Sparrowhawk female at nest with young.

nirofo.

Default Bird of prey in Thurso garden

That must have been a scary moment for your rabbits, today our young hens were hiding under the van, when i looked about to see why, here was two buzzards hovering.
    Nirofo thank-you for posting such a beautiful photo.

Default chicken hawks

We,ve kept chickens now for a few years - there's been buzzards, sparrowhawks and hen harriers around the place but never an attack . The only hawk attack came form a harris released from someones arm. I don't know why,the chickens would be an easy target, I guess they must have the fear of man factor that the birds in town have lost somewhat.

Default Sparrowhawk

I wonder if it was the same one as I saw recently?

Lucky you. I have never been lucky enough to have one stay in the garden for a photo. They seem to be more common these last few years around the town. Not everyones ideal garden bird though.
    Away with the birds

All my little Goldfinches, Siskins etc have just scattered with a mad fluttering of little wings... I think this may have something to do with it...

Apologies for the poor photo quality - this is the first time I've managed to get a pic of one in the garden, and it's been taken through a foosum window with the bloomin' camera flash on .
    WeeBurd.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBurd View Post
    All my little Goldfinches, Siskins etc have just scattered with a mad fluttering of little wings... I think this may have something to do with it...

Apologies for the poor photo quality - this is the first time I've managed to get a pic of one in the garden, and it's been taken through a foosum window with the bloomin' camera flash on .
    I was trying to take a picture of a sparrow hawk through our kitchen window last year and the flash kept going and all I got was a photo of the inside of a misty window. I was lucky that I had a little bit of battery in my video camera and got the following clip.
    I have posted this before so apologies in advance to anyone that is bored with it

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Nice one, Kevin!
    WeeBurd.