Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Good Luck to Rheghead ! Not long now.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Good Luck to Rheghead ! Not long now.

Good Luck to Rheghead who is about to embark on his cycle ride from Landsend to John o Groats in October.

I was just wondering with a little help from fellow orger's if we could make his sponsor sheet look a little more healthy.This is an extremely good cause which he is cycling for.

I was having a wee peek and thinking it would be nice to see a few more names on your form.

The very best of luck to you and if you need a cup of tea be sure to stop at my house on the way past.

Oh and if your a little saddle sore there may be some ointment lying around but you'll have to rub it on yerself.

http://www.justgiving.com/RussHayley/

Thank you for posting this. I am already over-whelmed by the generosity of my fellow orgers! Very humbling indeed. My job is to keep training until I make the first epic journey, that is from Thurso the most northerly station to the most southerly, Penzance.

A big thank you to everyone!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I hope you have good weather if not...........................oopsie as my youngest would say.

Well its a total lottery with what a long-distance cyclist gets so I take the Que sera(sp) approach. Still, I want to sacrifice 50 bulls everyday in honor of Helios in the vain hope of kindly airs.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Hope the weather is kind to you, when Chris Hoy and his team from Azda arrived in Wick last week it was terrible, they didn't want to leave the cafe for the last section, but they did.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Have you set yourself a time limit? If not just take your time and your tent Make sure you dont set off the same time as the Causewaymire boy racer time trials though. Enjoy.

Rhegs, ride well in this hoolie of a wind.

Thanks Moira and Canuck in helping get me Rheghead's phone number. I've been in touch with his wife and got his mobile number so shall give an update on his whereabouts once I've spoken to him.

Gee Rhegers been away for a while wish all the best on this super trip hope no repairs are needed and don`t forget do not ride faster than your guardian angel ....

Default Rheghead

Just after 8am on Sunday 4th October. The Severn Road Bridge looks good under an autumn sky. A few wispy clouds float above but the sun is trying to shine through to welcome our Cycling Hero !
    The roads are dry and the air is crisp. Now we wait.

Carry on Pedalling Rheghead

Trinkie

Default Severn Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Just after 8am on Sunday 4th October. The Severn Road Bridge looks good under an autumn sky. A few wispy clouds float above but the sun is trying to shine through to welcome our Cycling Hero !
    The roads are dry and the air is crisp. Now we wait.

Carry on Pedalling Rheghead

Trinkie
    Is it the old bridge to Chepstow that he will be coming over?

Has anyone a link to the web-cam?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Default Rheghead

Joxville and I met Rheghead and his friend on the Old Severn Road Bridge around 3.30pm this afternoon. They looked good and are doing well. Although today was dry they have had some rain, and they found the undulating terrain of Devon and Cornwall a bit tiring !
    After a welcoming cup of tea at my place the two cyclists left for the Wye Valley at 5.45, and Joxville headed back home.

It was so good to see them and put faces to names. We had a great blether and exchanged Caithness stories!

Now I wish them a safe journey as they make their way north - what a long way they have to go yet.

Lovely lads,

Trinkie

Default Severn Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Joxville and I met Rheghead and his friend on the Old Severn Road Bridge around 3.30pm this afternoon. They looked good and are doing well. Although today was dry they have had some rain, and they found the undulating terrain of Devon and Cornwall a bit tiring !
    After a welcoming cup of tea at my place the two cyclists left for the Wye Valley at 5.45, and Joxville headed back home.

It was so good to see them and put faces to names. We had a great blether and exchanged Caithness stories!

Now I wish them a safe journey as they make their way north - what a long way they have to go yet.

Lovely lads,

Trinkie
    Thanks for the update trinkie, it's good to hear they are making good progress.
    I used to get very tired just driving from Exeter to South Wales, so I have the utmost admiration for anyone that would take on this epic trip on a push bike.

Do you live down that way?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

That is excellent news Trinkie.

It's good to know that you and Joxville provided a traditional Caithness welcome for Rheghead and his friend today. They are so far from home and still have a long way to go so I'm sure it was very much appreciated.

Rheghead - go for it man! A couple of my students did it during the summer and lived to tell the tale. Makes my Palace to Palace seem insignificant by comparison. Good luck, mate!

"Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

I would have posted sooner but I was sleeping, received this at 14.40:

At Tebay now, not far to Scotland.

Default Rheghead

Thank you for the updates joxville.... my word! They're doing very well despite the punctures!
    I know they are to meet up with some Orgers in Edinburgh, but what about the Border? It would be great to have a really Scottish Welcome there.

Power to the Pedals,
    Trinkie

Default Latest news

our intrepid duo have reached the Lazonby Campsite near Penrith, and are averaging 60 miles a day at present, they are enjoying a dram or two of Grouse at the moment.
    Eta Edinburgh is hopefully sometime Monday
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

"At Tebay now, not far to Scotland." when my OH and I did our LEJOG back in 1980 seem to remember that a few hundred yards up from Tebay was half-way, so it's "down Hill" from now on Rheghead! keep on going...