Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Webcam Help?

Default Webcam Help?

I am having trouble with getting a web cam set up properly. It is set to watch outside, through a window. During full daylight, the light floods the image and no definition can be seen just completely washed out, but as soon as the light goes a bit (i.e. 7-7.30 pm) all you can see is a very dark almost black square even though its quite light. I have tried messing about with the 'brightness' and 'contrast ' sliders with little or no improvement! Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

I would have thought that an Auto setting (if there is one) would be best - but it may also depend on the quality of the web cam and accompanying software being used.

i've had the same problem bob, it seems most are set up to work with low light so draw in too much light when pointing outdoors

i'm thinking along the lines of a couple ND filters in front of each camera will sort of sort it.... i have a blue grad ND in front of mine which helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    I would have thought that an Auto setting (if there is one) would be best - but it may also depend on the quality of the web cam and accompanying software being used.
    Thanks for your comment
    I have it on Auto, and it is a mid range webcam, priced about £18.00. If you have time could you go to www.tugmistress.co.uk and click on Keiss Webcam, and you will see what I mean?

Oo-er see what you mean - very washed out. Is it possibly getting reflection from the window? How close is it to said window? Have you tried a different cam or tried that cam on a different PC to see if the cam is at fauly? Bit difficult to diagnose TBH without seeing the conditions etc.

I'm over in Keiss on Sunday 'bout 3.30 - 4pm if you'd like me to take a look?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Oo-er see what you mean - very washed out. Is it possibly getting reflection from the window? How close is it to said window? Have you tried a different cam or tried that cam on a different PC to see if the cam is at fauly? Bit difficult to diagnose TBH without seeing the conditions etc.

I'm over in Keiss on Sunday 'bout 3.30 - 4pm if you'd like me to take a
    look?
    Yes that might be useful! Thanks! give me a call sunday morning to arrange? (Not too early lol!!)