Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: new shops in wick

Default new shops in wick

hi can any one tell me whether the new argos and them are open yet as i am quite far away and dont have transport
    c jones

Quote Originally Posted by cezzy1234
    hi can any one tell me whether the new argos and them are open yet as i am quite far away and dont have transport
    Not open yet i think it's the end of this month.

I think they're supposed to be opening on the Easter weekend...
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

14th April

Homebase is opening on the 13th but argos isn't supposed to be until the end of may!!

Default new shops in wick

what about New Look?

was in new look on friday and the sparky said he had 3 weeks work still to do.

Superdrug opens this Friday 7th, 10% off too.

There is a bus stop by the new shops so you could use the buses going to inverness, lybster, dungeath, berriedale etc. they will all stop there
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

I'll be one of the first in the queue for Homebase. Bathroom half demolished and waiting for the tiles. I only hope they have a good choice.
    To stay young live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age.

Default New Look

New Look should be opening end of April, not sure about the other ones although I heard the Homebase staff have started work and are in stocking up.

Superdrug staff are the same I think......................

New Look staff away for training last week of April to Inverness, but not too sure of when they are open.......... (can you tell my daughter got a job there!)

Bring them on.........., and all you folkies from out of town planning to visit.... mind and go a lookie down the street before shooting off home....... Wetherspoons is a great place to go for food (yes I know its not a local pub but does employ local people!), and the stalls on the street are worth a wee lookie.

Quote Originally Posted by meandhim
    Bring them on.........., and all you folkies from out of town planning to visit.... mind and go a lookie down the street before shooting off home.......
    Trouble is that there will be no other shops on the street to visit!! The Music Shop is gone, who will be next? If Tesco does open here even shops like Woolies will feel the pinch. Mackays, Boots, MacAllans the Painters, Geddes', R S Waters will all be under pressure. Better get used to the idea of Takeaways, Bookies and Pubs being the story in the town "centre"

Maybe Tesco will open their own Takeaway and Bookies, they can then put fence round the town and a sign at the Ord saying, "Welcome to Tesco", "Formerly Twinned with Wick but, Like Cain and Abel, One had to go"

I also heard that since Tesco "owns" more than 50% of Inverness there are plans underway to convert the city name to Invertess. This will be followed by changing the local body of water to Loch Tess and the Monster will officially be known as The Loch Tess Monster from now on and duly marketed as Tessie in all Tesco tourist outlets ie All of them.

Ach well, it will give those shop keepers who so beloved the Wednesday closure more free time to attend to whatever it is they do when they can't be bothered earning a crust.

I for one prefer the shops in Wick than Thurso and they have friendlier staff. But nothing bugs me more than forgetting its half day closing or if they shut for lunch and they have plenty staff to stagger lunch breaks!! Then they moan in the papers when we go else where to shop.

krieve Guest

I must admit that i could'nt be happier that Wick has all these new shops opening and hopefully Tesco to. You here all the shop keepers complaining about the new shops, how they will lose business and maybe even shut. But to be honest the shop keepers have been ripping us of for years. The shops never have stuff you are looking for and you have to order it online or go to inverness. The shop closing, no wonder the prices they charge. Role on Homebase, Argos, New look,Super drug,Tesco and Asda as well hopefully and whoever else want to come .

Quote Originally Posted by krieve
    I must admit that i could'nt be happier that Wick has all these new shops opening and hopefully Tesco to. You here all the shop keepers complaining about the new shops, how they will lose business and maybe even shut. But to be honest the shop keepers have been ripping us of for years. The shops never have stuff you are looking for and you have to order it online or go to inverness. The shop closing, no wonder the prices they charge. Role on Homebase, Argos, New look,Super drug,Tesco and Asda as well hopefully and whoever else want to come .
    very true krieve.

Quote Originally Posted by krieve
    To be fair to local stores it is impossible for them to compete with massive companies in terms of pricing. I spoke to a guy who runs a local store and he told me that Lidls is selling items for way less than he can buy them in for. It doesn't take Stephen Hawking to work out that you are urinating against Hurricane Katrina in that scenario.

The way some people are going on about Tesco et al arriving you would think that it was Jesus' second coming. There is only so much money to go around, jobs will be created but jobs will also be lost. There will be nothing in the town centre to give the town any sense of character at all. Even downtown Los Angeles became a virtual ghost town when giant shopping malls became the choice of the consumer. Since Wick is already half way to Boot Hill it doesn't take much imagination to see a hollow centre forming.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie
    To be fair to local stores it is impossible for them to compete with massive companies in terms of pricing. I spoke to a guy who runs a local store and he told me that Lidls is selling items for way less than he can buy them in for. It doesn't take Stephen Hawking to work out that you are urinating against Hurricane Katrina in that scenario.

The way some people are going on about Tesco et al arriving you would think that it was Jesus' second coming. There is only so much money to go around, jobs will be created but jobs will also be lost. There will be nothing in the town centre to give the town any sense of character at all. Even downtown Los Angeles became a virtual ghost town when giant shopping malls became the choice of the consumer. Since Wick is already half way to Boot Hill it doesn't take much imagination to see a hollow centre forming.
    Fair comment Scorrie but when you do shop locally and can't find what you are looking for. Several times i have been told "we can order it for you" "it'll only take 3 weeks" sorry i'm off to Inverness or the internet.
    To stay young live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age.