Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finley Quaye - Blackstairs Lounge

As someone who shares a firm interest in all aspects of music in Scotland (and not just within a 50-mile radius of my location), I do appreciate your efforts in taking, what one might call, “names”, to areas of the country we might usually not expect to see them in. I also appreciate the costs in taking such people to the Far North. However, unless Finley’s management define his fee according to each, particular venue, I fail to see why you’d need to stick an extra £7 on a ticket that, everywhere else, is approx. £10.

As for the gigs you put on for free: how, then, pray tell - and am genuinely interested - do you manage to pay the acts you put on?

Call it sniping if you must, but I, like many others I would imagine, would like to know if they are getting a fair deal for their money.

For the love of god, shut up Pepsi. Whether you're just stirring, or whether you're actually serious, just shut up!

What "MusicWicker" wants to charge is up to him. Not you or I.

You wouldn't be questioning that fee if it was being held in the Lighthouse would you?

I think there's more chance of you changing your reading habits, than me changing my typing habits, theboss, so relax, please. Granted, it is up to wickerman to decide on a price, just don't expect everyone to buy it (no pun intended).

The Lighthouse, incidentally, hold private, invitation-only events which are not open-to-the-public performances - or have you not gathered that by now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    As someone who shares a firm interest in all aspects of music in Scotland (and not just within a 50-mile radius of my location), I do appreciate your efforts in taking, what one might call, “names”, to areas of the country we might usually not expect to see them in. I also appreciate the costs in taking such people to the Far North. However, unless Finley’s management define his fee according to each, particular venue, I fail to see why you’d need to stick an extra £7 on a ticket that, everywhere else, is approx. £10.

As for the gigs you put on for free: how, then, pray tell - and am genuinely interested - do you manage to pay the acts you put on?

Call it sniping if you must, but I, like many others I would imagine, would like to know if they are getting a fair deal for their money.
    Quote Originally Posted by theboss View Post
    For the love of god, shut up Pepsi. Whether you're just stirring, or whether you're actually serious, just shut up!

What "MusicWicker" wants to charge is up to him. Not you or I.

You wouldn't be questioning that fee if it was being held in the Lighthouse would you?
    Pepsi, I must admit that I agree with The Boss on this issue. BTW, Boss, our set donation for a gig here has always been the same, apart from the Little Feat gig.
    How does Musicwicker pay for his acts when there is no admission? Are you being deliberately thick? Like all other bars, the bar take pays as you well know. Also true, that, when JBIA play up here, you get paid more than you get in the City? This will also be true for Finley I would imagine.
    As for people getting their money's worth, people will pay £9/10 for a hole like Skinandi's with a disco and expensive booze. Hardly a consideration this £17 price tag.

I am quite relaxed Pepsi. I just don't like seeing folk who are actually trying to do something worthwhile for local gig-goers getting a hard time for no apparent reason.

I know how the Lighthouse gigs work and have no issue with it. My point is that you seem to have one set of rules for one person and another set of rules for others. Please leave MusicWicker alone. As I said, how he runs his gigs is nothing to do with you or me. I support him in all of his ventures as I can see he's trying to make a difference to live music in the county. This should be applauded, not questioned!

Gleber2, I don't know what you are charging these days, but, I certainly wouldn't question it. It's nothing to do with me or anyone else who is not involved in the promotion of the gigs. I hope Pepsi can apply the same attitude.

I asked him (wickerman) a simple question about how he could justify charging what he does, and he responded. I don't agree with it, but I am happy with his reply. I have already (in other threads) commended him on several occasions about bringing more established acts to the Far North, and long may it continue. Should he come into more money, however, may I suggest you offer him your PR services. A man needs a maid.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    I asked him (wickerman) a simple question about how he could justify charging what he does, and he responded. I don't agree with it, but I am happy with his reply. I have already (in other threads) commended him on several occasions about bringing more established acts to the Far North, and long may it continue. Should he come into more money, however, may I suggest you offer him your PR services. A man needs a maid.
    As a matter of fact young Pepsi, I already design all of his promotional material for all of his gigs, and i've never asked for a penny. You see, that's a how a community works Bazza. People help each other out!

I gotta chuck my tuppince worth in.

When I first heard about the gig I though it was a bit of a coup, while also thinking, jeez, thats a lot of money.

But, I understand exactly what it takes to bring any kind of band up here and the costs involved, so If Musicwicker chooses to put on these gigs and pay the fee involved then good on him. Hardly anyone else is doin it!

What did strike me was the fee itself. It must be substantail by the time its 17 bucks a ticket!!! I mean this is a washed up drug fuelled blubbering idiot who got lucky with one track and has dragged it out for over a decade, and folk are still willing to pay money, actual real money they earn by working, to see him

And thats about all I have to say.

Pepsi. How many other gigs is the act doing local to the area?

While I swallow the idea you may have some problems with english, even as an experienced journalist; I draw the line at a gigging musician pretending ignorance of the costs associated with bringing an established act hundreds of miles north of the normal circuit for a one off gig.

Bola bola, as my other half would say.

Cazart. Only in Caithness! Quality arguement.

I've seen bigger names for a lot less but then again, not this close to home. Except Dodgy who justified their name quite well.

If i was a Finlay fan i dont think i'd balk at paying that. Johnny pointed out that you could spend that getting into skins disco and buying one round of drink. For that money, i want jimmy saville atop a unicorn as the DJ.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

My comment re: wickerman and how he pays bands that appear at his free gigs, was an assumption (you have to spell out everything round here) that the bands in question were professional musicians (i.e. artists who make their living purely from playing music). I doubt most pub bands are. Sorry about the confusion, but don't let that stop y'all from jumping to conclusions.

I mean this is a washed up drug fuelled blubbering idiot who never even got lucky with one track and has dragged it out for decades, and folk are still willing to pay money, actual real money they earn by working, to see him.

..so could this profile not fit many people?

Touche, touche...

I'm not even gonna touch this one. Good on you guys winding each other up.

Just to put this to rest, heres some financial info on the gig for you.

Not that it's anybodys interest but it might shut pepsi up for a bit.

My bar holds around 80 people, so I have 80 tics on sale.

17 x 80 is £1360.

Finley is getting £1000 for the gig.

Sound Equip and Tech is £120

Extra Staff (Security / Bar) is £180 Total = £1360 - £1300 costs

So if the gig was to sell out, which it won't on a Monday night, I may make a whole £60 on the door.

Granted, I'll make some money on the bar but what would be the point if I didnt? I don't run my bar as a non profit organisation.

So if you do your sums, it is not feasible to put this gig on for £10, £12 etc. So as I say its £17 or no gig. I didn't just pull this price out of my a*se!

Maybe I am guilty of not getting a good deal from the artist, and if that was what I was getting accused of that would be fine. It's the fact that the insinuation is that I am trying to line my pockets at the expense of the locals that gets to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWicker View Post

17 x 80 is £1360.

So if the gig was to sell out, which it won't on a Monday night, I may make a whole £60 on the door.

Granted, I'll make some money on the bar but what would be the point if I didnt? I don't run my bar as a non profit organisation.

So if you do your sums, it is not feasible to put this gig on for £10, £12 etc. So as I say its £17 or no gig. I didn't just pull this price out of my a*se!

Maybe I am guilty of not getting a good deal from the artist, and if that was what I was getting accused of that would be fine. It's the fact that the insinuation is that I am trying to line my pockets at the expense of the locals that gets to me.
    Dont worry, Pepsi aint a local anymore.

He lost that status when he left Thurso wooping and jumping at the excitment of writing articles, such as taking up smoking for a week, and staying in haunted hotels, for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Dont worry, Pepsi aint a local anymore.

He lost that status when he left Thurso wooping and jumping at the excitment of writing articles, such as taking up smoking for a week, and staying in haunted hotels, for a living.
    Pmsl at that Big Mac
    Cmey e Scorries

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWicker View Post

17 x 80 is £1360.

I personally wouldnt give a flying bats testicle for what Pepsi says Mr C, He doesnt contribute anything to Wick or its community, whereas you have gotten off your backside in attempt to bring some half decent bands up here, Complete Stone Roses were excellent btw, I dont think you should have to explain anything to him but credit to you.
    Cmey e Scorries

Good on musicwicker for bringing up some very good acts! He mentioned one with a harp, I had a listen to them and rather liked them, shame I couldnt see them because I was working

TheBoss. do I recall you questioning what Brian Cardosi puts on the door for a Saturday night, for the Kiss act?

Also, I have to say I've never seen Pepsi making himself out to have an amazing job or anything like that, unless I have missed out on some org arguments...?

Anyhoo, I like Finley Quaye, might not pay £17 but then again Dice is a flipping brilliant tune! He has a great voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    TheBoss. do I recall you questioning what Brian Cardosi puts on the door for a Saturday night, for the Kiss act?
    No. You're havering Kenneth. I know why Skinandis' charge what they do for their acts, i'm there for most of them. Infact, the only act I haven't been working at in the last few months was the Kiss one and that was because I was in Aberdeen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast