Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Can't open data files

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,069

    Question Can't open data files

    When I click on attachments with some emails I get a message to say that windows cannot open this file and worried can someone help with this please?
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

  2. #2

    Default

    It might be that you don't have the program that support these files, assuming that they might be a certain type of file. Is it a spreadsheet, powerpoint presentation or something to that effect?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Connor. View Post
    It might be that you don't have the program that support these files, assuming that they might be a certain type of file. Is it a spreadsheet, powerpoint presentation or something to that effect?
    The one I am trying to open at the moment is an mp3 audio recording.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

  4. #4

    Default

    Are you using firefox or internet explorer?

    Or is it outlook express

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,069

    Default

    I have tried opening the file both through my BT Yahoo account and Incredimail but it won't work.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Save the attachment to the hard disk, scan it ! then open it, it should ask you to select the program to open with, choose windows media player from the list.......or open windows media player and choose to open the fille.

    See how you get on.
    STAY IN TUNE

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    wick
    Posts
    1,148

    Default

    i would be extremely careful about doing this unless you KNOW the sender and it is a PM not from another source.

    many many people do not adjust the setting in windows explorer, advanced tab, that says 'show file extensions'
    this leaves user vunerable to virus attack.

    if a file is labelled musictrack.jpg.exe [.jpg.exe is how trojans travel] without the above set to ON, you do not see the extention, you think its an audio track or a video but it is not, its a trojan.

    anyhow

    if you KNOW aand TRUST the sender, i would recommend eithr using media player as advised, or download and install winamp.

    dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    Save the attachment to the hard disk, scan it ! then open it, it should ask you to select the program to open with, choose windows media player from the list.......or open windows media player and choose to open the fille.

    See how you get on.
    Thanks but it won't play through windows media player either.

    Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    i would be extremely careful about doing this unless you KNOW the sender and it is a PM not from another source.

    many many people do not adjust the setting in windows explorer, advanced tab, that says 'show file extensions'
    this leaves user vunerable to virus attack.

    if a file is labelled musictrack.jpg.exe [.jpg.exe is how trojans travel] without the above set to ON, you do not see the extention, you think its an audio track or a video but it is not, its a trojan.

    anyhow

    if you KNOW aand TRUST the sender, i would recommend eithr using media player as advised, or download and install winamp.

    dx
    I will only open files if I know the person who has sent them to me. I installed winamp but can't get it to open through this either.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    wick
    Posts
    1,148

    Default

    then IMHO the file is corrupt.

    any chance you could PM it to me to and i'll look at it for you?

    dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,069

    Default

    That is really kind of you dx but the person who sent the email is going to send the recording to me via CD.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    wick
    Posts
    1,148

    Default

    ok
    no prob
    sri not been around but the trip from wick to epping took a wee bit of time............urm lots and lots of water till we hit inver!.

    as an int thought, what .ext does the file show as?

    dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,069

    Default

    Oops sorry I missed your reply.

    Glad your journey went ok considering all the flooding although longer than you had hoped.When are you moving to Wick?

    The only info I have on the file is that it is ATT193.dat
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    wick
    Posts
    1,148

    Default

    right well .dat files are not music!

    no player will open it!

    your friend need to send it as a music files.

    the following will explain what i mean.

    as i said in the first place i would be VERY sure of any files you open.

    .DAT is one of the most commonist trojan file formats.
    http://www.online-tech-tips.com/comp...pen-dat-files/

    dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    wick
    Posts
    1,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    .When are you moving to Wick?

    mrs is alrady up there running the business i follow at hol times till i retire soon.

    dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,069

    Default

    No it's not music but a recording of someone speaking.

    Don't worry I am always very careful about opening any attachment and won't do this unless I am certain of where it has come from.

    Glad it won't be too long before you are reunited with your better half.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •