Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Licensing (Scotland) act and the new Scottish Licensing laws

do these times only relate to shops and off-licences...surely not the 10pm one for pubs etc
    Keep it country

sorry this is now closed

No its not !!!!!!!!!!!

Thread re-opened as no reason given for closure

Arent you allowed to lock your own thread?
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by loganbiffy View Post
    And it's not everyday you can sell it from 10am, it's after 12:30pm on a Sunday
    It is from 10am on a Sunday as well.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

nope ...not yet 10am on a Sunday still after 12!

7am -7am would be better

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    nope ...not yet 10am on a Sunday still after 12!
    Well it is already happening.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    The new Laws came into operation on 1st September.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Does anyone REALLY believe it will stop alcoholism????

It wont, drunks arent stupid- if they know there not goin to get drink until 10am they will just buy more the night before- seemples!!!

Supermarkets are open all day, theres loads of places to get cheap drink & tanked up in Wick 7 days a week, a little change in the law isnt going to change it.
    Cmey e Scorries

I think it's a license thing. Some can be from 10am on a Sunday, but there's another license that is from 12:30 pm... or at least that's what I am led to believe.

I kind of agree with Amy. We have a local drunk in the village I am in at the moment (though doesn't every small place have its characters lol) - I've seen him sitting outside the shop before 7am with a few tins.
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

The new licensing laws are just another way of making money for the Highland Region. You now require a premises license at £250 and then you require an annual license for selling alcohol which is now £180 per annum. Previously you could have your license for 3years at a cost of £80. (for clubs)
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    The new licensing laws are just another way of making money for the Highland Region. You now require a premises license at £250 and then you require an annual license for selling alcohol which is now £180 per annum. Previously you could have your license for 3years at a cost of £80. (for clubs)
    Indeed, another example of a hypocritical 'it's for your own good' revenue stream being created...

I was in Inverness on friday getting my bike serviced. About 09:00 I was walking down the side of the river.
    Perched on a flight of steps were half a dozen of Inverness's finest residents, all guzzling cheap cider and going by the amount of empty PET bottles, they'd been at it for some time.

How can this possibly be? They can't get drink before 10?

Shouldn't they all be 'cured' by this new health-based legislation?

I was in Tescos yesterday and was shopping for someone else. I had two cans of stout on the list I had and when I went to purchase them there were no single cans on the shelf. When i enquired further, the assistant I asked then told me that by law they are not allowed to sell single cans anymore that they must be sold in a minimum of 4's. He said there was only one type of foreign lager that was on sale as singles. Is this not encouraging people to buy more drink than they actually need?

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    I was in Tescos yesterday and was shopping for someone else. I had two cans of stout on the list I had and when I went to purchase them there were no single cans on the shelf. When i enquired further, the assistant I asked then told me that by law they are not allowed to sell single cans anymore that they must be sold in a minimum of 4's. He said there was only one type of foreign lager that was on sale as singles. Is this not encouraging people to buy more drink than they actually need?

Is that just Tesco's rule or is it general.?
    If so its going to penalise the people like you that only need 1 or 2 cans.

I've seen the "alcoholics" going into the supermarket only having eneogh money for the one can.
    Now if the government are recognising an alcoholic by giving them extra money are they going to increase their allowence so they can buy a 4 pack.
    Are the pensioners going to have to go without because there budget only stetches for two can a week.

This new license is causing more problems than aleviating.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

what i find interesting is that people go on about drink like it is a necessity. ie eggs flour milk drink...
    there is nothing necessary about drink, and truth be told the whole world would be a lot better place without it.
    i have no problem with people having a night out and having a drink or two, but it seems to be part of the culture here, that every one must drink, and do it daily... (exageration btw) i would be quite happy for a dry country *WEG* just imagine the place then?
    i know people will gurn abou how its thier right to drink and do what they want, but really its as much anyones right not to drink, not the be abused by drunks and not to accosted by all the drink related crime that goes on in this country.
    but that is just my opinion.. and like armpits everyone has one and most two!
    http://itqueries.com/

where is it already happening ?

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    where is it already happening ?
    Ar eyou after a reviver in the morning or are you just fishing?
    Cmey e Scorries

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    what i find interesting is that people go on about drink like it is a necessity. ie eggs flour milk drink...
    there is nothing necessary about drink, and truth be told the whole world would be a lot better place without it.
    i have no problem with people having a night out and having a drink or two, but it seems to be part of the culture here, that every one must drink, and do it daily... (exageration btw) i would be quite happy for a dry country *WEG* just imagine the place then?
    i know people will gurn abou how its thier right to drink and do what they want, but really its as much anyones right not to drink, not the be abused by drunks and not to accosted by all the drink related crime that goes on in this country.
    but that is just my opinion.. and like armpits everyone has one and most two!
    Scotland will never be a dry country, the government would lose out on billions in taxes, the people would revolt & it would probably be in court for being against human rights to make a decision like that.

Its a bit like trying to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted in Scotland- theres too many who dont give a monkeys for it to be the politicians dream utopia
    Cmey e Scorries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast