Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: childhood memories

Default childhood memories

where were your favourite places your parents used to take you on holiday when you were a child

Doon the watter to Rothesay was a regular holiday for the family.When we could we managed to see my dads folks in Guernsey.That was amazing
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Remember going to Pontins down at Southport.I have to laugh now when you see re-runs of Hi-de-Hi cos thats exactly what it was like.

Me and ma brother were at the kids club,I think we all drove the poor guy to drink that ran it.As the guy tried his best but we were all bored.Well singing ten green bottles for the 50th time would cause anybody to rebel!!!!!!
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Coming home to Scrabster and living with my Granny, we lived at Scrabster Farm cottages, then the Mill House at the harbour, finally up the braes at the Crudins, Clett Terrace, running and falling doon the braes, getting a fry off the "Fisher Boy" and wishing I could sail on a beeg ship like the "Ola".
    Tasting her oatcakes and crowdie, which I can still remeber the taste to this day. And when I was good getting a "Pan Drop" and being told not to crunch it lol
    Last edited by golach; 01-Apr-06 at 09:34.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

pan drops and lucky tatties mmmm

Loved Deeside when I was little lovely still like it now. Who needs to go abroad when you have countryside like that on your doorstep

Default Memories

Spending holidays in converted railway carriages that were 50yrds from a lovely sand beach with rock pools full of sea life. Buckets every where when it rained but who cared when each night you could imagine yourself on a different journey as you pulled down the window blinds and settled into your bunk.

Going to Skerray to my mothers family every summer as a child, to their croft. At that time there was no electric or water, an outside toilet(a bucket)!!! they were the first people there to get electric and water. the cows and calfs, sheep and lambs, chickens, no tv, lots of people popping in, magic.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Fruit picking/camping holiday to Blairgowrie circa 1976. Cheap and cheerful but what a lot of fun!

We used to spend most of our summer holidays between my grandparents in Wick and my auntie's at Watten Mains.
    I also spent holidays in Skerray with my Granny - used to spend a lot of the time on the beach.

The whole family grans, grandad, aunties, cousins the lot went to Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae for years. Grandad would show us kids how to dig a hole under the deck chairs of grannie & auntie so when the chair collapsed we could all get a laugh at their long drawers. That was a long time ago but still sticks in my memory
    To stay young live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age.

Wan day a year till Week for e' annual holiday. Gosh, what a treat to look forward till. It wis great when it wis e' train we took.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

glasgow city center at my grans very noisy and no indoor toilet or bath

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich
    Fruit picking/camping holiday to Blairgowrie circa 1976. Cheap and cheerful but what a lot of fun!
    Berry Picking FUN??????? not when your father worked on a farm that grew Raspberrys in Perthshire, and most of your school holidays in July were spent on a berry field, biten alive by the berry bug, scratched by the thorns of the rasp canes. As a farm workers child the farmer expected you to work like a slave for pennies, admitedly this was in the 50's. But a lot of fun....no way
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Berry Picking FUN??????? not when your father worked on a farm that grew Raspberrys in Perthshire, and most of your school holidays in July were spent on a berry field, biten alive by the berry bug, scratched by the thorns of the rasp canes. As a farm workers child the farmer expected you to work like a slave for pennies, admitedly this was in the 50's. But a lot of fun....no way
    One man's food is another man's poison, eh! It was my first real holiday and I vividly remember eating, what must have been, my lifetime's supply of fruit in the space of a week.

It also resulted in one of the longest running stories/jokes in our family...

On the berry-picking site was a large barn with a big fan built into the wall. One day during the holiday I turned to my mum and said "I've just realised how they make the jam..." and she said "How is that?". My reply was "well they throw all the fruit through that fan which mushes it up and then they put it in the jars".

Ah, from the mouths of babes...

Thumbs up

used to have a great time staying with friends out at Scotscalder, loved helping to make the silage in the summer, and cutting the peats at at easter, hard work, but it was fun. Great when I would get a shot of driving the tractor.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life